Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 215 28.8%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 130 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

UndeadHalfOrc

Educated
I have a simple question for folks who played MM9 because they liked MM6-7-8, BUT have not played any of the first five games:

WHY?

ShiningSoldier

Educated
I have a simple question for folks who played MM9 because they liked MM6-7-8, BUT have not played any of the first five games:

WHY?
I don't like the gameplay loop of the first 5 games. It's basically just endless battles with monsters in the tile-based world. That's why I also don't like the 6 game - same hordes of monsters in boring corridors, again and again, but this time with free movement.
P.S. also thee ninth game has the best music in the series.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Might & Magic: Book One is one the greatest games ever made. It's in my top 3 for sure, and I only first played/completed it a few years ago. The sense of exploration and adventure is unreal, it's truly nonlinear, and it's really not very difficult at all once you figure it out. The Where Are We? (https://www.eskimo.com/~edv/lockscroll/WhereAreWe/) mapping tool makes it a breeze to play if you don't want to get out the graph paper, and it also makes some good UI and QoL additions:

Screenshot-Main.png

You can customize the layout to display less information of course, this is just what the tool looks like with everything turned on. It also works for a bunch of other games:
  • Might & Magic 1-5
  • Wizardry 1-5
  • The Bard's Tale 1-3

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The first two are two archaic for me, but i've beaten 3-5
One is also just too archaic for me (and I like old DOS games). 2 and above are all good. Very fun.
Me too. I really loved M&M World of Xeen despite never completing the Darkside of Xeen. But the first ones is too "archaic" for me. I can enjoy most of 90s RPGs but very few games from 80s... The 3 I will probably play but not 2 and 1.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The first two are two archaic for me, but i've beaten 3-5
One is also just too archaic for me (and I like old DOS games). 2 and above are all good. Very fun.
Me too. I really loved M&M World of Xeen despite never completing the Darkside of Xeen. But the first ones is too "archaic" for me. I can enjoy most of 90s RPGs but very few games from 80s... The 3 I will probably play but not 2 and 1.
MM3 is phenomenal. It does not feel like a game from 1991. You really should try it at least once.

BruceVC

Magister
Might & Magic: Book One is one the greatest games ever made. It's in my top 3 for sure, and I only first played/completed it a few years ago. The sense of exploration and adventure is unreal, it's truly nonlinear, and it's really not very difficult at all once you figure it out. The Where Are We? (https://www.eskimo.com/~edv/lockscroll/WhereAreWe/) mapping tool makes it a breeze to play if you don't want to get out the graph paper, and it also makes some good UI and QoL additions:

Screenshot-Main.png

You can customize the layout to display less information of course, this is just what the tool looks like with everything turned on. It also works for a bunch of other games:
  • Might & Magic 1-5
  • Wizardry 1-5
  • The Bard's Tale 1-3
That does look very useful, its the type of tool I will use when I play M&M1 :incline:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After playing for a few more hours i realized the tone and writing is as goofy/hammy as ever (the LARP-ish voice acting and dialog lines help too), i guess i misunderstood the game's tone from the first impression the visuals gave me. I have barely seen a single quest that takes itself seriously so far :-P

The portraits, however, look less goofy than MM7 and 8

The portrait 3D models look very good IMO which make me wonder how the in-game models are so low-fi even for the standards of its release.

My guess is a combination of the older games being much less accessible and not everyone liking tile-based motion. Personally the M&M games were some of the first games i tried to play with tile-based motion and couldn't get used to them - while MM3 and MM6 are the games i played the most in the series, i actually played MM6 years before MM3 because i had a hard time getting used to the instant view switch in MM3, especially when turning around.

Weirdly enough it didn't bother me as much in games like Wizardry or MM1 due to the overly abstract graphics, but when i first tried *those* games i wasn't into manual mapping at all (which is probably another reason people do not play MM1).

Nowadays i can play such games just fine but i still prefer there to be some form of a transition animation for steps (be it zooming+sliding or even better, using real 3D) as it makes easier for my brain to keep track of where i am / looking at.

grimer

Learned
the previous games also didn't have a proper skill system which made character development really basic and boring

Impressive Organ

Educated
Started MM1 with the automap mod a few days ago. I like it a lot. All the elements of the later games are there, just in a much more primitive form. I really love this whole series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom