Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
wow,i just realized everytime you start a new game in MM8 you have to play with the same fucking party again.
This killed the game for me ! definitely the weakest Might and Magic game after 9.

Yeah that does suck balls.

Otherwise it's a blast of a game tho. I replayed 6-8 about 3 years ago back to back and realized all three are equally great. I don't have a favourite.

(although the light vs. dark switch mid-game in 7 takes the cake for the most interesting RPG mechanics in the series, I SOOO wish more games did that)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
wow,i just realized everytime you start a new game in MM8 you have to play with the same fucking party again.

There are mods who allow you to create full party...

Anyway, the biggest problem of M&M VIII IMO is that is too easy. I mean, previous M&M games gives powerful spells to the player but monsters also use it. Even the weakest devil is a master of fire magic and can make rain meteors. M&M VIII looks like doesn't have enemies with insta death, insta erradicate, etc effects.

There are mods who allow you to create full party...

Anyway, the biggest problem of M&M VIII IMO is that is too easy. I mean, previous M&M games gives powerful spells to the player but monsters also use it. Even the weakest devil is a master of fire magic and can make rain meteors. M&M VIII looks like doesn't have enemies with insta death, insta erradicate, etc effects.

IMO enemies that insta kill you is poor gameplay design,the player should at least be given a opportunity to play around the enemy actions.One of the main reasons for why i rage quit Vagrant Story is those enemies who insta kill you from full hp leaving no room to play around.Now,i don't recall any monster that instagib you in MM6.

As for MM8,i think the game is fine early game if you don't abuse dark magic or dragons,but mid-late game become too easy.

Late game monsters in MM8 do literally no damage to you once you cast buffs on your party.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IMO enemies that insta kill you is poor gameplay design,the player should at least be given a opportunity to play around the enemy actions.One of the main reasons for why i rage quit Vagrant Story is those enemies who insta kill you from full hp leaving no room to play around.Now,i don't recall any monster that instagib you in MM6.

As for MM8,i think the game is fine early game if you don't abuse dark magic or dragons,but mid-late game become too easy.

Late game monsters in MM8 do literally no damage to you once you cast buffs on your party.

If you can cast Finger of Death on M&M VI, is nothing more fair than enemies also be able to cast it VS you...

If you can cast Finger of Death on M&M VI, is nothing more fair than enemies also be able to cast it VS you...

Finger of death is fine because it's a single target spell,if one of your party members die you can still play around it.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, but one good thing about 8. No more OP Blasters. Blasters on 6/7 are so ludicrous powerful that only high level dark magic can outDPS it...

T. Reich

Arcane
There are a few monsters in MM6 with instant death mechanics, mostly in endgame.
That wasn't the worst anyway. Dispel, curse and mana drain were SO much worse in terms of crippling effects on the party.

That's symptomatic of the entire MM series, MM8 being the "worst offender", being piss easy pretty much from the get-go.

Yes, but one good thing about 8. No more OP Blasters. Blasters on 6/7 are so ludicrous powerful that only high level dark magic can outDPS it...
You get blasters in the very endgame, they are pretty much a non-factor in the playthrough.
Also, DM may be the dps powerhouse, but it was always rather un-economical in nature, and vanilla elemental magic, min-maxed bows and light side buffed melee could easily give it a run for the money.
Anyway, MM series being relatively easy, party compo and total DPS output have never been much of a focus, you'd pull through anyway.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Dispel, curse and mana drain were SO much worse in terms of crippling effects on the party.

That killed my Chaos Conspiracy playthrough earlier this year, quite difficult, which is a good thing but at some point, you reach dungeons full of power lichs and i mean FULL, like a cave with 40 power lichs or so waiting to ambush you when you enter and of course, they respawn if you exit and come back, so curse, mana drain and dispel are on the menu, it's ridiculous, almost cleared it but had to retreat, when i came back, they all had raised from the dead ...

Probably got there too early, still, that's exactly what M&M is about, going anywhere you like and try to tackle high level monsters when you feel like going out of the beaten path.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
To this day I haven't seen a non grid based game implement the maps as nicely as Might and Magic/Wizardry. The 3D wireframe just looks so beautiful and is surprisingly useful.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Why? Besides the shit setting, but that's hardly the dev's fault.
:hmmm:
The unconscious no XP shit,the linear type of the game,the tight balance that let you feel the lack of evolutions and made every single combat the same,the lack of side content and freedom,the stupid map design where you made corridors and looked really confusing and awkward. MM6 was good evolution to the MM franchise,there was no need to go back to the restrictive grid movement.....maybe it was cheaper. In the end the games anything but a MM game,it lacked anything that made MM good. It felt more like an old blobber like lands of lore than a MM game. Oh also the poor optimisation.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that it has the best combat in the franchise. It wasn't linear, it had plenty of optional dungeons and shit to do, the corridors and grid movement were a throwback to the old M&Ms. I don't know what "uncontious no XP" means, that's not a word that exists in English. "The tight balance that let you feel of evolutions" also doesn't make sense, lol.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
M&M X is another game ruined by the "ballance cult", who believes that in SP game cool stuff should't exist.

Immersion, Variety, replayability, etc >>>> balance. Note that people mention OP spells on M&M VI as if it was a PC only thing... On M&M VI, everything that a PC can cast, a NPC can cast. Demons are all masters or grand masters of fire magic and immune to fire. The unique M&M game who the difficulty is a problem is M&M VIII not due OP spells but due the lack of enemy casting those spells.

Lacrymas

Arcane
"It was too balanced" is not a criticism, balance allows for a variety of playstyles to be viable and creates an even playing field for challenging content. Even then, M&MX wasn't balanced, lol, there were clearly superior and inferior classes and spells, the Grandmaster Fire spell that allowed dwarf mages to cast that sigil on the ground was hilariously broken, the Defender class was essentially useless, spears with + extra attack were the best weapons in the game bar none, Winddancers or whatever they were were probably the strongest melee in the game, etc.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
I would be extremely surprised if a blobber Kickstarter could get you enough money for anything more then a very small project nowadays(As in two or three people in a garage small), especially without a nostalgia bait name attached to it.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, lets ignore balance.

• Grid movement was used due HW limitations. There are no reason to a sequel to 4(6/7/8/9) games to have grid movement. Is too restrictive.
  • Enemies have way too much HP for a blobber
  • All cool offensive, utility and defensive spells got removed
  • The animations are too slow
  • Too much gimmicky battles
  • Much less spells
  • Linear as a JRPG
  • Monsters fells too much similar and damage types too.
  • Dumbed down character progression
  • No perma effects eg, divine intervention ages your character

Lacrymas

Arcane
1. How is grid movement restrictive? And how does that hinder anything?
2. I didn't feel this, you probably had shit builds for your characters.
3. Like what? Flight and levitate? Whoop-di-doo.
4. Maybe.
5. What gimmicky battles? And how is this bad? The only gimmicky battle I remember was the end fight in the temple of shadows.
6. Literally doesn't matter, quality > quantity.
7. Like I said, it wasn't linear, you had a bunch of optional dungeons and shit to do, the map was open and you could go wherever you wanted if you had the proper blessings.
8. I don't think so, they had plenty of variety and effects, and not less than, say, M&M 3-5
9. In what way is it dumbed down?
10. Meh, how is it better with perma effects? This boils down to a design choice.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that it has the best combat in the franchise. It wasn't linear, it had plenty of optional dungeons and shit to do, the corridors and grid movement were a throwback to the old M&Ms. I don't know what "uncontious no XP" means, that's not a word that exists in English. "The tight balance that let you feel of evolutions" also doesn't make sense, lol.
Fuck off larcymas! You can't argue my points about the game and decide to attack my drunken spelling. You got what i was saying,don't be a little german bitch!

I've been Might and Magic 7 for last week and i'm bored to death with this game,everything about MM7 is inferior to MM6,i won't even call MM7 a good game.

too many crashes,repetitive soundtrack,terrible dungeon design,the fact that i couldn't find a expert in disarm traps until 12 hours later in the game,too easy overall until some difficulty spikes(medusas,walls of mist...),boring good vs evil story and choice path,bland visuals and overall lack of charm.

Still better than 8 but that doesn't means shit.

T. Reich

Arcane
the fact that i couldn't find a expert in disarm traps until 12 hours later in the game

After mm6 where expert precision solved virtually all of your trap "disarming" issues, I would understand why actually having invest into a skill would grind your gears.:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom