Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 213 28.6%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.3%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
So there's a guy going around the interwebs right now (not gonna name him) plugging his new "MM database" site. LOL. I checked it out, it's fucking garbage. He simply parrots the same old debunked inflo I've read countless times.
He should have spent more time playing and testing the game, or reading the damn source code from scumm, instead of making obvious AI generated fantasy art.

DaveO

Erudite
People think it would be pretty easy to make some M&M game-related site, but MMX proved that it was the last iteration of the series. With no new M&M material until who knows when(if ever), it's up to modders to make the changes and design M&M as they see fit while still being M&M.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
Still waiting for someone to dissect MM2.

I just might wanna do that after I'm done toying around with the data files of MM4/5... I wanna know precisely how Archers' hidden damage bonus work, and a few other things.
The PC version of MM2 is surprisingly relatively bug free.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
>start might and magic 7

>immediately die to dragonflies outside the first town

Help I have no ideas what to do

Does the game tutorialize nothing?
The thing to know about MM, and in general any game from that era and earlier, is that running away is not a cowardly action, it's often the only way you'll survive the early game. Do not be afraid to pick them off one by one, backing up as you aggro them individually.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
I began an M&M6 MAW True Nightmare playthrough. Seraphim-Rogue-Cleric-Necromancer party. Looks hard in the beginning. (Sorry for the bad video quality - OSB has some problems with this game)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The thing to know about MM, and in general any game from that era and earlier, is that running away is not a cowardly action, it's often the only way you'll survive the early game. Do not be afraid to pick them off one by one, backing up as you aggro them individually.
The expression "running away" is problematic...I prefer "tactical regrouping" myself.

I definitely remember explosive arrows having a rather big AoE and killing the party when I used them. But I don't recall finding one of those bows in M&M6, only 7 and 8.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
A bro of mine released his MM7 mod recently.

Tried this mod.
mm7Vjg4y9fEcH.jpg

It is indeed pretty, the town is especially a joy to explore.
My main gripe and the reason why i couldn't get that far into MM6-8 is the sheer amount of busywork you end up doing while outside the dungeons like searching for the right skill master or that one shop that buys your specific junk so i appreciate that the majority of skill trainers/shops here tend to congregate in a single place. Still can't find the sword trainer though.
Dungeons are pretty too with lots of neat visual details and some occasional secret.
mm7u1Ud32nR6c.jpg

Currently exploring the Apple cave/mine.

My main gripe and the reason why i couldn't get that far into MM6-8 is the sheer amount of busywork you end up doing while outside the dungeons like searching for the right skill master or that one shop that buys your specific junk so i appreciate that the majority of skill trainers/shops here tend to congregate in a single place
Aye, I feel like that's 2/3rds of the gametime in MM7/8. In 6 its not too bad because no grandmaster level and Golden Touch can handle most of your item selling eventually. Really don't know why they removed that in later games, I guess because it would give a significant quality of life advantage to one of the mutually exclusive paths in 7?

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
Has anyone ever attempted a single class challenge in MM3-4-5 ?
Or close to it, like 5 archers and 1 cleric seems interesting. Trying to kill everything with bows as much as possible, abusing jump/teleport/lloyds and guerilla tactics
(Cleric mostly there to provide Holy Bonus and Heroism)
Or 5 sorcerers and 1 cleric, but with attack spells
Or 5 barbarians and 1 druid (using items to cast Teleport only when it's mandatory to advance the quest)

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
I generally agree with you, octavius;
In the Final Fantasy Tactics message board on gamefaqs when it was really active, they pushed this to an extreme, to the point of judging a class solely by its effectiveness when you use nothing but.
"Knights suck because they suck in SCCC!" (single class character challenge)

But I am still interested in the result in MM3-4-5 from a pure theory and testing perpective.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom