Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I just brewed pure intellect potion (+50 to int permanently) for my wizard and all it did was to increase max spell points from 208 to 216. What the fuck?
each post of yours continues to surprise me. Are you even enjoying it or feel codex peer pressure?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I just brewed pure intellect potion (+50 to int permanently) for my wizard and all it did was to increase max spell points from 208 to 216. What the fuck?
Diminishing returns. If you already have 127 Int, 50 more will not do much.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Finished the game. I have no idea what happened. Some guys landed and needed to get something from the planet? But split up and one side went Good, other went Evil?

Then they got the cube or whatever and teleported to some old station that can open a portal to anywhere. That's it?

"Kreegans", "silence", "war", none of it tells me anything.

No big boss at the end felt like a let down.

Last edited:

D!!

Educated
New to the series, downloaded MMMerged mod but I all I want from it is just to complete original MM7 storyline for now. Really like how smooth everything works on my modern system with this mod. However, I have a couple of questions:
1) Will there be a clear indication when I'll finish mm7 campaign?
2) My party is KCSS but I'm using portraits and paper dolls from MM8 (vampires and minotaur). Will there be any restrictions for me if I'll only play mm7 part? Like unfitting equipment or class progression. AFAIK these portraits are purely cosmetical and the only thing that matters is that I started on Antagarich, so my minotaur-looking-cleric is just regular cleric from mm7

D!!

Educated
New to the series, downloaded MMMerged mod but I all I want from it is just to complete original MM7 storyline for now. Really like how smooth everything works on my modern system with this mod. However, I have a couple of questions:
1) Will there be a clear indication when I'll finish mm7 campaign?
2) My party is KCSS but I'm using portraits and paper dolls from MM8 (vampires and minotaur). Will there be any restrictions for me if I'll only play mm7 part? Like unfitting equipment or class progression. AFAIK these portraits are purely cosmetical and the only thing that matters is that I started on Antagarich, so my minotaur-looking-cleric is just regular cleric from mm7
Hmm, already noticed that I cannot equip helmets and boots on my minotaur-cleric. Will I get through the game without them? I guess it's okay since game is very easy.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I've put 4 hours in Might and Magic Book 1 and so far I've walked in circles around the city trying to make enough money to buy equipment. Unfortunately, I keep getting enough exp to level up which costs all the money I was going to buy equipment with. Level 4 now. Hopefully I'll get out of the first town within the next few weeks.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I've put 4 hours in Might and Magic Book 1 and so far I've walked in circles around the city trying to make enough money to buy equipment. Unfortunately, I keep getting enough exp to level up which costs all the money I was going to buy equipment with. Level 4 now. Hopefully I'll get out of the first town within the next few weeks.
Sounds familiar. Make sure to search after every fight.

newtmonkey

Arcane
jaekl
Levels are important for all characters, but it might be worth focusing on levels for your spellcasters, and equipment for everyone else at first. I don't recall needing to grind levels much at all in this one; once you've explored/survived the town map, you should be able to explore the dungeon beneath it, and then from there you can start exploring outside a bit.

If you're coming at this game with a Wizardry mindset, note that it's quite different. In most situations, it's better to treat every single battle as a life or death struggle, and cast all your best spells. You can camp once you're out of spell points, with almost zero chance of being ambushed.

Zoo

Educated
In early games levels are needed for all characters, you don't want fighters which made of glass. Magic is even prohibited is some zones. Camping is useful, but there is a small chance for ambushes, and in certain dangerous areas camping isn't allowed at all. Many fights are trivial after a few levels and with decent equipment. I highly suggest to backtrack to the inn relativeley regularly. You can adventuring, but many failed runs are almost guaranteed. And this is fun.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
jaekl
Levels are important for all characters, but it might be worth focusing on levels for your spellcasters, and equipment for everyone else at first. I don't recall needing to grind levels much at all in this one; once you've explored/survived the town map, you should be able to explore the dungeon beneath it, and then from there you can start exploring outside a bit.

If you're coming at this game with a Wizardry mindset, note that it's quite different. In most situations, it's better to treat every single battle as a life or death struggle, and cast all your best spells. You can camp once you're out of spell points, with almost zero chance of being ambushed.
The problem was that I was battling the above ground monsters and getting 50 - 150 xp but only 0 - 3 shekels. After adventuring in the dungeon, I got all my equipment bought up, level 5 training and a bunch of extra money in about an hour. The rest of the game should be a light spring breeze now!

EDIT: never mind it isn't a spring breeze at all.

Last edited:

Aemar

Arcane

So how is this co-op mod? It looks like these people are having fun.

zapotec

Liturgist
Wow, how the passing of time is handled if one goes to region X with 5 days and another one goes to region Y with a travelling time of 3 days? I guess they travel all together

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I have a question: Everyone says in FAQs and such to go grind on dragon encounters in Might and Magic 1 late game. They say this like it's no big deal. So, I try it and red dragons do up to 80 damage per breath when I have 75% fire resist, dancing sword does 2 to 5 damage usually, moon beam never does more than 2 damage, meteor shower the same. It takes an entire round of melee attacks to take out one of 6+ dragons. What's the secret here?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The FAQ is wrong. You don't have to grind. And Dragon Town is optional.
But if you want the best drops, get into the castle Castle Doom, trigger the alarm, and clear out the Monster Breeding Grounds.

I can't remember the best tactics against dragons, though.
It probably involves having your Cleric casting Power Cure every round, or something.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
The FAQ is wrong. You don't have to grind. And Dragon Town is optional.
But if you want the best drops, get into the castle Castle Doom, trigger the alarm, and clear out the Monster Breeding Grounds.

I can't remember the best tactics against dragons, though.
It probably involves having your Cleric casting Power Cure every round, or something.
Those breeding grounds are a really great tip, thanks buddy. 6,000+ experience points per battle and tons of treasure without being reduced to cinders in a single round. Of course, some monster down there stole my backpack full of all the quest items I found over the course of this extremely long game... OH WELL!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom