Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News The New Obsidian: Josh Sawyer promoted to studio Design Director role

Sizzle

Arcane
With the exception of Gann, I can't think of a single occasion where Avellone dropping in to do a character or area here or there resulted in something good, and even where it would have been fantastic in isolation it didn't mesh with the surrounding game (New Reno).

He also did Kaelyn the Dove. For PoE he did Durance and Grieving Mother, both of which, though edited from his original vision, add a lot to the game (although they're so much better than the rest of the NPCs it's kinda jarring, so I get your point).
He also wrote Cass for Fallout: New Vegas, who isn't at all out of place as an NPC.

DarkArcher

Educated
This really shouldn't surprise anybody. Although, it might not be what we all hope for.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
If I really wanted to convince anybody, I would add to my post that I also think Josh has put his winking and nodding into practice in some of the work he's done for the PoE expansion and post-release patches. But I'm mostly just having fun here.
I think it's just recognizing the value of those things such as immunities, unique items and combat mobility in the type of game that PoE is, after experimenting without them on the base game.

It's not some "I cared about you guys all along" salute and ride into the sunset.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Don't be mean, Codex. I like Josh and he at least shows signs of not taking himself too seriously. I'm sure his iron will will drive Obsidian to bankruptcy greatness.

Bumvelcrow (vegan cyclist with tattoos)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I like Josh and he at least shows signs of not taking himself too seriously
I think not taking himself too seriously is the problem with him. He lacks the passion of someone like MCA that works for free just to work on something different.

Few posts ago on this thread you had him being quoted he'd rather do something other than game design but he's not good at anything else and too old to get education and he oughta work to pay his parents mortgage. That's just weird.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It has revealed its True Face. How long will we suffer this creature to walk the earth?

BvBaAw.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
This. This is what I mean. You hate the game so much, you even consider Amber's pathetic excuse for writing superior to it.

Right... so some guy says everything about one game is better than another game, but you disagree because you think there's one thing that isn't better so the conclusion is that you are right and he's wrong.

If I really wanted to convince anybody, I would add to my post that I also think Josh has put his winking and nodding into practice in some of the work he's done for the PoE expansion and post-release patches.

lulz, yeah, you're going to convince about as many people as Roguey does by posting random quotes. Here's a hint: just quoting random shit isn't an argument or convincing in any way.
In fact, the more Sawyer quotes you or your love, Roguey will post, the more people you'll get to hate him.
But perhaps that's actually your ultimate goal. :M

So this means Sawyer will spend the rest of his life at boring meetings, having too many distracting responsibilities to properly work on game design as Avellone had? His influences on games will fade? And in the end he will feel so miserable, he will quit? I am all for it!

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't give a fuck about Sawyer's title. If he and Obsidian can create games I care to play in the future, good; if not, too bad, but it wouldn't be the first time.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So this means Sawyer will spend the rest of his life at boring meetings, having too many distracting responsibilities to properly work on game design as Avellone had? His influences on games will fade? And in the end he will feel so miserable, he will quit? I am all for it!
And then he will go to Larian to bring balance to the Banalce!

Sizzle

Arcane
This. This is what I mean. You hate the game so much, you even consider Amber's pathetic excuse for writing superior to it.

Right... so some guy says everything about one game is better than another game, but you disagree because you think there's one thing that isn't better so the conclusion is that you are right and he's wrong.

Never said that. What I did say that while there are plenty of things one could (and should) criticize about PoE, saying that even the writing in it is inferior to SoD, a game universally panned for its shit writing, is going a bit too far.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Never said that. What I did say that while there are plenty of things one could (and should) criticize about PoE, saying that even the writing in it is inferior to SoD, a game universally panned for its shit writing, is going a bit too far.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfEMAO0W4AA0N1u.jpg:large

Some quality writing right there. The fags that are frothing at the mouth over Sawyers promotion just shat up their collective backs.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Well deserved and smart move by Fergie. Sawyer seems to be the only guy at the studio who can get things done on schedule and within budget.

jungl

Augur
so why do people deslike this guy besides nostalgia and meme reasons?

jungl

Augur
Pillars of Mediocrity mostly[/QUOTE]

It was equivalent to original baldurs gate in entertainment. People have too high expectations from kickstarter games. I have yet to play one that blows my mind. I recently installed the baldur gate expansion then uninstalled because how basic the combat is compared to pillars.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
news that some Codexers will find less welcome
No! Who would those people be? :lol:

the Codex, a forum where a non-trivial percentage of the userbase would probably physically assault him
Baseless insinuations!
readImage

If I really wanted to convince anybody, I would add to my post that I also think Josh has put his winking and nodding into practice in some of the work he's done for the PoE expansion and post-release patches. But I'm mostly just having fun here.
Ahem?
Anyway, what would that winking and nodding be? If you mean the addition of hard counters, I think he just saw reason, I doubt he pays much attention to feedback from the codex. If I want to get something through to Obsidian, I use their forums. Discussions with fanboys trying to justify the "party line" without having a clue why the party line is right, are much more fun anyway :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom