Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What level are you? I also wonder how bad the c64 port is as when I played my old crew a few decades ago I was ripping the shit out of everything. If the old c64 worked I’d boot it up and take a pic of their stats and gear. I just know I got tired of resetting that hour glass to get my age down. No wonder the dinosaurs are extinct…. I KILLED THEM ALL!

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
What level are you? I also wonder how bad the c64 port is as when I played my old crew a few decades ago I was ripping the shit out of everything. If the old c64 worked I’d boot it up and take a pic of their stats and gear. I just know I got tired of resetting that hour glass to get my age down. No wonder the dinosaurs are extinct…. I KILLED THEM ALL!
Their levels were between 10 and 13 at the time, I had just got the level 7 spells for the cleric and wizard. Octavius was right though, the FAQ authors were on crack. The dragons were so much more difficult than any of the normal endgame enemies that if you *could* grind on them, you would already be so powerful that you wouldn't need to grind anyways. They're so resistant to magic and their breath attacks seem to do the same damage no matter what buffs you apply.

I beat it though, the dragons can keep this trash ass planet! I'm out!

mm102.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
lemme think what classes I had 1 of each class:
Knight
Paladin
Archer
Robber
Cleric
Sorcerer

So a standard party and technically that party finished the game several times since you can do that. I guess I was just exploring everything over and over again recording stuff. I still think the c64 had some sort of leveling error of i just had heaps of xp stored because I’d empty my gold leveling up then have to go to Dino land. Shit, what were they near lvl 60? At least 40. I think I was trying to get their core stats up by doing a certain series of quests then going to a certain dungeon that would reset quests. Memory is foggy there. I don’t recall a level limit.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
lemme think what classes I had 1 of each class:
Knight
Paladin
Archer
Robber
Cleric
Sorcerer

So a standard party and technically that party finished the game several times since you can do that. I guess I was just exploring everything over and over again recording stuff. I still think the c64 had some sort of leveling error of i just had heaps of xp stored because I’d empty my gold leveling up then have to go to Dino land. Shit, what were they near lvl 60? At least 40. I think I was trying to get their core stats up by doing a certain series of quests then going to a certain dungeon that would reset quests. Memory is foggy there. I don’t recall a level limit.
Oh yeah, the quest to reset the stat fountains. I had to do that one several times because my patience for rolling up stats is *extremely* thin. In the basement of the castle next to the town of Dusk (#4) there's a priest who hangs out in a room and makes you go around ringing random bells until you luck in to the correct ones. Each time you ring a bell, you get teleported to a random spot in the dungeon. The process can take an entire hour and one unlucky combat can wipe all of your progress since you can't save and the quest resets if you retreat from the area.

Kuruwin

Novice
I'm thinking about starting MM4&MM5 in the near future. Any recommendations for good party composition?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm thinking about starting MM4&MM5 in the near future. Any recommendations for good party composition?

I would recommend one robber and one sorc. No more no less.

With the rest you can really do whatever the fuck you want. I like Paladins and Archers, but double barb is the easy way to fly. Something like Barb / Barb / Paladin / Robber / Cleric / Sorc would be very strong, though I would personally not play with that party myself.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just use the pregens. The game is easy enough and the character system so basic that there's really not much to think about.

Mauman

Scholar
Barb/Ninja(or rogue)/Pal/Pal/Arch/Arch

SP is not as big of a deal as some might make it out to be.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Game needs a reset so you can grind it again with your Uber endgame party. And it needs a difficulty setting up to 10 where each increment 10-25% harder.

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
M&M 2 on the snes had a lot of fun bugs that could be exploited. Like the broken disintegrate or the 3 giants giving gazillion moneys and xp.

Steps:

1-create shitty party
2-go get Mr. Wizard
3-Teleport to mountain where giants are
4-disintegrate (read with Dalek voice)
5-Profit

PS: The incredible amount of useless old video game trivia I posses sometimes scares me

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Dorateen

Arcane
I remember using that tactic, not for our main adventuring party, but for the extra characters who were created for bringing along on the class specific quests. A quick way to get them up to speed.

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I also remember M&M 6 being extremely adictive. Nice graphics for the time too. Gameplay loop was a bit repetitive but man, the game was such a hardcore drug that I did not mind.

Alex

Arcane
I also remember M&M 6 being extremely adictive. Nice graphics for the time too. Gameplay loop was a bit repetitive but man, the game was such a hardcore drug that I did not mind.

I have always thought it looked hideous; especially given how beautiful four and five looked.

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I have always thought it looked hideous; especially given how beautiful four and five looked.
It has this weird graphics that tried to look "real" , specially the character portraits. I kinda liked it :D

I never played 4 and 5, are they recommended? It is one of the few sagas I did not play.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Wasn’t 6 during the time 3D polygonal graphics was hot on the scene for all modern platforms. 2D in all its forms was thought to be phasing out to get this hot bitch 3D titties in your face. 3D Titty slap after Titty slap.

Side Note: has anyone had their Might & Magic maps made into cloth maps? Paper were fine but damn cloth maps would be pretty cool. Maybe make ultima 1 maps cloth as well.

One site I found.

Last edited:

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wasn’t 6 during the time 3D polygonal graphics was hot on the scene for all modern platforms. 2D in all its forms was thought to be phasing out to get this hot bitch 3D titties in your face. 3D Titty slap after Titty slap.
It was 1998 so yeah, it was the beginning of the golden age of 3dfx

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom