Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

MMXI

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Faggotry is afoot!
Lucky you.

:smug:

Nah. MM9 actually has votes because it's the obvious troll option.

mr.doo

Educated
Luzur said:
mr.doo said:
Mastermind said:
mr.doo said:
Has anyone played M&M IX ? Is it any good ?
If not what's wrong with it ?

I briefly played it. Seemed ok. Most of the complaints revolve around the gameworld being empty, presumably because it was rushed out too early.

Nevertheless, installing now.

install the fanpatch if you do, it inclines the game much.

Thanks for the tip, I did install it.

Well the game is not too bad, contrary to my expectations. It's actually mildly enjoyable, but I'll need to get to the closing stages of the game to see how unfinished it is. So far so good.

visions

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Most enemies have a "hated" race that they will concentrate their attack on if it's in the party. You will feel the pain again when you get to the troglodytes.

Heh. I've always suspected it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MMXI said:
More specifically, how the *bleep* did MM9 get more votes than MM1 and MM8, and the same number as MM2?
Because nobody has played MM1 obviously :rpgcodex:

It's not the best by any shot, but I still love that first one. Getting outside Sorpigal and actually being able to survive the wilderness was a special feeling. It was like those first minutes after getting out of the Imperial Prison in Oblivion: the world's your playground and the sky's the limit. With Oblivion that lasted for about 10 minutes. With MM1 it lasted for weeks.
I just love it :love:

MMXI

Arcane
Sceptic said:
MMXI said:
More specifically, how the *bleep* did MM9 get more votes than MM1 and MM8, and the same number as MM2?
Because nobody has played MM1 obviously :rpgcodex:

It's not the best by any shot, but I still love that first one. Getting outside Sorpigal and actually being able to survive the wilderness was a special feeling. It was like those first minutes after getting out of the Imperial Prison in Oblivion: the world's your playground and the sky's the limit. With Oblivion that lasted for about 10 minutes. With MM1 it lasted for weeks.
I just love it :love:
I agree, though I do prefer MM2 to MM1. I just find the outdoor areas more fun to explore in it. They feel much more like outdoor zones than MM1's. Still, I did play the games in order so I do have fond memories of the first game. It's just that MM2 is bigger and better with more to do.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Indeed. It's why I prefer MM2 too. Still I liked MM1 very much, but only on the second attempt.
MM2 is the best M&M ever.
I know, Sceptic, Square Lake and Spears +56. ;)

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Jaesun said:
What is the verdict of 8? I stopped playing after 7, never played it. Kept hearing it was shit.
Well it´s better then dragon age and gothic 4 :M

Darth Roxor said:
Right, finally started the MM7 I installed like a year ago. Word has reached me that it's a little declining over MM6, but after I whacked a dragon for half an hour, running around it like a retard, I immediately knew it retains MM6's best quality - the ability to break the game in every possible way

Wyrmlord said:
You just started the game and fought a dragon? :)

And won, apparently. I hope Skyrim will make me feel half as awesome when I slay the dragon in the tutorial.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
MMXI said:
I agree, though I do prefer MM2 to MM1. I just find the outdoor areas more fun to explore in it. They feel much more like outdoor zones than MM1's.
Definitely agree with the latter, thanks to the wilderness skills. Some of MM1's outdoors were pretty much dungeons without a ceiling, though they were distinctive enough that I don't mind; but MM2 definitely moved this in a more interesting direction (the graphical improvement also helped). But MM2 loses some points there, as I find the overall arrangement of the wilderness less interesting, and the looping around was disappointing (not to mention it contradicts one of the plot elements and looks stupid if you do it from the elemental corners, thanks to hardware limitations).

And MM1's quests were MUCH more interesting. MM2's were pretty much limited to the plot ones, the pluses (some of which were great, others not so), and 3 misc quests (if you exclude all the random ones). MM1 had more variety, and the exploration ones were quite a bit of fun. And Og's quest is unmatched in the series.

Fowyr said:
I know, Sceptic, Square Lake and Spears +56. ;)
You know me too well ;)

Jaesun said:
What is the verdict of 8? I stopped playing after 7, never played it. Kept hearing it was shit.
Only just noticed this. Short version because I need to go to bed: not as good as 6-7, better than 9, unabalanced (too easy), but not a bad game. If you liked 6-7, chances are 8 is good for what it is. I personally like it. Dungeons are a little larger than 7 but not as much as 6, so kind of a sweet spot. Earth Plane is great stuff.

DaveO

Erudite
From my LP, I remember more problems on the Water Plane than anywhere else. The dungeon in Murmurwoods with all the Juggernauts can be bad if you're not prepared. While there is pretty much a tie for number of exploits in MM7 and MM8, I prefer MM8 more than MM7.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Playing MM1 right now. If you can get used to the mapping its quite a good game.

Lots to discover in each area, quests seem interesting and lots of different armor\weapons. Also, its pretty hard in the beginning but I didnt realize it had level scaling.

It only level scales the random encounters though and not the set ones. I think this works pretty well. I venture into a land of Wyverns and they decended from upon and wiped us out. No handle holding in this game you cant really do much exploring until you build up your characters a bit.

I think MMII is is my favorite but this game has a feel to it I really like.

Character generation is a bitch though, takes forever to role good values.

Luzur

Good Sir
i actually mapped MM1 for a guy who was making a remake of the game (Wyzardry, i think he died) quite some years ago.

good times making detailed maps with annotations and torch/door/stairs/statue placements.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Interesting Luzur, would love to see a remake of this game as long as the core gameplay and atmosphere was kept intact.

I can't decide how I feel about mapping. Yes it feels time consuming and tedious when your used to automap feature of today but it really does feel like real discovery when you make your own maps. It's more work, but feels more rewarding. And once you do it a little while its not that hard.

I also have clue book which has the map grids but without details filled in, if I get tired of mapping I might start using that.

There are so many nice details in this game. Almost every area has something interesting to do\find you can really tell this game was a labor of love.

Why is it all these guys like Garriot and Van Canaghem only make good games in the early part of their careers? They have all jumped on the MMO bandwagon now and have made crap since then. None of them seem to think Single Players RPG have any values anymore.

Is this because they want to do something different since they made a bunch of Single player rpgs already or what? I mean with the ideas they used to have and todays tech seems like they could make some great games. (Dont mean to open a can of worms here)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Saxon1974 said:
Character generation is a bitch though, takes forever to role good values.

Use the pregenerated characters. They have decent, but not über, stats, and make a well balanced party.
They also start with more money or equipment, so it makes the beginning less frustrating.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Saxon1974 said:
Why is it all these guys like Garriot and Van Canaghem only make good games in the early part of their careers? They have all jumped on the MMO bandwagon now and have made crap since then. None of them seem to think Single Players RPG have any values anymore.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's why.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Jaesun said:
Saxon1974 said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's why.

Yea I guess so but I dont see any innovation or creativity in MMO's at all. Back when these guys were making RPG's they were very creative and innovative and seem to love what they were doing. But yea your probably right if you have the option to make a decent amount of money and have fun or make a ton of money and not have fun most people would take the money.

Doesn't seem like Garriot needs money anymore though and I dont get the feeling he is motivated soley by money. But maybe I am just dumb

Luzur

Good Sir
Saxon1974 said:
Interesting Luzur, would love to see a remake of this game as long as the core gameplay and atmosphere was kept intact.

im sure his coding is on a HD somewhere, but if he really died like i was told (webpage and all is gone now) i see a 0% chance of retrieving it by now.

although i have the maps somewhere on a disk, in a zipfile.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Luzur, you should publish the mapfiles in one way or the other. Either at gamefags, your own page, or through one of the still-active M&M people (Andrew Schultz maybe?). Would be a shame for all the work to go to waste.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
From what I've seen so far, I seriously wish all sequels were like what VII is to VI. Pretty much simply more of the same but with minor tweaks.

The improved character customisation is neat, the lack of FUCKHUEG mobs (other than around obelisks) is also nice. Some C&C thrown in for good measure, expanded alchemy, what's not to like? Shame a bit about the dungeons, though, 'cause they do seem smaller, but they are still p. cool (the Barrows) and you can tell they've been done with care and attention to detail.

Also, it's a shame the monster AI has been drastically improved and they no longer get stuck in doorways (or maybe it's the removal of doorways altogether...?) etc, which means AI can't be hilariously abused anymore... :(

So far, Darth Roxor's seal of approval :thumbsup:

DaveO

Erudite
I don't think GameFAQs accepts walkthrus past a certain point. I tried to submit a walkthru multiple times for an RPG and never saw it posted. Comments and reviews for the same walkthru on other locations have been positive. Unfortunately, I'm maxed out on my M&M webpage so I'd not be able to host any additional content.

Andrew Schultz disappeared with the great Geo$hities purge, and even the CRPG Addict has no clue on how to reach him(if he's still alive).

Luzur

Good Sir
DaveO said:
Andrew Schultz disappeared with the great Geo$hities purge, and even the CRPG Addict has no clue on how to reach him(if he's still alive).

was that Wyzardry's real name?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I don't think so. Schultz always displayed his real name. He was a pretty cool guy too, I had an email exchange over the Might and Magics with him back in the days.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Does it matter if I play MMVII before playing VI?

I played VI about halfway through a while back and was thinknig of trying VII even though I didnt finish VI. Does the storyline continue from VI to VII?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom