Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

xemous

Arcane
inter-esting ... i was thinking of buying mm9 because it comes bundled with the fan patch, now you've given me pause.

Luzur

Good Sir
ok, ludmeister's Mosnter Spawner mod for WoX is out!

If all goes well, I am going to release my World of Xeen Monster Spawn mod tonight. It will be available for download at my site, and there will be a (mostly) exhaustive changelog, a few screenshots and a full item list documenting what is different in the mod.

The time is largely dependent on how difficult imy 11-month-old son (aka Little Dude™) is to put to sleep tonight, and how much touch-up is necessary. Stay tuned...

EDIT: The mod is now released. Download the World of Xeen Monster Spawn mod here. I hope you all enjoy it!

also, MM3 news:

More news on the Might and Magic 3 front. In my playtesting for the MM3 Monster Spawn (and more) mod, I have found and squashed another bug that was in stock MM3. As of now, the MM3.exe conversion kit available at my site includes these two bugfixes:

Arena Experience bugfix— Arena awards its bonus properly (MM3 used to actually penalize experience if you had won more than 32 arena battles).

Damage resistance bugfix— This bug surfaces in the late-game when characters are hitting for tons of damage, and monsters have damage resistance. A 16-bit overflow occurs when multiplying out the resistance of the creature, resulting in far reduced damage. Damage is now calculated properly.

These bugfixes won't work unless you convert your MM3.CC as well.

Luzur

Good Sir
more updates:

ludmeister said:
It is with great excitement (and a little trepidation) that I announce the release of my two Monster Spawn mods. The World of Xeen mod was released about a week ago, and I just released the Isles of Terra mod just a few minutes ago.

As with any undertaking that's more than just a trivial change here and there, there's always the possibility that I've introduced bugs and/or undocumented features into the game. I apologize ahead of time for this, and hope that any here who are interested in these projects will be willing to let me know if I've seriously blown anything up.

I have played both mods through, and believe that the pacing is at least as well done as the original games, though it has to be said that these mods are definitely tailored to combat aficionados, and it may be tedious to those who'd rather get into the story. Then again, it's fun to kick the crap out of monsters that used to terrorize the party when they were a few levels inferior.

I'd like to open this thread up as a discussion for the mods and as a place to submit bugs/complaints/questions/whatever-else-may-be-on-your-mind concerning either the Isles of Terra or the World of Xeen mods.

Luzur

Good Sir
and some news about Might and Magic X:

Hey M&M lovers!

I have some exciting news for you folks who are following the M&MX project. We're going to break down the game into episodes so that the workload is more manageable, and the game will actually see the light of day. There will be 5 separate episodic releases, and you will be able to port your party from one episode to another, so you don't lose any progress on your characters.

In other news, production has slowed due to Vector's absence, but we're still going at it. We're accumulating a great deal of Character Artwork and Monster Artwork, which will be released simultaneously with the M&MX website when it's launched. Due to Vector's absence, we have not been able to complete the site, but it's our goal to finish things up with the site in a month or two, and then Christian, our Lead Programmer, will begin to develop the game mechanics in Unity. By the way, our new plan is to program M&MX so it will support Windows and WINE, which provides support for Unix.

Join the M&MX developers!
We are still in need of 3D modelers, level designers, and video designers. If you want to help us finish this game, please, by all means, let us know and apply to join the project!

Drop me an email at MMXAlamar@gmail.com if you're interested.

-Alamar

i wonder if they will do a Valve and accidently forget episode 3?

hydd

Might and Magic VI. I'm sure nostalgia weighs heavy on my decision.

Repressed Homosexual
It doesn't seem like good news.

"Hey, good news guys, we're making progress on the game! Although we've just started to use Unity and begun thinking up of the gameplay features, and need artists, modelers and programmers."

You know it's going to be stuck in development limbo and abandoned.

Ebola1717

Novice
So... are MM8 and 9 worth playing? I just played MM6 and 7. And how does Arx Fatalis fare? I haven't played Stonekeep or Lands of Lore, either, but I've never been a fan of grid RPGs.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Playing VII, enjoying it a lot so far. One question, I'm aiming for a dual-wielding warrior, most people seem to recommend axe/sword, but my flatmate recommends spear/sword for maximum damage. Thoughts?

Luzur

Good Sir
more news:

some guys building Enroth in Minecraft.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13000

the same guys that coded The Chaos Conspiracy mod for MM6 is now modding MM8:

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12085

echo.png

vladimir-maestro said:
i'm afraid but 8,5 enhanced is a part of new mm8 mod.

i didn't wanted to anounce it cause didn't have anything exept ambitions and ideas in style "what if mm8 could have this or this...".

now we got some material to work with and got something to show...

belive me - you even couldn't imagine that all this is possible in MM8!
i won't tell you much cause we still got difficulties with some tricky things but few you will know:
1) enhanced graphics
2) animated plants
3) reworked units
4) unique unit tier appearance!!! YES! it is possible! single monster tier could be differ now! just look at the buccaniers:
piratsdone2.jpg

three levels and each level looks it's own way!
5) even unique bosses will be "visible" in a crowd...
6) enhanced storyline and many other things that will stay unrevealed for now.

animated trees:

new creature texures:
sexier Lizard folk:
lizardnpc.jpg

cooler vampires:

vampires.jpg

MMXI

Arcane
Why has the poll reset? Anyway, at least there's now a chance of Isles of Terra rightfully winning!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't think the Judge can die until you give the horn to someone. But if he has and you didn't give the horn to him beforehand, then yes you missed the opportunity. Doesn't make any difference aside from cosmetics though, it's a later decision that will influence the rest of the game.

Also, this thread is still alive :love:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I wandered into Harmondale for training having done nothing main quest/King-related other than the Stone City quest and got the message that he'd died of old age. Certainly a novel way to tell me to get on with it. Maybe it's level-related?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure. I usually do a lot of sidequests before he dies and I level up quite a bit, but never had this happen. In fact I usually have to go on extended sidequesting to actually get him to die. Are you using Greyface's? I never have, so it may have changed this part of the scripting. Usually the horn appears about a month after the war resumes, and he dies another month after this.

EDIT: had a look and there are dozens of theories on when Grey dies, nothing certain. You may have to restore from much earlier (ie right after Stone City) if you want to do the Rulers' quests and get the horn.

Luzur

Good Sir
i think i read somewhere that Grey's death event starts after doing Stone City, then it is randomized when he dies.

but it was a long time ago so im not sure.

I must admit I've completely missed MM franchise previous to VI Mandate of Heaven. I'm about to fix this though, I think I'm giving a III a go soon. I love the franchise (VI-VIII) though for several reasons:
-It's easy to play, yet difficulty is set high enough so it gives challenge
-Despite it's easy, it also has huge amount of bonuses and treasures discover
-The game is also very rewarding when you find those places and things that increase your stats, or the right trainers
-Music creates the atmosphere!

I think VI and VII in terms are quite equal. I may like overall map and dungeons of VI slightly more but the good and evil paths are quite nice addon in VII. Actually one of the top moments in VII I think was the chapter where you can turn your mage into an undead lich! That was just so cool in my opinion. When you've finally done all quests and raised your skills equal to be accepted for this ritual whatsoever. However VIII just didn't feel that good, but was definetely the same design with some chances and poorer dungeons etc. But I still think it's also decent game on it's own right.

M&M franchise might not be the most hardcore RPG series to play, but it sure is fun and rewarding. Now I better finally try out that part III.. :)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
M&M franchise might not be the most hardcore RPG series to play, but it sure is fun and rewarding. Now I better finally try out that part III.. :)

Both in quantity and longevity M&M is probably the superior gaming franchise, but it also remained of a high quality and was great fun all the way from MM1 in 1986 to Dark Messiah and HoMM V twenty years later. The only downright bad game is probably Crusaders of M&M (which I haven't tried). MM9 is not very good, but still playable IMO.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Finished 7. Wow, much shorter and easier game than 6. Was it rushed out in a year or two? Feels like it. Not that it was bad, though; after 6, the smaller dungeons and fewer mobs were actually kind of welcome. I don't think I'll ever play through the enjoyable endurance contest that was 6 again, whereas I can see myself running through 7 fairly often. Good game.

New World Computing had contractual obligations towards 3DO forcing them to release a game every 8 months or something to the effect.

Maybe one of the reasons they didn't really update the game engine between parts VI and VIII? No time to do everything in 8 months I would think. But then again I'm not in gaming business.. :P

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I'm about to fix this though
Good. Gooooooood!

I think I'm giving a III a go soon.
Any reason you're not starting with MM1?

I think VI and VII in terms are quite equal. I may like overall map and dungeons of VI slightly more but the good and evil paths are quite nice addon in VII.
Map design in 6 is just superb. The reason I find 7 holds on quite well is that the character system is much more interesting thanks to races, Grandmastery, extra classes, and limits on skill specializations per class. 6 had odd balancing due to everyone being able to Master any skill they learn, whereas in 7 there's no perfect party that can GM everything, so you've got to decide which skills are less important. Makes for better replayability too, especially with the light/dark paths.

However VIII just didn't feel that good, but was definetely the same design with some chances and poorer dungeons etc. But I still think it's also decent game on it's own right.
8 really isn't as bad as it's made out to be. Its only major problem is balancing due to dragon's base attack being ridiculously overpowered. It's not as good as 6-7, but it's not a bad game at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom