Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

newtmonkey

Arcane
Don't you have the Fly spell?

lol I do! I didn't bother checking the spell list in the manual since I remembered all the important spells, and for some reason I was thinking it was a level 4 spell.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
I was thinking about starting up mm8. Are dragons the only 'class' to stay away from if I don't want to break the game?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Might & Magic 1
How does the hermit work in M&M1? When I agree to trade wares, it replaces every single item in the backpack of every single character with garbage. How do you get around that since you'll be carrying around quest items, keys, etc. throughout the game?
I thought he only replaced the items for the character in the first slot? It's not all garbage, he does give you items you will need. Best way to deal with him (whether he does trade only one char or all of them) is to make dummy PCs in the inn to hold your stuff then go find him with nothing valuable in your inventory.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Sceptic
For some reason he did it to all my characters, not just the first slot (I looked it up after and apparently it's just supposed to be the character in the first slot? so maybe it's a bug). I eventually created a dummy character at the inn to hold my stuff so I could get the pirate maps.

Incendax

Augur
I was thinking about starting up mm8. Are dragons the only 'class' to stay away from if I don't want to break the game?
Dragons and Dark Elves completely trivialize the early and mid game. Dragons more than Dark Elves of course. Late game everyone gets OP, even the lowly Minotaur.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Didn't the publishers force an M&M game every year? The length shouldn't be surprising.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Grid Cartographer

I've been fascinated by the Mac version of M&M for quite some time now.

Mouse support. More graphical fidelity. Would have made my playthrough of M&M less of a hassle, honestly. I even tried to get Basilisk II working at one point just to try this version. It didn't really work, unfortunately. It's a shame there's not like a conversion so that you can play it on Windows, because M&M looks really good here, in my opinion.

I love djoldgames. I recently found this site as i needed mac Xyphus, shadowgate, gemstone warrior, and ultima II.I do love mouse support in games and its a pity rereleases of some games weren't tweaked to use it.
Macintosh Game Repository

Btw, did anyone like NES MMI? Maybe someone did in all these pages.

Thinking on the earlier posts on mapping games with no automap there is grid cartographer and like programs.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I nearly forgot about the turbogfx and super famicon versions.

Why is it some Japanese games have pictures or partial inventories in english and the rest in japanese. Just make bilingual games already.

No Great Name

Arcane
Might & Magic 1
How does the hermit work in M&M1? When I agree to trade wares, it replaces every single item in the backpack of every single character with garbage. How do you get around that since you'll be carrying around quest items, keys, etc. throughout the game?
I thought he only replaced the items for the character in the first slot? It's not all garbage, he does give you items you will need. Best way to deal with him (whether he does trade only one char or all of them) is to make dummy PCs in the inn to hold your stuff then go find him with nothing valuable in your inventory.
I played the DOS version from GOG of MM1 and I remember the hermit replacing everyone's inventory with junk items except for those two quest items you need.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I forgot about that dude. Great, a reminder of the hobos/beggars/homeless in the street with carts of crap/junk like a damn wahon train.

Sacibengala

Prophet

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom