Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

tormund

Arcane
...so you will be completely safe and you won't encounter any more monsters in that area (which kinds of removes the tension IMO, but that's clearly the way they designed the game).

D44M: Now with Safe Spaces.

so it's the serious sam approach?
They went for same take on Painkiller like design like that of Shadow Warrior reboot, and it looks like BethDoom is even worse at hiding the fact that encounters are arena based.

But hey, good news is that sometimes you have to backtrack to other side of the c̶o̶r̶r̶i̶d̶o̶r̶ level and that you have side rooms every now and then. Even more of Shadow Warrior reboot's "tru old school" design.

BTW, all this reminds me of this GZDoom partial conversion that played like crap but was popular for a while due to its visuals

Check out that entire map and tell me that BethDoom doesn't look like fusion of that and Brtöal Dhoom.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Please stop saying Bethesda. It's id Software, Bethesda is the publisher. You know, the same publisher of the excellent Dishonored and the shitty TES/Fallout 4.
I know this, but since id is just a former shell of itself, I think the whole company is just run by the suits of Bethesda instead

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
How do you spot a shitty shooter from miles away?

It has a shitty sounding, shitty looking, shitty functioning shitty shotgun made of cardboard. You can call this the Darth Roxor Golden Rule Of Shooters - I've never been let down by it before. If you don't trust me, you can go ahead and try applying it yourself, you'll see very quickly that I'm right.

Therefore, I hereby officially deem d44m a shitty shooter (as if that wasn't obvious yet).

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Please stop saying Bethesda. It's id Software, Bethesda is the publisher. You know, the same publisher of the excellent Dishonored and the shitty TES/Fallout 4.
I know this, but since id is just a former shell of itself, I think the whole company is just run by the suits of Bethesda instead

By that logic then Arkane must also be a shell run by the Bethesda suits. Guess what? It's not. It's just that id Soft sucks and Arkane doesn't.

id Soft was already shit before they were acquired by Bethesda. I get the emotion attached to this legendary studio. Doom, Quake.... and then all downhill from there.

GrainWetski

Arcane
How do you spot a shitty shooter from miles away?

It has a shitty sounding, shitty looking, shitty functioning shitty shotgun made of cardboard. You can call this the Darth Roxor Golden Rule Of Shooters - I've never been let down by it before. If you don't trust me, you can go ahead and try applying it yourself, you'll see very quickly that I'm right.

Therefore, I hereby officially deem d44m a shitty shooter (as if that wasn't obvious yet).
I have a much easier way.

They're showing it off with gamepads? Shitty FPS confirmed.

lightbane

Arcane
Lel, this was even more boring than what I had expected. And the shotgun's ammo capacity is even worse than Half Life 2. Seriously, only 20 shots maximum, wtf? And yet, if I interpreted it correctly, the D44mGuy seems to have infinite grenades with a cool-down limitation (???). Not that it matters anyway, since the game practically forces you to use weak weaponry in order to constantly do AWESOME EXECUTIONS!, since ammo/health pickups seem to be scarce.

To tell you the truth as soon I heard there would be no reloading, I expected the insanely low ammo capacity like the evil within had, since it's obvious as fuck they don't nobody knows how to balance a fps without using a weapon two limit.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
I dont get why you even care, this has nothing to do with doom, you could play doom with the shotgun only -no other gun needed, this is btw
another great way to identify a decent shooter.

The shotgun test:
Can you play the whole game with it without using anything else?
Yes = Decent Game, No = Shit Game

tormund

Arcane
Lel, this was even more boring than what I had expected. And the shotgun's ammo capacity is even worse than Half Life 2. Seriously, only 20 shots maximum, wtf? And yet, if I interpreted it correctly, the D44mGuy seems to have infinite grenades with a cool-down limitation (???). Not that it matters anyway, since the game practically forces you to use weak weaponry in order to constantly do AWESOME EXECUTIONS!, since ammo/health pickups seem to be scarce.
It's even worse than that, since game also features (again similar to Shadow Warrior reboot) upgrade system for character and weapons, and number of upgrade points you can get is tied to your style rating... and that rating is apparently primarily tied to performing executions.

They were so proud of their BD like executions, that they "balanced" the game around them though and through.:D

Durandal

Arcane
1462886787249-0.png

1462886787316-2.png

tormund

Arcane
Man I want to believe how that guy is trying to mess with their heads... but that word has been so overused by journos, and often in connection with gamers' dislike and negativity towards some game or dev, that I wouldn't be surprised if "misogyny" took the same meaning as general dislike towards some game in the heads of some of gaming's average joes.

In Doom, the marks of a good player are situational awareness, positioning, and knowing which weapon to use. Scoring in first-person shooters isn't always that great, so if you were to implement a scoring system which isn't just an endurance test, you could either score the player on the time it took to complete a level or just add a bunch of new mechanics to add some new challenge to regular play. SHMUPs do this by having score systems based around grazing, point-blanking, chaining etc. while shooting and dodging bullets, and Demonsteele has a meter which fills depending on how quickly you kill shit, which fits with the flow since Demonsteele is all about GOING FAST. So what nuDoom apparently tries to do for scoring, is to grade the player for walking up to monsters while they are almost dead, and then execute them with a gory takedown. From what I've seen, Glory Kills are not a flow-breaker as I originally thought. But having a scoring system which revolves AROUND Glory Kills is a huge mistake. Being able to Glory Kill is nice every now and then, but having to constantly watch out to not kill an enemy before you can Glory Kill it, especially once the size of enemy groups increases, might become a huge pain. The game would become less about crowd control, but more about flow-breaking meta bullshit instead. If anything, you should be ranked for how well you remain in the flow (e.g. chaining) instead of how many Glory Kills you can execute. Chaining would fit nuDoom than the original more considering the arena level design of enemies randomly spawning around you in an enclosed area, and there being no 'dead time' thanks to arena level design, unlike old-school level design where you aren't always hardlocked into an encounter.

DOOM actually has a lot in common with bullet hells/SHMUPs. It would be interesting to see a WAD that basically transplanted in one of their scoring systems. It would massively change the way the game was played, but I think it would have some interesting gameplay behind it.

Durandal

Arcane
In Doom, the marks of a good player are situational awareness, positioning, and knowing which weapon to use. Scoring in first-person shooters isn't always that great, so if you were to implement a scoring system which isn't just an endurance test, you could either score the player on the time it took to complete a level or just add a bunch of new mechanics to add some new challenge to regular play. SHMUPs do this by having score systems based around grazing, point-blanking, chaining etc. while shooting and dodging bullets, and Demonsteele has a meter which fills depending on how quickly you kill shit, which fits with the flow since Demonsteele is all about GOING FAST. So what nuDoom apparently tries to do for scoring, is to grade the player for walking up to monsters while they are almost dead, and then execute them with a gory takedown. From what I've seen, Glory Kills are not a flow-breaker as I originally thought. But having a scoring system which revolves AROUND Glory Kills is a huge mistake. Being able to Glory Kill is nice every now and then, but having to constantly watch out to not kill an enemy before you can Glory Kill it, especially once the size of enemy groups increases, might become a huge pain. The game would become less about crowd control, but more about flow-breaking meta bullshit instead. If anything, you should be ranked for how well you remain in the flow (e.g. chaining) instead of how many Glory Kills you can execute. Chaining would fit nuDoom than the original more considering the arena level design of enemies randomly spawning around you in an enclosed area, and there being no 'dead time' thanks to arena level design, unlike old-school level design where you aren't always hardlocked into an encounter.

DOOM actually has a lot in common with bullet hells/SHMUPs. It would be interesting to see a WAD that basically transplanted in one of their scoring systems. It would massively change the way the game was played, but I think it would have some interesting gameplay behind it.
There is a Doom Touhou WAD, but it's fairly meh. I don't even know how scoring in Demonsteele works, and it's not really explained because nobody plays Doom for score.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I played Alien Rage (and BullStorm for that matter earlier).
It have something in common with Bulletstorm, namely engine and decrypted config files. And skillshots.
Yes the skillshot system is way poorer than Bulletstorm yet it's still better than D44mp, where it's limited to melee finishers. This is the proof that people behind D4 have no idea about design, their job and else. They only wear ID skin.
Nothing new under the sun.

To be honest I think this skill shit would fit better in Duke Nukem instead of d44m, with Duke's health bar in DNF being literally his ego, and being a celebrity in game. It would be very easy to visualize for duke to play it up for his fans/viewers.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
For the record bethesda did not give out many review copies for Wolfenstein either, plus there were cases of press copies of Fallout 4 leaking footage everywhere. I'm not saying it's not them showing a lack of confidence in the game (which is also highly likely) just saying it could go either way.

Another person got the game early (https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4itxlm/got_doom_early_doom_is_cool/)

They note that movement speed has been increased since the Beta

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom