Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

eremita

Savant
Not likely. Making Ian S. Frazier a Lead Designer of the game wouldn't make much sense...

I'll start being optimistic with Bioware again when Dragon Age: Inquisition turns out not shit.
I'm not saying ME will be best game evah. Just that the shooter genre is very unlikely, because the team is led by someone who was part of the "resurrection" of Ultima and Kingdoms of Amalur and who claimed on several occasions that he loves RPGs. So this kind of person was promoted in company making RPGs to... make a shooter? Yep, that's bullshit. There's like a bazillion people more suitable for a pure shooter game.

My prediction is that it's gonna have the same core gameplay (TPS with stats/skills) with some new shit on top of that. Simple as that.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wake up Shepard!
That's from that movie source code right? That movie was shit.
You're an idiot. That movie was great.

No U.

The whole movie depends on the premise that memories are time travel, which blows the lid off any logic this movie might've ever had.

"Hur dur, if I just enter my memory in my dream, I can find out where the bomb was in real life! There's no such thing as imagination, derp!"

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm not saying ME will be best game evah. Just that the shooter genre is very unlikely, because the team is led by someone who was part of the "resurrection" of Ultima and Kingdoms of Amalur and who claimed on several occasions that he loves RPGs. So this kind of person was promoted in company making RPGs to... make a shooter? Yep, that's bullshit. There's like a bazillion people more suitable for a pure shooter game.

I don't know man, I have seen the tortured "we want to make RPGs but no one buys them so we have to make action games" Bioware developer rant on their forums. I wouldn't put it past them to hire an RPG guy and then tell him to make a shooter. Arguably they did that already with the last two ME games.

Still, as tuluse accurately points out, as long as they make a good game I'll be happy. I like shooters too.

Delterius

Arcane
Imagine if an actual CRPG outsold BioWare's main ships of line.

I'd live in that bizarre world only to see their 'going back to the roots' and 'pushing back the envelope past noon into a loop and back from the future' press release.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Uh-huh.
"We are going back to the roots - our next project will be a isometric dating simulator! With lots of text and character dolls you can dress!"

Servo

Arcane
Still, as tuluse accurately points out, as long as they make a good game I'll be happy. I like shooters too.

Why? Is there anything that has not been done in the realm of shooting things? The genre went stale a long time ago. As far as I'm concerned there's not a single element that other genres would benefit from aping - that single element being shooting things, because there's nothing else to ape.

Servo

Arcane
Or they should just stop making shooters. But then most people would have to find another hobby that doesn't require brains.

Delterius

Arcane
I make a joke about CoD game design and what I get is rather depressing. Maybe action games should be action games and people should play whatever the fuck they like? I'm sorry but playing Arrpeegees doesn't make anyone a grand conqueror of human brain power and as far as anyone here is concerned, the other half of the forum (the one they aren't a part of) has terrible taste.

Servo

Arcane
I'm sorry but playing Arrpeegees doesn't make anyone a grand conqueror of human brain power

It certainly makes you a lot smarter than your average BioShock/Borderlands/CoD/Halo fanboi. Is there anything substantial that differentiates these games from one another?

and as far as anyone here is concerned, the other half of the forum (the one they aren't a part of) has terrible taste.

My tastes change on a daily basis so as far as I'm concerned everybody has terrible taste, depending on the day. But shooters are just shit no matter what the day.

Servo

Arcane
I suppose I still have some fond memories, but it is mostly the same game with new skin over and over and over... and then they invented the chest high wall.

Crysis was cool but it is the only exception in recent memory. I am mostly just bitter/jaded and feeling a lil edgy today.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I suppose I still have some fond memories, but it is mostly the same game with new skin over and over and over... and then they invented the chest high wall.

Crysis was cool but it is the only exception in recent memory. I am mostly just bitter/jaded and feeling a lil edgy today.
STALKER motherfucker

DraQ

Arcane
I said it before and I'll say it again:

cRPGs aren't a genre of their own.
The only thing they have in common is additional layer of mechanics that's stuck onto a game belonging to another genre.
Stick it on an FPS and you get Deus Ex, TES or VTMB.
Stick it on an RTS with its base/unit production layer stripped and you have BG and so on.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
This is a fine way of thinking, but... I'm sorry, it is highly humorous. After 100 years of threads about What RPGs Are one of us finally realized that it was all a Lie. The Experiment is over. We can all leave the Vault for Doom is upon us. Repent unbelievers! Repent!

Servo

Arcane
iBPNrMbLfxFNN.gif

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, we're all in agreement that the game will be awful?
But how awful will it be is what we appear to be arguing about.
Degrees of awful:
Level 1 +M
Level 2 :ehue:
Level 3 :negative:
Level 4 :pete:
Level 5 :gumpyhead:

And finally
Level 6 :hearnoevil:

1 is least retarded, 6 is a walking genocidal abortion that makes you want to thin slice your own prick.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Degrees of awful:
Level 1 +M

And finally

1 is least retarded, 6 is a walking genocidal abortion that makes you want to thin slice your own prick.

Level 7
lIKRvoz.jpg

Last edited:

Servo

Arcane
I thought we agreed it would be a p decent shooter with lite RPG mechanics.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Degrees of awful:
Level 1 +M

And finally

Level 7
lIKRvoz.jpg
SpinalTap_Eleven_avatar.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom