Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I generally agree with you, octavius;
In the Final Fantasy Tactics message board on gamefaqs when it was really active, they pushed this to an extreme, to the point of judging a class solely by its effectiveness when you use nothing but.
"Knights suck because they suck in SCCC!" (single class character challenge)

But I am still interested in the result in MM3-4-5 from a pure theory and testing perpective.

Hybrid classes probably work better but I usually don't have any redundancy in my parties, well sometimes when there isn't enough classes like in KotC 1.
In M&M 3, even with a full party of 8, you can get one of each and it's way more entertaining than a party of clones.
Best ones are Barbarian and wizard otherwise, barbarian for the extra attacks and the wizard for high level offensive spells.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
mm7zduN3bk7vi.jpg
mm7Hn0E7m5RNT.jpg
mm7VwrDxGFH21.jpg

Amber Island continues to impress with it's dungeons and locales.
This dungeon^ got me a bit stumped though. Couldn't find the second teleporting stone until i decided to revisit that surviving adventurer and heard him mention that he found it in the room with floating furniture. The stone was hidden in the highest floating locker.
I think i am already near the end.
mm7KMe0ig3xuw.jpg

mm76ds9hER5rW.jpg

This hidden hideout was pretty challenging with it's hordes of hardhitting genies but thankfully they kept focusing on my knight instead of my squishies.
Completed pretty much every quest expect for the stolen gold coin one, couldn't find it.
The only dungeon that remains is the assault on the Amber castle.

Has anyone ever attempted a single class challenge in MM3-4-5 ?
Or close to it, like 5 archers and 1 cleric seems interesting. Trying to kill everything with bows as much as possible, abusing jump/teleport/lloyds and guerilla tactics
(Cleric mostly there to provide Holy Bonus and Heroism)
Or 5 sorcerers and 1 cleric, but with attack spells
Or 5 barbarians and 1 druid (using items to cast Teleport only when it's mandatory to advance the quest)

Shouldn't be hard at all to do something like 6 barbarians in MM3 since by the midgame its fairly common to find items that cast any spell you want, including recharge item to recharge them (thereby making an infinite loop of infinite spell casting). If you find an item of enchant item you can also use that to get literally anything IIRC.

Ditto for M4/5 except its far harder (you're gonna need to get halfway into the MM5 for the items) and they stopped you from being able to use recharge item on items that have recharge item. But on the plus side you eventually find items that have all the buffs together in one item. I think enchant item is also nerfed to not give you the best possible stuff including the highest level spells, so you actually need to get lucky and find them rather than just sitting next to a shop and playing RNG games forever.

If you have a character with recharge item then most of the issues are removed. In my MM4/5 game I focused all leveling on my Ninja and let her do all the buffing with items because a level 255 character obviously gives better buffs than my level 80ish or w/e cleric and sorcerer.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Who are the hamster and rat ? Boo and Rattus Rattus ?
Hamster is a quest NPC i found by pure chance, stumbled upon the questgiver who asked me to find him way later.
Ratman name is a Buster Squeky.
mm7RXUoVz7Eic.jpg

The abilty to hire and summon mercenaries who will fight for you is one of the mod's gimmicks. This one is free and lets you summon wererats.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Aaaand this mod is done!
mm7gqTk5S9gFE.jpg

mm7XddIml72jB.jpg

Final dungeon had some tough hordes to deal with but nothing a few applications of berserk spell couldn't handle.
Huge quantities of black potions, hour of power scrolls and high tier gear and relics in this dungeon also helped. Further cemented for myself that i really dislike wasting hours of my life on organizing the inventory.
Wererat mercenaries proved to be useless. Even after i wasted 20000 gold on upgrades for them :argh:
All in all, Amber Island is pretty cool.

UndeadHalfOrc

Educated
I've never played M&MX. I read that people who bought the game legitimately can't even play it anymore due to requiring access to a server that was shut down, so obviously you can no longer buy it either.

I'd like to at least try it. Are there any way to play it nowaday?

UndeadHalfOrc

Educated
Hi again, everybody.
10 months after having started Clouds of Xeen, here I am , finally beat World of Xeen.
Finally beat the Corak and Sheltem pentalogy, 14 years after I bought it from GOG.
Explored every square, solved every quest, killed every monster, got every award.

My party's level before spending almost all my accumulated wealth of 41 million gold on training: 108.
My party's level after training, but before claiming most of my saved free level ups: 149.
Final level, 196

Met the Mega Dragon, looked him in the eyes, and then I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

UndeadHalfOrc

Educated
It was all because of my stubborness to not play MM2-3-4-5 until I finish the first one.
Around 2011, at that time I simply couldn't get motivated to complete MM1.
MM1 wasn't that bad, it just sorely missed an automap and fixed HP at level ups.
Especially frustrating: reloading after every single character level up until I got the max HP aaccording to my endurance ruined my motivation.
That was before "Where Are We" existed, which provides a feature to force map HP at level up.

My motivation came back in summer 2022, knowing what I would miss by never playing MM2-3-4-5. Took my a week or two to finally beat MM1, ignoring many of the sidequests

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Profanity is so tiring in large doses...Ironic that he plays the censored version ("Brain Benders", for example).

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
This is working surprisingly well.

mm7steamdeck.png

I am using the GOG version started through Heroic launcher (installed in desktop mode). It automatically sets a Proton configuration for the game to run. So far I had no problems.
You just have to activate turn rate smoothing+always run and configure a controller layout with Space/ESC/Enter mapped to the buttons on the back.

Ysaye

Arbiter

View attachment 52607

I am using the GOG version started through Heroic launcher (installed in desktop mode). It automatically sets a Proton configuration for the game to run. So far I had no problems.
You just have to activate turn rate smoothing+always run and configure a controller layout with Space/ESC/Enter mapped to the buttons on the back.
Interesting - I have been thinking about putting MM7 on my Ayaneo Pocket S running with Winlator but not sure how well that will work...maybe I should use my Steam Deck instead?

RatTower

Arcane
Developer

View attachment 52607

Interesting - I have been thinking about putting MM7 on my Ayaneo Pocket S running with Winlator but not sure how well that will work...maybe I should use my Steam Deck instead?
What I found very useful on the steam deck was the gamepad mapping. Usually, you need some third party software to map between gamepad inputs and the keyboard (and especially the mouse). SteamOS has that emulation built in natively. I still found the steam deck controls to be slightly fidgety compared to regular keyboard+mouse controls, but that could just be me (I've only had the device for a few days and I have yet to integrate the trackpad into the control layout).

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last couple of days i felt like playing some retro late 90s/early 2000s 3D RPG that i hadn't played before, so i went to MobyGames and started looking for RPGs released on Windows between 1997 and 2003. Among the obvious results (Morrowind, Gothic, etc) - which i've played before - i saw Might & Magic IX. So i thought, what the hell, let's try it (i already bought it many years ago from GOG together with all the other M&M games).

Note that i never even touched the game before, i only heard that it had some troubled development, it was released in a buggy state and it wasn't as well received as the previous titles but beyond that i had no idea.

I tried the GOG version (which apparently has some community patch already preapplied) and aside from being locked at 800x600 (which i upscale via Gamescope) the only issues i had running it was that i had to lock the FPS at 60 to avoid the game's physics breaking and i had to use a "wrapper" dinput.dll to fix a jumpy mouse problem (i remember this issue with other early LithTech games).

Anyway, i've only played a few hours so i can't judge if the game is good or bad yet, it does feel a bit different from previous M&M games in that it doesn't have the "wackyness" of either M&M3 or M&M6 (the two M&M games i've played the most by far) and the large hordes of easily dispatched enemies have been replaced with smaller numbers of tougher enemies (also those mosquitoes -or whatever they are- are fucking annoying) and there is barely any feedback when attacking someone - they just die after a bit. I don't mind the monsters (mosquitoes aside) but while there writing is still somewhat tongue-in-cheek, the tone feels different.

However one thing that did stand out to me was the visuals:

g2xe1fk.jpg

Now, as i wrote, i've only played for a bit so things might start looking better later, but for a game released in 2002 it looks like some Quake 1 mod from the midlate 90s. I actually think it looks worse than the previous Might and Magic games with the only difference being the use of 3D models for the characters (which weren't that great but that was on the artists) - but the previous M&M engine could already display static 3D models and i remember even in M&M6 there were 3D structures and dungeons, so i wonder if they could have been served better by expanding their own engine to add support for 3D character models instead of getting LithTech (which they didn't even make good use of, even the first iteration of the engine could do better visuals and judging from the skeletal animated models, this is a later revision - probably based on the version Monolith used for NOLF).

Anyway, that's my first impressions, i don't think i'll finish the game, probaby play around for a bit until i get bored :-P, but i was surprised by how it looked especially since from a quick search i've seen a few quotes from the time (e.g. IGN) mentioning how M&M9 looked better than its predecessors.

ShiningSoldier

Educated
I finished M&M9 4 times, I think. This is not the best Might & Magic game (the best is MM7 definitely), but it has some really interesting dungeons. For exaample, Chasm of the Dead with a literal huge freaking chasm in the middle. Or the Verhoffin Ruins - you can enter it with your 1 lvl characters and get your ass beaten by the high-level ghosts, but also loot a few chests with good equipment. Or the process of becoming a lich - a quest with multiple stages, where you have to travel around the world, find the instructions and finally run a giant machine that transforms your party member into an undead. Much cooler than becoming a lich in the previous games.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah my understanding (from the little i played) is that the game's main issues are that it is janky and somewhat unfinished but that stems more from using new tech while being pressured by the publisher to release the game before it was done than the dev team phoning it in and not wanting to make a good game. I guess the unofficial patch helps with the janky bit a little.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Yeah my understanding (from the little i played) is that the game's main issues are that it is janky and somewhat unfinished
Wait 'till you have to run around town looking for that one "generic human sprite" skill teacher who looks just like any other "generic human sprite" villager.
The game is still playable though, but a definite downgrade frome the previous ones. These crappy paper dolls and microscopic item icons. :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom