Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
MM7. Simple question, guys - Is Tomb of the Master (part of Ninja promotion quest) available for Light path?

EDIT: Thanks!

*mm7*
*uses melee class in darkside game*

fxa2n4z.jpg

Sharpmetal is a melee spell!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sharpmetal is useless,you run out of it after a few kills lol. You don't run out of a champion/death knight with two artifact melee weapons! It is really a shame that dark magic is practically useless. With light one you get all the cool buffs and then just steamroll anything in your path.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing World of Xeen for about 25 hours now and it's fucking great. I've done a lot of the Clouds content, but I've only done a bit of Darkside. Is that normal? My level 17 party get their heads caved in by an armadillo whenever I try going back there.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sharpmetal is useless,you run out of it after a few kills lol. You don't run out of a champion/death knight with two artifact melee weapons! It is really a shame that dark magic is practically useless. With light one you get all the cool buffs and then just steamroll anything in your path.

7 is the most exploitable game in the series, there's a well in eeofol (I think) that gives free skill points, money, xp, etc. It also dishes out eradicates and kills, but with gm magic resistance you can block the negative effects.

a high end party of dark priests/liches can spit out dozens of dragon breaths and mow down just about anything like it was grass.

There's 0 reason to take melee chars with dark, not just because dark magic is so much better than melee but also because all the mass buffs are on the light side.

dark side - clerics and mages
light side - i usually take 2 heavy hitters (i prefer monks and knights but thieves are good too) + 1 cleric + 1 mage for the light spells and utility (also they hit pretty hard with all the buffs).

EruDaan

Arcane
I've been playing World of Xeen for about 25 hours now and it's fucking great. I've done a lot of the Clouds content, but I've only done a bit of Darkside. Is that normal? My level 17 party get their heads caved in by an armadillo whenever I try going back there.

Armourdillos have an obcene high armour class. You need some kind of spell to put them to sleep. That reduces their armour class to something around 0. Try the spell "Beast Master" or something. "Sleep" or "Hypnothize" should work too.

Sinatar

Arbiter

Clouds is Might and Magic 4, Darkside is 5 and is balanced around a party that has finished Clouds.

jackofshadows

Magister
Nah, light magic is the useless one. It allows only paralizing titans in order to avoid destroying all of your equipment including precious artefact weps and smashing liches with the according spell. Slicing mobs around under the buffs is fun till moment you enter the Pit and getting a stack of dragon fire spells straight into the face.

With dedicated dark magic party, on the other hand, while it might be annoying to replenish mana at early stages, after getting lloyd's beacon game becomes a total (still fun tho) cakewalk. The hardest part is to do promotion quest for mages early, however.

JDR13

Arcane
There's 0 reason to take melee chars with dark, not just because dark magic is so much better than melee but also because all the mass buffs are on the light side.

Isn't melee generally inferior in M&M 6 and 7 anyways? That seems to be a popular sentiment.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

7 is the most exploitable game in the series, there's a well in eeofol (I think) that gives free skill points, money, xp, etc. It also dishes out eradicates and kills, but with gm magic resistance you can block the negative effects.

a high end party of dark priests/liches can spit out dozens of dragon breaths and mow down just about anything like it was grass.

dark side - clerics and mages
light side - i usually take 2 heavy hitters (i prefer monks and knights but thieves are good too) + 1 cleric + 1 mage for the light spells and utility (also they hit pretty hard with all the buffs).
Oh i agree,i was talking that melee in general has its uses,even for a dark party in the early-mid game.

How find jon van caneghem in MM8?
You have to get the flute from the tomb in revenshore and then click on the big sword(near the hilt) in the final map,Plane between Planes.

Nah, light magic is the useless one. It allows only paralizing titans in order to avoid destroying all of your equipment including precious artefact weps and smashing liches with the according spell. Slicing mobs around under the buffs is fun till moment you enter the Pit and getting a stack of dragon fire spells straight into the face.

With dedicated dark magic party, on the other hand, while it might be annoying to replenish mana at early stages, after getting lloyd's beacon game becomes a total (still fun tho) cakewalk. The hardest part is to do promotion quest for mages early, however.
:prosper:
Git gut biatch! I kill a fucking behemoth in a few seconds with a party of knight,paladin,archer and wizard. Also why paralyse titans when i could run to then and see them die???? All you have to do is get all the buffs and watch the enemy melt in front of you lol. GM light at 10 skills is op,let alone if you pump it up to 20 or more.

JDR13

Arcane

Isn't melee generally inferior in M&M 6 and 7 anyways? That seems to be a popular sentiment.

Well, DUH! But melee doesn't consume mana.

I wasn't talking about spells. I meant melee vs ranged weapons in general.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I didn't get dark magic, but my recent experience was that in first half of the game magic is superior, but by the time I got to the endgame, all of my characters (even wizards) did more damage in melee than with magic.

jackofshadows

Magister
Git gut biatch! I kill a fucking behemoth in a few seconds with a party of knight,paladin,archer and wizard. Also why paralyse titans when i could run to then and see them die???? All you have to do is get all the buffs and watch the enemy melt in front of you lol. GM light at 10 skills is op,let alone if you pump it up to 20 or more.
I'm aware that mm7 isn't even close to be some min/max hardcore game but that's a weird party to run if you want to whack things in melee because you may replace that useless hybrid classes with more knights since they are dealing at least two times more damage than any other weapon users. Yet still, dark magic users will deal even more damage since midgame, in fact, WAY more. Sure, I agree that melee much more useful in the early game, it actually might be somewhat painful to raise mages only party but that's definitely worth it.
I'd say melee deals considerably more damage at all stages but ranged party don't have to deal much with incoming damage obviously, which allows replacement cleric/pal with another archer or druid, for instance. Also, preferable mode matters a lot. For squishy ranged dudes it's RT most of the time, which turns game into some Action/RPG, while for melee either mode is fine.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm aware that mm7 isn't even close to be some min/max hardcore game but that's a weird party to run if you want to whack things in melee because you may replace that useless hybrid classes with more knights since they are dealing at least two times more damage than any other weapon users. Yet still, dark magic users will deal even more damage since midgame, in fact, WAY more. Sure, I agree that melee much more useful in the early game, it actually might be somewhat painful to raise mages only party but that's definitely worth it.
I'd say melee deals considerably more damage at all stages but ranged party don't have to deal much with incoming damage obviously, which allows replacement cleric/pal with another archer or druid, for instance. Also, preferable mode matters a lot. For squishy ranged dudes it's RT most of the time, which turns game into some Action/RPG, while for melee either mode is fine.
Actually it is pretty strong party throughout the whole game. It may not be the mixmaixing optimal that authists here enjoy to play as their 50th rerun,but i do manage to finish the game without resting and such. Early game the bow skills is top,after that it slowly goes toward melee. I noticed that offensive magic is mainly for inexperienced players for their first play. In my last replay i barely used it outside of a few times where i used sparks. In my end game my wiz does around 100 damage in melee,the archer around 150 because of double wielding,the paladin around 100-150 with stun and the knight around 200-250. This kills the sword dudes in one or two rounds,a green dragon falls in two rounds and the blue and red in 5-6 rounds. With GM white that is like 3-5 seconds per enemy because of the haste lol.

jackofshadows

Magister
Actually it is pretty strong party throughout the whole game.
It is very well balanced party, for sure.
I noticed that offensive magic is mainly for inexperienced players for their first play.
I'd say the opposite. When you're aware of general monster resistances a dedicated (1-2 schools+meditation) mage can deliver more damage than any other class since quite early stages of the game. It's just much more convenient not to bother about mana at all (and not to rush wizard promotion quest, as I alrdy mentioned). But later it pays off spectaculary, you should try some day 4 shrapmetal users party, they're just melting anything (and also it's very fun to spam armageddon just to watch everyone dies, at the land of giants included).

Curratum

You dorks need to stop bumping this thread. I played MnM 8 and I promised myself it would be the only one I play as it was the shortest and easiest, but after reading this thing, I reinstalled MnM 6 on Steam today and rolled a party... :(

Curratum

You dorks need to stop bumping this thread. I played MnM 8 and I promised myself it would be the only one I play as it was the shortest and easiest, but after reading this thing, I reinstalled MnM 6 on Steam today and rolled a party... :(
mm6 and mmx are the only ones that matter

I only have 6 on Steam because I bought 10, and it was an exclusive preorder bonus. Sadly, I hated 10. :(

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Actually it is pretty strong party throughout the whole game.
It is very well balanced party, for sure.
I noticed that offensive magic is mainly for inexperienced players for their first play.
I'd say the opposite. When you're aware of general monster resistances a dedicated (1-2 schools+meditation) mage can deliver more damage than any other class since quite early stages of the game. It's just much more convenient not to bother about mana at all (and not to rush wizard promotion quest, as I alrdy mentioned). But later it pays off spectaculary, you should try some day 4 shrapmetal users party, they're just melting anything (and also it's very fun to spam armageddon just to watch everyone dies, at the land of giants included).
As i said,it is an autistic minmax build.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
mm6 and mmx are the only ones that matter

I only have 6 on Steam because I bought 10, and it was an exclusive preorder bonus. Sadly, I hated 10. :(
MMX is liquid shit that doesn't have anything to do with the older ones. It lacks exploration or an interesting universe,it is meh in every aspect. The worst part is how tight the balance is and it never lets you feel like you have become stronger.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Do I get this correct - only clerics can obtain mastery in Spirit magic in MM6, since only clerics can ascend to high priests? Becoming 'honorary' high priest for a paladin will not work, right?

Curratum

So help me out here, I rolled a party and I think I got a knight, an archer, a cleric / priest and a sorcerer. I don't remember all starting skills I gave them but I just wanted to know if this is a viable combo to finish the game with, or it requires some ungodly minmaxing to work?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom