Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Caim

Arcane
In before ENCHANTMENT guy is going to be plot critical and maybe a romance option.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Untitled-1.jpg

Drax

Arcane
I think the only way BW could (but wont) pump new life to the series is if they scaaaale dooown the plot, instead of going full epic retard, setting a smaller conflict (could even be in the past) where the game is less about SAVE EVERYTHING BY BEING GOD and more about playing up different "interest groups".
Ofc we pretty much know by now that Bethe... Bioware is too occupied eating it's own shit to make any change that would classify as "incline" so fuck'em..

I think the only way BW could (but wont) pump new life to the series is if they scaaaale dooown the plot, instead of going full epic retard, setting a smaller conflict (could even be in the past) where the game is less about SAVE EVERYTHING BY BEING GOD and more about playing up different "interest groups".
Ofc we pretty much know by now that Bethe... Bioware is too occupied eating it's own shit to make any change that would classify as "incline" so fuck'em..

Yes, we need another game to mix things up like Dragon Age 2 did.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Oh. . a new dragon age game is announced?

And you command an inquisitorial organization? Okay, okay, so far so good. .

AN ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENS....

Oh just the usual shite then

Caim

Arcane

Well, it's either an ancient darkness returning or a new darkness rising.

Ninjerk

Arcane

And it's based visually on Warcraft 3....

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Apparently the lead designer of Mass Effect 4 is replaying the whole trilogy now.....
Better late than never I guess, but still they could have at least replayed the second one after making the third.

The only way to lift the franchise out of the narrative shit barrel is to reboot the whole thing, but I doubt it's going to happen. My bet goes on a shitty spin-off taking place in so called in-between.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Not sure how it's a 1-up over Obsidian since Bioware made Mass Effect...

I was a huge Daggerfall fan, and yes, Mass Effect is a better game.

Ignoring the obvious graphical difference, it has more choices and consequences, more actual dialog, no Wikipedia filler NPCs, FAR less bugs. The only thing it lacks is stats that mean a damn to the plot and an open world you can piss away your life pretending to hike around. In that regard, Daggerfall has it beat hands down. Still, it's a more well put together game. If we start talking about which is the better RPG, we start running into definition of an RPG bullshit that has plagued this forum since I started reading it (Little over 10 years ago? I don't remember when exactly...), so I'm not even touching that. Though all said, Daggerfall was the more original title and I find myself wanting to replay it more than Mass Effect.

Really though, it isn't fair to either game to compare the two, given the differences in time and technology that have enabled Bioware to achieve cinematic graphics and animations that even current Bethesda artists and scripters can only dream of. And it doesn't have much to do with the discussion as Daggerfall Bethesda had actual heart and creativity, rather than the soulless console trash machine modern Bethesda has become.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
I was a huge Daggerfall fan, and yes, Mass Effect is a better game.

Ignoring the obvious graphical difference(oh biowaru sama, delicious 3d cock *gobblegobble*), it has more choices and consequences(dating blumangroup or phantomofthespaceopera, which is better and why? discuss!), more actual dialog(we'll bang, ok?), no Wikipedia filler NPCs(rip marauder shields), FAR less bugs(hallelujah brothers and sisters we have a point).
get fucked or git gud you homo.

Jetblack

Literate
How is that a bad thing?

Edit: That was to Jetblack post, but why not to the other one as well.

Its not that it is bad per se, but that the lead designer is replaying the whole series now...ya i think that´s an odd chronological order considering ME4 is supposed to be playable right now.

Jetblack

Literate
I just wanted to blow off some steam here. Apparently the lead designer of Mass Effect 4 is replaying the whole trilogy now.....like not a year ago when they started ME4, but now......
And this is after making a huge song and dance about "forget the first 3 games, forget Shepard, because even while ME4 will be in ME universe there will be no connection...ever!"
So why the fuck is the lead designer replaying the friggin series now? It´s like they have run out of ideas and now they are reverting to previous series for ideas.
Bioware just keep wrapping themselves up in contradictions, i reckon they don´t know whether they are coming or going.

This cannot be a good omen. ME4 will be total disaster.

Yeah, looking at other games in a series before you make a new game in said series is really fucking abominable. I mean.. looking at the old games?! What the fuck are they thinking!? :M

I´ve been clear its not the replaying of it. Its he is doing it now. has he even played it before? I dont know, but if its his first time then that´s even worse. Another thing is i replayed the series, racing through it and it still took like probably almost 100 hours in total. He´s got a lot of time on his hands as lead designer...

Jetblack

Literate

I agree. Any new galaxy saving storyline is just going to be overshadowed by the Reaper saga, and it will be even more funny if they refuse to mention the Reaper saga and its outcome. I bet they are getting their knickers in a proper twist, all because of their stupid savegame spaghetti junction.

DA2 was awful, but the story concept was one of the better ideas. Of course, Bioware might lack the writing capacity to implement that idea, but I'm not against them spending a few games working on it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Any new galaxy saving storyline is just going to be overshadowed by the Reaper saga, and it will be even more funny if they refuse to mention the Reaper saga and its outcome. I bet they are getting their knickers in a proper twist, all because of their stupid savegame spaghetti junction.
The new enemy: The RAPERS, an ancient secret organization made up entirely of white, heterosexual men. They aim to maintain the patriarchy at all costs, and must be stopped!

Lhynn

Arcane
Lambchop19 i had more fun with daggerfall than i ever had with mass effect, so yeah, daggerfall is in fact a better game and a better rpg.

The roots of rpgs can be traced back to disposable characters and simple, easy to follow stories that were more an excuse to kill stuff and grow in power than anything else. In that respect daggerfall is truer to the origins of the genre.

Fuck, i remember when having a lvl 15 mage was a fucking life achievement, the survival rate of a thing that had 1d4 hit points per level and a couple shit spells that could be resisted by most dangerous creatures was low, really low.

Nowadays you are expected to succed, you cannot lose, games dont punish your stupidity or ignorance.:x

Gonna go out for a breather.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Would it really be asking to much to have a plot similar to Mass Effect 1 without ANY Reapers/Evil Gods/Cthulhu thingys? I liked Saren as a villain.

Playing a special ops space cop/detective was actually kinda fun. Having to save the universe from a great evil one is banal and shit.

Caim

Arcane
Yeah, exactly. Return to the small scale of ME1 or go even smaller, with either detective work with a rogue agent like Saren or a terrorist group trying to blow up the citadel, AKA that spinoff game where you play as Jacob, except better and the size of a Mass Effect game.

Because otherwise I fear that they're going to pull a Halo 4 and break open a different can of world-ending nasties, which makes the Reapers feel less threatening.

IIRC, he inserted a tranny into toilet paper branded as dragon age comics.
He did, and it was posted about on the Codex. They said they did it to be more inclusive, but that person in question was (of course) not very interestingly written in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom