Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Nobody sane will hire that fat faggot. If he left Bioware he would probably fail one or two kickstarters then fade into obscurity working for some mobile game company

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BioWare + EA don't like celebrities. They are acting their best to keep the "BioWare are known for great writing" bullshit, not mentioning individuals. That way the can fire anyone, or have a game made by interims, and it's still "BY BIOWARE, THUS GOOD" in the minds of drones and journos....

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
I actually wish they drop all RPG elements and go full fledged third person shooter, with slight customization and dialog choices & consequences. There is no shame in doing that, as long as they do not have the audacity to call the game what it is not.
25tjRGhVmiI_zpse94803b3.jpg

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If Gaider got fired there would be 10+ pages of discussion about it in this thread, the DA3 thread, and probably two other threads here in GRPGD and general gaming within hours. He's one of the codex's high profile nemeses.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I actually wish they drop all RPG elements and go full fledged third person shooter, with slight customization and dialog choices & consequences. There is no shame in doing that, as long as they do not have the audacity to call the game what it is not.

They didn't do that already?

donkeymong

Scholar
I have no hope for this at all (and I loved ME2). It will all be the fucking shitty ME3 levels designed around multi-player maps (LOL survive the wave of enemies for X number of minutes). And none of the Writing team from the first 3 games are even working on this project. It is one of the very very few "Action Game" series I enjoyed. Also, why in the fuck is this in cRPG discussions?
Lead writer of the series is working on this project.

Also, am I the only one who thinks ME3's level and encounter design was a significant improvement?!

Of course not. The horrible Mass 2 Maps with artificial cover plopping up( the prison
as the worst example) were the worst in the series. Completely destroyed every immersion left( already hurted by small corridors called "Hubs" and "Press b to end the mission") and you could now just from the look where a combat was going to start.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

UglyBastard

Arcane
Wow, this is actually not that bad!

I strongly suggest you start reading books or something, so that you actually have the qualifications to assess David's writing talent or your perceived lack thereof.

Best comment so far. Going deeper now...

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
His current position in Bioware is a waste of a talent. People should hope he gets fired and picked up by some other RPG company but only to work as a designer and not a writer.

Alonebadman

Educated
Diplomatic trolling 6/10 for keeping on point but also raising legitimate point. Gaider is mediocre at best, bad at worst. His writing is heavy-handed and driven by agenda in the same way right wing conservatives froth for war novels and liberals cream their pants for the next foreign emo novel.

There's little nuance to his approach. Anders was a walking sign for "EQUALITY! GET IT?" through thinly veiled civil rights metaphors. Isabella was the fun being sexually loose liberated woman that would be a cum dumpster at da club. Fenris, brooding bitch who couldn't get over his shit. Aveline, mmhmm fire crotch and muscles. Merill, ehhh. Brother/Sister, plot device but at least Carver had the little bitch of a brother who grows out of your shadow done okish.

Varric is still the only decent companion out of the whole game because 1) he ain't a trainwreck. 2)Keeps his shit locked under and 3) Drinks piss water ale. He loses points for no dworf beardo but wins points for being smooooothhhhhhhhhhhh. Still, that's a consolation prize for an ensemble cast.

Gaider himself said he starts with sarcastic for the traits. Sten was the only DAO companion who while not actually funny manage to be humorous with his dead pan humor.

Shadenuat

Arcane
People hate Gaider more for what he is or what he become when he started to write books and acted on forums than how he writes. For CRPG? He's not to shabby of a writer. Think about it - he first started working on BG2, a game that is better in most respects than BG1. He did the better characters in KOTOR, like Jolee (and remember the stress team had to go through as during development a decision was made to make it fully voiced). He was lead writer for the best add-on to NWN1. And he did some of the more interesting quests and characters in DA:O. For example, Redcliffe, one of the few places in game with choices and C&C.

So, yeah, I don't like him as a person, and he seems to go full derp more and more (DA2 was the peak of derp), but for gaming industry, calling him mediocre or "worst" - that's a bit too far. Like, what are the alternatives? If he's worst, then who works for writers in Bethesda? A water cooler with "writer" slapped on it?

I think worst thing that can happen to writer is if he's writing is dull. Boring. And I don't think we're at that point yet. We're more at the not dull, but gross and distasteful.

Funny thing is if BI/EA fired Gaider, I wonder how long it takes for Obsidian to hire him. :P
Would be great therapy for Gaider. They could put a leash on him by making him write for games without any romances. And only straight white men/women. See how long he would last, maybe water him once a while allowing writing for a comic book or something, so he won't wither and die without his favorite stuff.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
His current position in Bioware is a waste of a talent. People should hope he gets fired and picked up by some other RPG company but only to work as a designer and not a writer.

Yup, Ascension mod for BG2 is the proof of that, one of the best mods I've ever tried for any game.

Delterius

Arcane

Yup, Ascension mod for BG2 is the proof of that, one of the best mods I've ever tried for any game.
He is one of the co creators of the A Pop Demand mod for Victoria II. This means Gaider has better taste in games than half these forums.

As I said earlier, I like to rip on Gaider's wig out of comedy. But he's the best BioWare employee there is, as far as I'm concerned.

Alonebadman

Educated
Gaider is a better designer than a writer. His merits come from designs, scenarios that's almost a decade past since kotor. His books from the excerpts seem just ehh. Gaider works well as a game designer. His writings as you said iatr hit or miss but it's the decline in subtlety that perplexes me. It's because they buy into their own hype and they just layer baby's first progressive agenda. Gaider went off his meds
And just started with characters being all crazy. He likes to smoke cocks? Whatever man, I don't give a shit about your personal character. I care about the quality of the characters. Even the new dude, Dorian, is a joke in the making. Arcade Gannon is still one of the best vidya gays because his arc isn't just about being gay, shit it's in relation to the remnants arc and that's what gaider lacks now. Finesse and subtlety, the guy can still write ok scenarios.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
People hate Gaider more for what he is or what he become when he started to write books and acted on forums than how he writes. For CRPG? He's not to shabby of a writer. Think about it - he first started working on BG2, a game that is better in most respects than BG1. He did the better characters in KOTOR, like Jolee (and remember the stress team had to go through as during development a decision was made to make it fully voiced). He was lead writer for the best add-on to NWN1. And he did some of the more interesting quests and characters in DA:O. For example, Redcliffe, one of the few places in game with choices and C&C.

So, yeah, I don't like him as a person, and he seems to go full derp more and more (DA2 was the peak of derp), but for gaming industry, calling him mediocre or "worst" - that's a bit too far. Like, what are the alternatives? If he's worst, then who works for writers in Bethesda? A water cooler with "writer" slapped on it?

I think worst thing that can happen to writer is if he's writing is dull. Boring. And I don't think we're at that point yet. We're more at the not dull, but gross and distasteful.

Brofist for having some sense of relativity, but I think at the end of the day being a decent writer who wanders down the path of being up his own ass might be worse in many ways than being a shitty writer. Fallout 3 is poorly, terribly written shite, but it's simplistic, it's not exactly actively offensive, just dumb. In contrast Gaider uses his relative writing talent to actively annoy people with stupid decisions, bad priorities and less choice in favor or stronger cinematic style, then brags about it on their official forum. That's what makes people roll their eyes and remember his name.

He takes his writing and shoves it up your ass (har). Bethesda's writers just clock in and clock out.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Fallout 3 is poorly, terribly written shite, but it's simplistic, it's not exactly actively offensive, just dumb.

True that. The target demographic for FO3 don't give a shit about dialogue or plot, like I didn't read much of the horribly written dialogues of STALKER.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom