Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What the hell is happening? My posts are blank?
EDIT: was able to fix my message at last.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
octavius said:

That happened to me in my dicksmithing thread last night when I was spamming copy and pastes of "I smoke the dick of a bumfaced man". After twenty or so, the entire reply box... disappeared. Which was weird, because I wasn't using quick reply, I was on the reply page. The black reply box just vanished, leaving me to submit an empty post. New bug?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Admiral jimbob said:
octavius said:

That happened to me in my dicksmithing thread last night when I was spamming copy and pastes of "I smoke the dick of a bumfaced man". After twenty or so, the entire reply box... disappeared. Which was weird, because I wasn't using quick reply, I was on the reply page. The black reply box just vanished, leaving me to submit an empty post. New bug?

Yes, seems likes quoting caused the bug.
Funny thing is that if I try to edit or reply to the blank message all the text appears.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I remember playing MM2 on the sega mega drive (genesis?) when I was 12 or so, great game albeit complicated by my utter lack of knowledge of the english language...never did finish the bastard so I have fond memories and vote, of course.

I obtained M&MVI when I understood english better and I loved it, great scope and interesting rape if you dared to wander too much around...say when you obtain fly and decide it's a good idea to outrun dragons, for instance.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, it looks like the MM 1 manual was correct after all - alignment can shift when attacking good aligned creatures! My party just attacked some pegasi and the message "alignment shift!" flashed across the screen.
So I guess it is either a very small chance or else it takes a lot of battles for the alignment shift to occur. My guys now have aboit 115,000 XP.
Seems a bit silly that I can just change it back by the use of a spell, though.

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
How important is alignment though? So far I've seen only a few items that were restiricted by alignment and most of them seem to have counterparts with opposite alignment requirements. The prisoner quest and its conclusion seem to benefit a party of a single alignment more.

The manual says there are locations that cannot be entered by characters of some alignment, but is that actually true? And more importantly, does it make any difference?

Two other questions:

Are there any other encounters like the hermit with the maps? The Hermit says: "Trade wares? (Y/N)". Yeah, great trade right there.

Turn Undead is an awesome spell, cleaning large groups of undead for just a single spell point, but somehow it has stopped working. I get the "NO EFFECT!" message every time I use it, even if the undead in question are lowly skeletons or rotting corpses. Any ideas?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Calem Ravenna said:
How important is alignment though? So far I've seen only a few items that were restiricted by alignment and most of them seem to have counterparts with opposite alignment requirements. The prisoner quest and its conclusion seem to benefit a party of a single alignment more.

The manual says there are locations that cannot be entered by characters of some alignment, but is that actually true? And more importantly, does it make any difference?

Two other questions:

Are there any other encounters like the hermit with the maps? The Hermit says: "Trade wares? (Y/N)". Yeah, great trade right there.

Turn Undead is an awesome spell, cleaning large groups of undead for just a single spell point, but somehow it has stopped working. I get the "NO EFFECT!" message every time I use it, even if the undead in question are lowly skeletons or rotting corpses. Any ideas?

Alignment does not seem to be as important as in MM2, where alignment could decide if you could wield a Spear +79 or make due with a measly Sword +51, for example.
Also, in MM2 I don't think there was a spell to restore alignment.

I haven't found any alignment restricted areas yet.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Oh, and another thing: when I found Lord Kilburn he handed me a Map of the Desert and told me to explore it and report my findings to the other lords. Is this a real quest or just a red herring?

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
octavius said:
Oh, and another thing: when I found Lord Kilburn he handed me a Map of the Desert and told me to explore it and report my findings to the other lords. Is this a real quest or just a red herring?

Can't say for sure, but I didn't get any responses from the lords after getting the map and crossing the desert. There is at least one lord quest that involves a location reachable only with the map though. Also Ironfist's second quest (Find Kilburn) seems to be finishable only if you have the map in your inventory, apparently just finding Kilburn is not enough.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Calem Ravenna said:
Maybe only Cactus Nectar.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Calem Ravenna said:

I've noticed the same. I also noticed that started to happen after my Cleric went from Good to Evil; now I can't even turn zombies.
Maybe Turn Undead works best for Good characters?

m_s0

Arcane
Yeah, it's nice to finally see MM7 & 8 in their catalogue. As soon as I finish my Wizardry 8 playthrough I'll probalby get back to MM3-8. These games are worse than fucking cocaine

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
Fowyr said:
Calem Ravenna said:

The trading post exchanges the first backpack item for one Cactus Nectar.

This isn't what I meant, but the blame is on me - I didn't even bother to explain. It might be just a bug in my game, but what the Hermit does for me: Exchanges the first two backpack items for the two maps and fills the rest of backpack slots with (useless item), destroying everything (including quest items) in the process. Not a game breaker (and I'm past this anyway), but enraging.

octavius said:
Calem Ravenna said:

I've noticed the same. I also noticed that started to happen after my Cleric went from Good to Evil; now I can't even turn zombies.
Maybe Turn Undead works best for Good characters?

The only information on this I can find anywhere is in one of the FAQs. "Watch out if your alignment slips. Clerics won't be able to cast Turn Undead.". So it might be either an alignment change or being Evil.

Still, my cleric was Evil from the start and Turn Undead worked wondrously (failing from time to time of course, but it worked most of the time), but at some point it just stopped working altogether. No apparent reason really, I was just walking around killing monsters for experience. I even tried restoring alignment (even though the cleric was Evil all the time) and that did nothing.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
worse than 6 or 7, and broken with a dragon in party, but otherwise playable. if you liked the previous two, you'll enjoy this one.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Calem Ravenna said:
Fowyr said:
Calem Ravenna said:

The trading post exchanges the first backpack item for one Cactus Nectar.

This isn't what I meant, but the blame is on me - I didn't even bother to explain. It might be just a bug in my game, but what the Hermit does for me: Exchanges the first two backpack items for the two maps and fills the rest of backpack slots with (useless item), destroying everything (including quest items) in the process. Not a game breaker (and I'm past this anyway), but enraging.

Oh! I had this bug too. I circumvent it by travelling to hermit with only two characters.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaesun said:
What is the verdict of 8? I stopped playing after 7, never played it. Kept hearing it was shit.

I've only played it briefly but:

1. Art direction is vastly superior IMO.
2. No party creation, you just create the first character and pick up NPCs. I was severely displeased by this.
3. Races and classes are merged.eg: Knights are always human. Trolls are the new paladins (with regeneration), dark elves are the new archers (with merchant to boot). Most of the non-human races that replace the classes have one unique racial skill that makes the game more interesting, though a lot of codexfags found it jarring. Minotaur (ranger replacement) are the only exception, they have no special abilities and they're just as shit as their ranger predecessor.
4. No exploits to the magnitude of the eeofol wishing well. Only "exploits" are poor balance (dragons in general, grabbing a dragon and a level 50 dark elf without any real effort).

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I started replaying M&M VI and I'm going K A C S (slight variation of my previous playstyle P A C S) It's nice to have the knight free for merchant, disarm and to max out weapons early.

Anybody knows if you can get to the expert air trainer in New Sorpigal without the fly scroll (that I can't find anywhere) and if there is any difference between Cleric and Sorcerer as far as choosing Light/Dark schools?

It's a surprise seeing how this game is hooking me up despite the fact I'm having a very short lasting interest on almost all the games i have on my laptop.

I am interested in M&M 3, and Xeen but for some reason i can't get used to the interface.
Before the graphic whore alarm goes off I say i have no problems playing with M&M 2 interface or Wizardry 6 and 7...I ain't sure why but I heard they are massive and interesting.

Edit: Horrible, Horrible English.

Varn

Educated
RE the expert air trainer in New Sorpigal - from memory you can also cast "jump" to get up onto the second-story balcony. You can get a scroll of jump from i think either Myst or at least Free Haven, for sure, but it may take a few reloads.

I don't think there's any other way up there though.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
You can find scrol of Fly in the south (or west, can't remember) wall of the bank.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Calem Ravenna said:
The only information on this I can find anywhere is in one of the FAQs. "Watch out if your alignment slips. Clerics won't be able to cast Turn Undead.". So it might be either an alignment change or being Evil.

Still, my cleric was Evil from the start and Turn Undead worked wondrously (failing from time to time of course, but it worked most of the time), but at some point it just stopped working altogether. No apparent reason really, I was just walking around killing monsters for experience. I even tried restoring alignment (even though the cleric was Evil all the time) and that did nothing.

Hmm...my experience strongly indicates that Clerics changing alignment starts failing to cast Turn Undead.
My cleric was Good and the spell worked. Then her alignment shifted to Evil and it kept failing. Then I cast the Restore Alignment spell and TU kept working again. But now in my latest battle TU failed against Rotting Corpses and as I suspected, my cleric (and the rest of the party) had become Evil again.
Maybe it's different if you start as Evil?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom