Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
:lol:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
"a" RPG or "an" RPG? :M

All my college English teachers told me it goes by sound, not letters, so since RPG is pronounced "aaaar-peeee-geeee" it should be "an RPG," I believe. That's why it's sometimes "an historic" because the 'h' sound is dropped by some accents.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Every time someone in real life tells me they love RPGs and uses Legend of Zelda as the cornerstone of their experiences (or even sole experience), it makes me feel like I have brain cancer. Though I suppose they're as RPG-ish as pretty much anything Bioware puts out these days.

EDIT: Added spoiler tag for the poster.

Hepler's Vagina

Learned
Unicorn armor DLC inbound:

daideluxe2bonuslg.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
Hmm... Could you give an example of a RPG without this particular element, namely stats?
No, just like I can't give you an example of an air conditioned car without air conditioning.

Seriously, are you retarded, or just functionally illiterate?
Sorry, looks like you're too deep for me just like Prosper.
Do I need to explain more slowly? Use simpler words?

I said the cRPGs lack genre identity as they are defined by single, relatively thin layer of mechanics that can be onto wildly different kinds of gameplay that are already recognizable as established genres or could plausibly be ones.

Then you ask me if you could have an RPG without the very thing it's defined by.

Again - are you retarded?

Satyr girl is cute, I'd mount her.

wait, no, there are no female satyrs! DUUUUUUUUUUUUUMB WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRREEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

-

Calling a game like Deus Ex a FPS with additional layer of mechanics defies logic. Aside from using the same perspective, gameplay wise it has nothing to do with a First Person Shooter.

4Jheht.jpg

Last edited:

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
You argued that any game can be an rpg if you slap some additional layer of mechanics onto it, but the term itself does not describe any concrete mechanics that are mandatory for an rpg to be an rpg.

I suggested that stats are one of such mechanics, so in fact the term does refer to something specific. Of course stats alone don't constitute an rpg and not any game with stats is automatically a role playing game (like some shitty soccer or COD multiplayer). There are other things specific to rpgs, such as the aforementioned focus on the player character(s) progression, which would be impossible without stats representing various aspects of said character(s), no matter in what form (numerical or not). In other words: stats are not like an air conditioner that you can remove and have, less comfortable but still, a car.

RPGs are a genre of their own and as in case of any other genre an rpg is just a sum of respective elements that can be shared by other genres as well. RPGs simply don't have one specific form of gameplay, but then again, what genre does, or is explored enough for such conclusion to be valid?

Yeah, try beating Deus Ex the shooter way, by killing everything on sight. It's fucking Doom with additional layer of mechanics, R00fles! You either gonna get killed or run out of ammo in minutes.

Grimrock_Skeletons1.jpg

Oh look, it's Wolfenstein!

tldr; Crawl back under your rock or climb one in your shitty Skyrim you silly green lizard; that game is indeed a shooter with some additional layer of mechanics slapped onto it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
:hmmm:

I think you'd have to be pretty delusional to deny that Deus Ex is a first person shooter. I mean, it's literally a game with a first person viewpoint where a significant portion of the gameplay revolves around shooting people.

One could convincingly argue that it's an RPG as well, with its emphasis on player choice, skill system, inventory, etc, but denying its FPS roots is about as silly as denying Warcraft 3 is an RTS because it has hero units that level up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom