Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News The New Obsidian: Josh Sawyer promoted to studio Design Director role

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Rather Sawyer than Gaider. Rather Sawyer than Laidlaw. Rather Sawyer than Todd Howard or fucking Hines. Rather Sawyer than Trent Oster or fucking Amber.

Josh Sawyer has more talent in his left testicle than all those people combined.

Perkel

Arcane
Good move imo. He can help designers with his good skills for creation of lore and other stuff like that meanwhile he will leave alone nitty bitty balancing in games to people like Tim.

Blackstaff

Arbiter
If it dilutes its role in the company in the same way it did for Avellone and its creative director role, that could be a good thing all things considered :positive:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Recent Sawyer post on Something Awful: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...06905&pagenumber=818&perpage=40#post458360847

For a variety of reasons, it has been difficult to find dedicated system designers. I was the only system designer on Icewind Dale I & II and Fallout: New Vegas as well. Matt Sheets did junior system design work on the White March, which was a great help to me -- in part because in addition to the system design, I was responsible for the majority of non-programming system implementation, maintenance, and bug fixing.

In his new role, Josh will be in a position to address this problem.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
If it dilutes its role in the company in the same way it did for Avellone and its creative director role, that could be a good thing all things considered :positive:

I think Avellone was just too much of a pussy bitch to exert his will on others. He let himself be slowly forced out, after all. Sawyer's autistic and stubborn faith in his own designs will see them reign supreme over all who dwell in the Obsidian lands.

Moink

Cipher
They should've put him in finance, that way he can balance as much as he likes.

Trashos

Arcane
After FNV and PoE, I find this promotion well-deserved. Congratulations, Josh!

Of course, I retain the right to bitch about your work whenever I feel like it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Rather Sawyer than Gaider. Rather Sawyer than Laidlaw. Rather Sawyer than Todd Howard or fucking Hines. Rather Sawyer than Trent Oster or fucking Amber.

Josh Sawyer has more talent in his left testicle than all those people combined.
I am sorry to burst your bubble but SoD has better combat, AI and encounter design that Sawyer designed PoE.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
giphy.gif

Sizzle

Arcane

I am sorry to burst your bubble but SoD has better combat, AI and encounter design that Sawyer designed PoE.

Considering PoE was made & designed from scratch, while SoD was made from a very (arguably THE most) well known ruleset, from a game that's been modded to hell and back - you find that surprising?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

None of the people I mentioned had anything to do with SoD encounter design. If someone's in a bubble, it's you babe.

Besides SoD is a BG1 mod. Who the hell cares about that shit.

Thonius

Arcane
Avellone was/is a dreamer, Josh is more like engineer. So while Avelone dreamed about being lead(or not) Josh just did it.
Oh and BG SoD argument is retarded since it uses systems that was build by other dev. Beamdog did not code any systems.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Common, those cherry picked modern retards compared to Sawyer speak more of the mediocrity of Sawyer than anything.

Sizzle

Arcane
Besides SoD is a BG1 mod. Who the hell cares about that shit.
When a mod is seriously better than a standalone game in all regards, there's a hilarious problem there.

Especially in the writing.:retarded:

I mean, I understand that hating on PoE like it is the RPG antichrist is obligatory for some of you, but c'mon, it's not like there isn't enough stuff about it to genuinely crticize, you don't have to go overboard like this.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Lol. First the news about Boyarsky to get us excited, and now this... Well trolled, old friends.

At least Tranny will be good.... right?

it wont.. go fuckurself

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Common, those cherry picked modern retards compared to Sawyer speak more of the mediocrity of Sawyer than anything.

It speaks about Obsidian and its fandom quite a lot: mediocrity is applauded because hey, at least it's not always utter shit.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Josh Sawyer new Balancer-In-Chief

qZ4ymP8.jpg

There goes fun...

:whatisfun:

True,but this is just like saying a movie is better than the Star Wars prequels,not exactly a huge accomplishment

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom