Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Mauman

Learned
Merge. I began MM7. Now I have to choose between Dark and Light Path (judge quest).
If I choose path of dark for my 1 cleric and 2 sorcerers, could I learn/use Light Magic? Or only Dark Magic?
In the context of MM7, you're locked to dark or light depending on the path you take as the opposing trainers will tell you to pound sand.

That being said, you can change a character to a different path in MM6 (not sure about mm8). There are npcs that will "retrain" you essentially. Be warned though, I haven't tried using them before. I'm not 100% how they work. Only that I know they exist.

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Started the merged mod. Wow. It really makes a difference to see MM VI with the MMVIII engine. Monumental kind of job done by the modder. Plus the patch includes a lot of graphical improvements. Could not play much yet, but loved you can create character with any race from the three games.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I dunno it is the Merge or I am so great, but my Level11 party (Druid-Druid-Cleric-Sorcerer-Sorcerer) is killing everything easily in Deyja Moors. My sorcerers are using wimpy Fire Bolt spells.
Btw does the Meditation skill add SP regeneration in vanilla?
That's just the power of spellcasters. Once you get over the initial difficulty hump, spell casters just fuck things up in the trilogy.
nah, firebolt is a very low damage single target spell, even if you already have 10 points in fire magic for GM. A martial character dual wielding should outdamage sorcerers at this early point by a mile. Seems like they fucked things up with the merge mod

Mauman

Learned
I dunno it is the Merge or I am so great, but my Level11 party (Druid-Druid-Cleric-Sorcerer-Sorcerer) is killing everything easily in Deyja Moors. My sorcerers are using wimpy Fire Bolt spells.
Btw does the Meditation skill add SP regeneration in vanilla?
That's just the power of spellcasters. Once you get over the initial difficulty hump, spell casters just fuck things up in the trilogy.
nah, firebolt is a very low damage single target spell, even if you already have 10 points in fire magic for GM. A martial character dual wielding should outdamage sorcerers at this early point by a mile. Seems like they fucked things up with the merge mod
Meh....having played both mm7 merge and non-merge multiple times, I'm pretty sure the damage formula is exactly the same for firebolt (and by pretty sure, I mean "yes, it is"). Yes, a martial character can hit harder, but you don't HAVE to hit harder to kill something, you just have to hit hard enough. 5 (I mean 4 + whatever the cleric is doing) firebolts can take out weaker enemies from a distance and the harpies in the Deya Moors aren't exactly the most difficult enemies around.

edit - edited due to realizing a cleric is in that group.

Last edited:

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
MM7 Merge.
Where can I buy Fly, Town Portal, Lloyds Beacon spells? I have not seen any. Level26 party.

Mauman

Learned
MM7 Merge.
Where can I buy Fly, Town Portal, Lloyds Beacon spells? I have not seen any. Level26 party.
You're going to want master and paramount guilds for spells like that. The paramount guild of water in particular is a bit out of the way (Evermorn Island).

RNG can screw you over and they might not be available when you arrive. You might have to leave the area for a while for the stock to refresh. Alternatively, make a save before entering the shop. I think the stock is selected the first time you enter the shop. Alternatively alternatively, if that's not the case and my memory is playing tricks on me, make a save before entering the zone the shop is located.

https://the-spoiler.com/RPG/New.World.Computing/might.and.magic7.2/MM7.HTM has a list of all guilds near the bottom of the page for stuff like that.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
how spells work in merge anyway? Which rules do they follow? Do you get 6th or 7th spark dmg?

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Meh....having played both mm7 merge and non-merge multiple times, I'm pretty sure the damage formula is exactly the same for firebolt (and by pretty sure, I mean "yes, it is"). Yes, a martial character can hit harder, but you don't HAVE to hit harder to kill something, you just have to hit hard enough. 5 (I mean 4 + whatever the cleric is doing) firebolts can take out weaker enemies from a distance and the harpies in the Deya Moors aren't exactly the most difficult enemies around.

edit - edited due to realizing a cleric is in that group.

by "killing everything easily" I didn't imagine casting Firebolt a dozen times on every single enemy, which is what it would take to kill the undead and harpies with Firebolt. Sounds more like tedium than anything.

catfood

AGAIN
Quesion about the Merge Mod:

In MM7 the idiotic devs added hated races/classes for the monsters, meaning that certain monsters would mostly (read: almost exclusively) attack certain races and classes, leading to the point where instead of having the damage spread out equally among the party you would always have one guy who constantly got pummeled by enemies and thus requiring constant healing. The only rational way of playing MM7 was to have all the party members be one race in order to mitigate this problem, though like I said before sometimes enemies had hated classes as well (undead targeted clerics etc.) and that was much more difficult to get around. Does MM8 or the Merge Mod handle this differently? I want to play this because trying out different race/class combinations is the best part of fantasy RPGs for me, but if the mechanic is still in place I'll just go with an all human party or something and call it a day.

Mauman

Learned
Quesion about the Merge Mod:

In MM7 the idiotic devs added hated races/classes for the monsters, meaning that certain monsters would mostly (read: almost exclusively) attack certain races and classes, leading to the point where instead of having the damage spread out equally among the party you would always have one guy who constantly got pummeled by enemies and thus requiring constant healing. The only rational way of playing MM7 was to have all the party members be one race in order to mitigate this problem, though like I said before sometimes enemies had hated classes as well (undead targeted clerics etc.) and that was much more difficult to get around. Does MM8 or the Merge Mod handle this differently? I want to play this because trying out different race/class combinations is the best part of fantasy RPGs for me, but if the mechanic is still in place I'll just go with an all human party or something and call it a day.
This is generally overblown.

How it works in MM7 -

Humans enemies (not warlocks, mages, clerics, brigands, and champions) hate elves.

Elves hate humans

Goblins hate dwarves (lol)

Dwarves hate Goblins.

You almost never fight dwarves (unless you're doing something you really shouldn't be doing). Elves only come up once in a blue moon. Goblins are a joke past the first areas.

Really, the only race you have to worry about is elves and only when fighting human champion enemies. I suppose the brigand types can be dangerous as well. Actually, not the case. It's only really the basic soldiers and thieves that hate elves. Champions are actually programmed to go after MEN (and knights) over anything else. Turns out Brigands don't care either.

So, don't worry about it? Alternatively, don't use filthy elves? Seriously, don't worry about it.

Fact is, most of the "preferred enemy" deals in mm7 are based on your class. So you're going to have to deal with that no matter what unless you want to be super boring and go all 4 same race/class/sex.

edit - hilariously enough, it's probably sex that will trip someone up the most. Women are targeted by vampires and (this is the big one, literally) titans. Men get targeted by harpies (lol) and champions. And yeah champions hit like dumpster trucks, but (as mentioned) even if your knight(s) are women, they'll still target them due to targeting men AND knights.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
does it also follow 8th classes or what? How chargen works, along with promotions and different masteries/ grand masteries and eligibility to them across those 3 games?
I made a post about it 2 or 3 days ago. It has a grand mix of everything. You can have a Necromancer from the start, which is a (nerfed) tier 2 class and can upgrade to Lich or dark Archmage by doing the Lich promotion quest from either MM7 or MM8, or the Archmage promotion quest from MM6.

Or you can have a Sorcerer, which is a tier 1 class and can upgrade to Wizard through either the MM6 or MM7 Wizard promotion quest, and then can go on to Lich just as the Necromancer above, or to Archmage through either the MM6 promotion quest or the MM7 promotion quest.

So tough luck starting with a Sorcerer in Jadame, as all the promotion quests for him are in Enroth and in Antagarich. Likewise, a Minotaur class character can only progress to Minotaur Lord through the quest in Jadame. The Jadamean promotion quests for Clerics and Knights bring you only to tier 2, if I recall correctly.

It is also possible to have various weird race and class combinations, like a vampire cleric, iirc.

Mauman

Learned
does it also follow 8th classes or what? How chargen works, along with promotions and different masteries/ grand masteries and eligibility to them across those 3 games?

It is also possible to have various weird race and class combinations, like a vampire cleric, iirc.
Vampire cleric works if you play MM7 and go priest of dark :P

I do think the Vampire druid I ran with once might be a bit on the nose though.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

can you be vampire lich?

Mauman

Learned

can you be vampire lich?
No. You can be vampire wizard/necromancer and get promoted, but the game won't let you go lich. Not that you need it. You have all of the upsides with none of the downsides. You get an equivalent, but game recognizes you're already undead.

Vampires, generally speaking, are a bit overpowered when used with magic classes. Their mist ability in particular is extremely strong when paired with decent spellcasting. Don't use them if that bothers you.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
honestly i just keep shelving solo mm6 run and now I have more options... Although Im not sure that solo dual vampiric daggers is 'fair'

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I never tried 7 or 8, what’s with the undead? Lemme take a gander.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/197943-might-and-magic-viii-day-of-the-destroyer/faqs/9310

Character types and races have been through several changes throughout the Might & Magic series. M&M 1-5 had you pick both a race and a class for your characters. The class determined hit points, spell points, and which equipment you could use. The race determined innate resistances, and applied certain
bonuses and penalties to your statistics.

In Might & Magic 6, only human characters were available, and only six classes.

Each character had certain skills available to them depending on their class, though some were universal and could be mastered by any class. In M&M 7, the races were brought back, and the number of classes expanded. Skills were also much more exclusive now; while many skills could be learned by different
classes, the level of mastery possible varied. For instance, most characters
could use a bow, but only the Archer could reach the highest level of mastery with it.

Might & Magic 8 uses a combination of the systems of 6 and 7; for the first time in Might & Magic history, there is no difference between a race and a class. There are eight character types to pick, three of which are human. The other five are of different races by their very nature.

The classes are also more exotic this time. The only classes that were imported from previous games are the Knight and the Cleric. The Necromancer is the third human character, and is similar to the Mage in earlier M&M games. New additions
include the Dark Elf, the Troll, the Minotaur and the Vampire, all fresh and interesting characters. Finally, one or more of your characters can be Dragons, and they're every bit as powerful as you might expect.
Uh WHAT?!! Ok…. I guess I assumed it was similar to 7.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/143119-might-and-magic-vii-for-blood-and-honor/faqs/27762

Kind to think about it, in 7 does no one choose Light?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I never tried 7 or 8, what’s with the undead? Lemme take a gander.
what is your question?

you can play a party of undeads(vampires and liches, sadly no skeletal dragons). There is whole undead faction that feels very homm like.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, I always thought HOMM and the series was pretty closely tied for a while until the whole company went up into smoke. From XEEN & HOMM1 continuing onwards. I would have never known about the cutting room floor of HOMM3 and the tech city until people started grabbing assets and worked to build the city type in mods at the HOMM community. That place rages onwards in HOMM modding (like I needed it with just basic HOMM addiction….. so many years playing HOMM took away my thirst to just play rpgs). Brings back Populous fevers from Genesis & Amiga days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom