Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.7%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
8 really isn't as bad as it's made out to be. Its only major problem is balancing due to dragon's base attack being ridiculously overpowered. It's not as good as 6-7, but it's not a bad game at all.
I agree that it's not a bad game, I finished it three or four times actually. Yet, the dragons are not the main problem for me, it's easy not to take one. But not being able to make a full party and having only one hand-made character plus some NPC sucks donkey balls. The more so since the first party you can gather (before venturing forth) is always the same. It often prevented me from replaying it yet another time.

Luzur

Good Sir
news from the fronts!

new World of Xeen 2 pics:

ce77671c3dd5.jpg

Demo will be very soon. We already have everything except balanced combat system. So this is what we need to do before complete demo.

MMXI

Arcane
It looks like they've turned up the bloom to hide the bad graphics, but no one interested in playing a new M&M game will give a fuck about the graphics.

Try staring at the dragon's wing for a minute. Your eyes will bleed.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM detected.
Yeah I'm not impressed. Unless the bloom can be switched off this is unplayable. And the fluorescent green grass reminds me too much of Oblivion :(

Garmik

Novice
Except for the fucking bloom (But surely you'll be able to turn it off) WoX 2 has me really excited, can't wait for the demo.

Luzur

Good Sir
this just in from the Might and Magic society!

Asomath said:
MMT 2012 Report
Hello everyone! A lot has been happening with Might and Magic Tribute over the past few months, and we would like to update everyone on the progress of MMT as to where we stand at this point in time. Here are the major updates:

Welcome Home MMT

It’s been six months since we moved from Castle Gobs to our temporary forums. Although the discussion was able to continue, the problem of actually having a primary location for the project remained.
We finally decided to give Might and Magic Tribute a home. It’s still in a transitory phase, but at the moment has most of its functionality. Check it out here.
http://www.mmtribute.com/

Dialogue System

Akkarin, a coder for the MMT team, nailed out the basics of the MMT dialogue system in UDK.

MmtributeDialogue.png

He kept the structure in place, so most of the dialogues from the previous MMT versions can be transferred over, saving a lot of unnecessary work. In this dialogue system there can be different dialogue texts and dialogue options depending on conditions like race, gender, amount of gold, or number of skillpoints! So think twice before you send your Necromancer to knock on the door of that Cleric of the Sun.

Also, certain actions can be performed through dialogues, e.g. increase/decrease amount of gold, increase experience of each character, learn skill, set level of expertise of certain skill (expert, master, grandmaster)

Karigor… isn’t that an island?

Many people know about Might and Magic Tributes almost controversial decision to call the lands north of Jadame Karigor. Some fans didn’t care; others considered a nuance, while others named it as blatantly disregarding game lore.

EnrothParchment1.jpg

We have decided that evidence entirely supports that Karigor is an island nation. Our goal is to make Might and Magic Tribute as lore-friendly as possible. Although there are possible work-arounds to the lore, we believe the best way is to respect that Karigor is an island far off the coast of Enroth, and to rename the lands of MMT.
For now, the chief theatre will simply be referenced as Continent Five, or more simply Cont-5, as it is the fifth major land on Enroth. A new name will be decided at a later date. Karigor will likely still be a playable region in MMT, but more on that will come in time.

Modeling

A long time project contributor, Sinbad will continue his work on MMT project. With UDK the standards are even a bit higher than before. For his project, he's been working on the exterior of the first dungeon the players will encounter, the massive pyramid-like structure called the Abandoned Temple.
ATConcept.jpg

ATWIP.jpg

As of today, Sinbad has completed the model… it is in the process of being implemented.

Creating Serenity
Serenity is the starting zone for Might and Magic Tribute. Basic terra-forming has been completed. Prototyping has begun. For those who don’t know, prototyping is the process of laying out the maps basic objects (buildings, fountains, etc.) in both relative position and proportion.
Serenity.jpg

Serenity will be the first demo released for Might and Magic Tribute. We are still shooting to have a playable demo in the hands of Fans this summer, as it is stated on the calendar on the website.

SerenityWaterfall.jpg

Conclusion

And that is what has happened so far. As always, we will ask for the community’s aid and support throughout the game development, from contributing resources, to suggesting game ideas, or even helping to advertise the project!

Might and Magic Eternal,
~Asomath
E-Mail: asomath@mmtribute.com
Forums: http://mmtribute.forumotion.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Might-and-Magic-Tribute-The-Book-of-Ceth/331478756884911
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BookOfCeth

wow, who would have thought that MMT was alive? i followed it from around...1998? and all i saw over the years was a slow descent into oblivion for that project.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
itsalive1969.jpg

seriously, I've gave up hope on this project, well, say... four years ago? five? Can't even remember. Man, this brings back memories. 14 years. Two project heads vanishing. Three or four forums.
Just wow.

Luzur

Good Sir
i still think the very first iteration of this mod (the working demo that reused MM8 textures/engine) had the better chance of completion, if not that Sir something that modded it hadnt vanished.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Have any of you guys played the "World of Xeen" map for Age of Wonders 2?
If so, what did you think of it?
It was one of the first user made maps for AoW2 and you can read my own comments there. The map felt too disjointed, which is nearly always the case when "translating" maps instead of building it up from scratch with your own designs.

Luzur

Good Sir
and in other news, MMT (Might and Magic Tribute) devs acknowledges that they dont have much support left from the fans on their 9 year old project, as i bluntly told them:

Talin_Trollbane said:
i'll give you a second chance to prove yourself with a demo, for old times sake.

after some 8 years or so waiting for this game i can afford that.

Asomath said:
I think thats a thought shared by all Talin. These past year really is the last push for MMT. Coming on to 9 years of development, this projects been under construction for far to long. I feel that if this final breath of motivation doesnt yield what it needs to, in a reasonable timeframe, the it might finally be time for MMT to let its last flame die out rather than continue leading a fanbase on a roller coaster ride.

To that effect, isnt he cute? Sinbad's been workin on him today. Its the Tripod, a lovely predator in Serenity. A giant carnivorous three-legged tarantula so to speak... with spikes for good measure:

tripod10.png

who knows? maybe they come around now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom