Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News The New Obsidian: Josh Sawyer promoted to studio Design Director role

Space Insect

Arcane
Maybe now Josh will have the power to hire Roguey and then she will have something better to do than shill him on the Codex all day.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hey retards, Roguey turned coat on Josh shortly after PoE's release.

It's worth noting however that Roguey's standards for a "perfect RPG" are impossibly high, and anyone with any sense knew that would happen.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
sawyer: we need to clear the design space right now and replace tribal knowledge with new risk-friendly animal instinct

boyarsky: *whispering to tim cain* the fuck is this idiot talking about

cain: just keep your head down, man, we work here another few months and we've got the money to restart troika

sawyer: hey what are you saying *voice cracks* back there!

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

It's worth noting however that Roguey's standards for a "perfect RPG" are impossibly high, and anyone with any sense knew that would happen.
She is yet to play the damn game.

((inb4 flipflop flipflop))

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
I'm p. sure he can do better than PoE. If you read his posts you understand that PoE isn't a game he made based on what he thinks is ideal but based on the IE romp but for modern audiences.
But wasn't this the "SMD" RPG from Joshua? Are the rats abandoning ship?
Suck My Dick RPG?

Yeah. I thought he was running the show and all. Wanted to make this perfect RPG. So now the story's that this was an homage all along, and 'no, not my original, ultimate, mega final form'?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
That had been the story all along, but it soon became very apparent that PoE was his personal pet project and that he meant to correct all the "mistakes" of his predecessors.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
His pefect CRPG would probably look nothing like this.

That had been the story all along, but it soon became very apparent that PoE was his personal pet project and that he meant to correct all the "mistakes" of his predecessors.
It's more like he got lead on a D&D-esque project so he saw fit to show the world how to fix the degeneracy typical of those games.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
By adding/subtracting exactly what? :lol:
Isn't it evident on PoE?

No hard counters
Limited hard CC
All classes equally useful with similar power curve
Choice of more active or more passive gameplay for martial classes
No super duper magical items that require metagaming knowledge
No trap character options
All attributes useful for everyone, just varying in usefulness based on build
No need to plan builds ahead, feats and powers have very soft requirements if any
Stamina mechanic to prevent instadeath reloads
No inventory management
etc

He backpedalled on a lot of those things with patches/expansion

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

My views evolved into Josh as RPG Moses instead of RPG Messiah http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-expansion-thread.100006/page-23#post-4045458 http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...eph-on-arcanum-etc.103950/page-3#post-4166465 http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...bout-pillars-of-eternity.102386/#post-4093963

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where comes this idea of Roguey as somebody with impossibly high standards? Roguey liked Wasteland 2 a lot and seems to enjoy playing almost every traditional and not-so-traditional party-based RPG.

It's more accurate to say that he's aware of the existence of high standards (and uses them to troll people) but doesn't actually apply them to his own enjoyment.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dwarfs seems pretty "weird-ass", Disney notwithstanding.

That was working with someone else's IP and Kevin Saunders was the lead with Josh as just the systems designer. Doesn't really seem like a "I can do whatever I want and nobody cares" situation.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Where comes this idea of Roguey as somebody with impossibly high standards? Roguey liked Wasteland 2 a lot and seems to enjoy playing almost every traditional and not-so-traditional party-based RPG.

It's more accurate to say that he's aware of the existence of high standards (and uses them to troll people) but doesn't actually apply them to his own enjoyment.

It's buried deep in the old PoE threads.

Roguey was also ragging on Wasteland 2 for months. If all that's true then he's resorted to spewing whatever gibberish springs to mind from moment to moment, which is okay with me because I lost interest many months ago. I see where the "flip-flopping" comment comes from now, but I don't feel trolled so much as disinclined to give a damn.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also, Roguey was ragging on Wasteland 2 for months. If all that's true then he's resorted to spewing whatever gibberish springs to mind from moment to moment, which is okay with me because I lost interest many months ago.

My tune (almost) always changes after I've actually played the thing I've been criticizing http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...e-53-beta-released.106424/page-9#post-4344819

This wasn't quite the heel-turn as D:OS though which somehow ended up as one of the best combat crawls ever.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I doubt this means much since I highly doubt anyone in the gaming world would have the audacity to question any design decisions Tim Cain makes or would make. And who cares what this means for console games - as long as Mr. Cain keeps making crpgs and being fucking awesome in general he probably is allowed free reign. And if not, that is certainly how it should be.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I doubt this means much since I highly doubt anyone in the gaming world would have the audacity to question any design decisions Tim Cain makes or would make. And who cares what this means for console games - as long as Mr. Cain keeps making crpgs and being fucking awesome in general he probably is allowed free reign. And if not, that is certainly how it should be.
All Tim Cain has worked there so far are crafting/stronghold shit for PoE and one console game.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Ok but Wasteland 2 is garbage. For all people hate on PoE it's a superior game on every level.

How so? Character building? Combat? Skill usage in the world? WL2 DC put it 100% squarely in the top 10 crpgs of all time. Anyone who says differently is more than likely a console fan or someone who enjoys watching other people play video games and has no opinion worth considering. PoE does nothing blatantly wrong, but the chardev and stats, skills and RTwP combat just isn't on par with the likes of WL2, ToEE, etc. I think it is between Arcanum, which gets a lot of credit for most likely being forced into a RTwP system w/ hybrid TB and the very choice heavy chargen and dev and otherwise brilliant game, and the Dark Suns, which are hampered not only by release date but the limits of the AD&D mechanics.

Roqua

Prospernaut
All Tim Cain has worked there so far are crafting/stronghold shit for PoE and one console game.

Your mother is a console game. She is so stupid she sits on the TV and watches the couch. All he did? Anything he does is gold. Just people don't realize it until decades later when everything else is so shitty even people with shitty taste have to concede that I was right. It is beyond me how Wildstar did not bury WoW and is actually not super popular. The mind boggles. It literally has way better everything than WoW, but WoW is simple enough for retarded kids since they removed every possible chardev choice and everything is the exact same so appeals to stupids and little children.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ok but Wasteland 2 is garbage. For all people hate on PoE it's a superior game on every level.

Sounds like good news for me. So far every RPG I've backed through Kickstarter has met or exceeded expectations (I expected to be disappointed by Dead State).

Ninjerk

Arcane
sawyer: we need to clear the design space right now and replace tribal knowledge with new risk-friendly animal instinct

boyarsky: *whispering to tim cain* the fuck is this idiot talking about

cain: just keep your head down, man, we work here another few months and we've got the money to restart troika

sawyer: hey what are you saying *voice cracks* back there!
*boyarsky, who has stack of papers for some reason, shuffles stack of papers on his desk*

boyarksy: hey tim, i brought these papers so we can look busy.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Sounds like good news for me. So far every RPG I've backed through Kickstarter has met or exceeded expectations (I expected to be disappointed by Dead State).
Can't say I expected much but "eastern european shovelware from the mid 2000s"-tier was way below my expectations.

HatTrick

Scholar
Remember that one retarded review someone here made where he bitched that PoE didn't have trap options and that it's perfectly legit and awesome to fuck a dude over in the character creation screen?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom