Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters
what about might and magic 2 on SNES ? looks good, has an automap and full party creation.

i know, keyboard controls are faster and smoother once you get used to it, and console controls are easier to get into but slower. Different strokes for different folks. But i really like the atmosphere from SNES version

Last edited:

kmonster

Augur
Besides being censored the SNES omits the tactical positions (Everyone can melee or shoot now) and a spell is overpowered since no monster has a chance to resist it there.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I feel like you have to be in a really specific kind of mindset in order to want to play the console versions of the first three MM games but not their PC counterparts. Like, I couldn't get into the first two on PC, but trying them on consoles its like I'm playing crappy Phantasy Star. Like it doesn't actually change anything in a useful way, it just makes it differently crap.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The SNES graphics and music are nicer and I always have a soft spot for it as the nintendo port of MM2 was my first encounter with crpgs.

But apart from that, there's no reason whatsoever to prefer this over the DOS version with Where Are We. There's missing stuff like no lighting, no party positioning, dumbed down combat and more, the controls are really atrocious. Just healing up your party with low-level spells easily takes a minute or two.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
For me it's 3-5. First two were too primitive to really enjoy, 6+ went into 3D race with FPS (the race which RPGs lost in the end). The 3-5 were just right mix, after the era of clumsy interfaces and before the 3D race era. I would even say those are playable even today (if you overlook some annoyances).

Luzur

Good Sir
For me it's 3-5. First two were too primitive to really enjoy, 6+ went into 3D race with FPS (the race which RPGs lost in the end). The 3-5 were just right mix, after the era of clumsy interfaces and before the 3D race era. I would even say those are playable even today (if you overlook some annoyances).

They are very playable, and i cant really find any annoyances worth mentioning, maybe people who didnt grow up with the games might find stuff to complain about.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

They are very playable, and i cant really find any annoyances worth mentioning, maybe people who didnt grow up with the games might find stuff to complain about.

I really enjoy the MM3-5 style. They are pretty cosy RPGs.

Fun exploration, not overly hard or taxing to play and full of charm. The only thing I never liked massively was the inventory UI, but that's a pretty minor complaint.

xuerebx

Erudite
They look fine to me, maybe the user interface is a bit cumbersome as there's lots of buttons always on-screen. It's only the "frame by frame movement " which I said I'll need to get used to (e.g. when you turn around, the frame changes rather than having a smooth transition).

I owned the SNES as a kid, a bit bummed I never got to play M&M at the time - didn't even know it was available on that platform! I spent my time playing Super Mario at the time, which was a great game anyway :D.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Solo sorcerer run done

EZtK4E4UYAAt5Xh

Score was shit because I ate a year in prison getting dark mastery, but I wasn't playing for score so whatevs.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It is interesting to look at Isles of Terra from a historic perspective; since Terra was my first Might and Magic it always held a special place for me so some of its changes might not be very apparent to new gamers but seeing the evolutionary leap from 2 to 3 was incredible

First off the presentation at the time was quite spectacular compared to other games of the same era, it was one of those games which really put in display PC games; the colorful graphics that have aged relatively well because of their cartoony design, the integrated UI where the different spell effect and special abilities where clear (like the little imp on the corner that waved it’s arm when facing secret doors for example) the way the character portraits of your party had actual personality and their status was reflected on them... it’s some things that me might take for granted nowadays but were groundbreaking back in that day

Second, the simple yet engrossing combat; yes I know Octavius you will say they dumbed down the tactical combat from the previous entries but I think it was quite a conscious decision on the part of NWC. I believe that the Might and Magic series started as a more approachable alternative to Wizardry, with better graphics and frankly bells and whistles, and that along they way they found their true identity rather than be a Dungeon Crawl Wizardry clone they became an adventure and exploration series where combat was geared more to be a fun obstacle to the puzzles and exploration.

I love the Wizardry game but they can be so ponderous sometimes where every combat is a little mini puzzle while combat in Might and Magic 3 became fast, fun and pretty to look at... the kind of game you played with your friends while eating potato crisps as a kid on a Friday night having some fun and anybody could pick it up and play

And lastly the gameplay itself, all the loot itself became such a great part of the game with Obsidian shield and Ruby katanas but the simply and easy way you navigated your items, equipping them one you identified them, and traded them. The ease in choosing spells, casting them and the switching from long range to melee making the game feel fast and fun. The huge range of enemies and magical creatures with different abilites which inflicted various status on your characters rather than the basic “bang you lose 15 hp” made you think more strategic combat and the use of the various Fountains and Shrines allowed you to “abuse” the system to try to brave higher leve areas to find a cache of higher powered treasure for your party. I still remember with a smile buffing my chars to brave the Cyclops Cave, rushing to get mapping (auto map was also quite rare in those days) and mountaineering so I could raid the Valley of the Gargoyles for hidden catches of treasure while the monsters couldn’t reach me

All in all it was a change of pace for NWC which would probe to be a success (although admittedly it was one of the lowest selling games in the series) which would lay the foundation for the more polished but ultimately less focused and more derrivative Xeen games

Last edited:

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I'd been playing this (M&M I) for almost 3 weeks and I can't believe how massive is for a game released in 1986, and I think I'm not even half through it. The quest design is really good, you get thrown into the world having little clues about the world that will develop by exploring the lands, there's literally always something to find in each map and eventually the findings will chain and come together, which is making me very hooked while progressing. There's so much to map though, sometimes it's just too much and I have to rest a bit, that's something coming from a man who likes doing it, graph paper sellers got rich the time this came out.

The combat is fine, but I prefer the old wizardry in that regard.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Playing MM6 right now, and for some reason everybody hates me. Not 10 minutes into the game and all I've done is kill monsters, and all the NPCs are treating me like a piece of shit?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I just installed the GreyFace patch and started a new game. I went directly to the nearest peasant and he said "I heard you've committed a lot of crimes, including killing people." I don't know what the fuck is going on with this game.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Are your characters black?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom