Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News The New Obsidian: Josh Sawyer promoted to studio Design Director role

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Which review was that?

Fairfax

Arcane
So Sawyer going wild almost led Obsidian to bankruptcy? :lol:

Its cancellation had nothing to do with the state of the project.
How so? According to Feargus, Microsoft had a change of heart in a matter of weeks. Sounds like they saw a new build and weren't happy with it, because what else could've changed so thing so quickly?
The whole context doesn't support this notion either. Microsoft still doesn't have an exclusive RPG and they funded a lot of shitty exclusives that bombed. Right after Skyrim breaking records in the genre, The Witcher 2, and Obsidian itself making a huge hit, they decided it was better to have no RPG than fund Stormlands?

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
"An old school RPG from the makers of Planescape Torment, Fallout ans Icewind Dale will be a mediocre BG 1 clone." I don't remember this on the kickstarter page.

That would be witty, if you could find anywhere on the Kickstarter page the claim that PoE was going to be a BG2 clone. BG2 sucks. Rather a mediocre BG1 clone than anything like fucking BG2 (and SoD for that matter) and that's what was promised. Whether or not you or I find PoE "mediocre" is neither here nor there.

Yep, keep telling yourself that, if you repeat it enough times maybe it will come true!

Yah brah, cool story brah. Half of the butthurts claim it was a "mediocre" BG1 clone and not the BG2 clone which was never promised to them, while the other half apparently thinks it wasn't a BG1 clone at all. Get your story straight gaiz. Obsidian promised a BG1 clone and they delivered. Whether you like or not is just fucking irrelevant.

I do agree Defiance Bay is as lifeless as the average wilderness area of Baldur's Gate.

:flamesaw:

fake edit: people seem to have really unrealistic expectations to Kickstarter games.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Go take your diarrhea medicine before you die in tutorial.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Congrats to Josh on the promotion. I can see why Obsidian appreciates his work - F:NV and Pillars are really two of the only good games they've released since MotB. Based on how little involvement Avellone got to have in projects holding the CCO title, I wonder if this is an equally nominal role.

Unlike the majority of the codex who got trolled by Roguey into hating this guy with an unusual passion, I think he'll do fine in the role. But I wish they still had visionary writers like Avellone and Zeits because at the end of the day, that talent was the company's biggest strength.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Average RPG fan on the kickstarter era:
trashcan_bonfire.png

"That trash can looks cool brah.It is good for what it is if you see from this angle here"

HatTrick

Scholar
Which review was that?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9952

You have 6 stats, all influencing combat one way or another, which makes it really hard to make a character that doesn’t excel at combat (very thoughtful of Josh Sawyer – why should the player be punished for making mistakes?). Coincidentally, that’s where it all went horribly wrong and most issues with the game (from the lack of hard counters to steamrolling through the game using the same “tactics”) can be traced to this rather misguided design philosophy.
What a tard.

Mustawd

I am sorry to burst your bubble but SoD has better combat, AI and encounter design that Sawyer designed PoE.

None of the people I mentioned had anything to do with SoD encounter design. If someone's in a bubble, it's you babe.

Besides SoD is a BG1 mod. Who the hell cares about that shit.

Wait.....

Did you just call another man "babe"?

That has to definitely be an odd combination of words. Meh, I like it. It's creepy and gross, yet familiar. Like putting on a sock that I've jacked off into for the last 6 months and never bothered to wash it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So Sawyer going wild almost led Obsidian to bankruptcy? :lol:

Its cancellation had nothing to do with the state of the project.
How so? According to Feargus, Microsoft had a change of heart in a matter of weeks. Sounds like they saw a new build and weren't happy with it, because what else could've changed so thing so quickly?
The whole context doesn't support this notion either. Microsoft still doesn't have an exclusive RPG and they funded a lot of shitty exclusives that bombed. Right after Skyrim breaking records in the genre, The Witcher 2, and Obsidian itself making a huge hit, they decided it was better to have no RPG than fund Stormlands?

That actually points more to it having nothing to do with the state of the project, but Microsoft's market research deciding against pushing rpgs to the point of cutting their losses.

They already got burnt with jrpgs on XBOX360 after all.

A user named cat

Rather Sawyer than Gaider. Rather Sawyer than Laidlaw. Rather Sawyer than Todd Howard or fucking Hines. Rather Sawyer than Trent Oster or fucking Amber.

Josh Sawyer has more talent in his left testicle than all those people combined.
Rather Swen than Sawyer. Rather Styg than Sawyer. Rather Vault Dweller than Sawyer. Rather Pierre Begue than Sawyer. Rather Halford than Sawyer. Rather slow drying paint than Sawyer.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I think not taking himself too seriously is the problem with him. He lacks the passion of someone like MCA that works for free just to work on something different.

Few posts ago on this thread you had him being quoted he'd rather do something other than game design but he's not good at anything else and too old to get education and he oughta work to pay his parents mortgage. That's just weird.

That's just real life, man - he's good at systems design and project management (or at least his superiors think so), he's got financial commitments, and going to try to do something else is too big a risk. So long as you don't hate getting up each day it's easier and safer to keep doing what you're doing.

Prime Junta

Ok but Wasteland 2 is garbage. For all people hate on PoE it's a superior game on every level.

Sounds like good news for me. So far every RPG I've backed through Kickstarter has met or exceeded expectations (I expected to be disappointed by Dead State).

Ah, but is that because of the games, or because of your expectations?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have to think really hard about people here being literally mentally ill, or just having too much free time on their hands to spend days on whining about Sawyer's promotion like an idiot kid. You guys are the little 4-5 old kids who are just standing in one place stomping with their legs on the ground and throwing a tauntrum. WAAAAAAAAAAAA SAWYER WWAAAAAAAAA BALANCE WWAAAAAA NO OBSIDIAN SHIT WATTTTAAAA.

Prime Junta

I have to think really hard about people here being literally mentally ill, or just having too much free time on their hands to spend days on whining about Sawyer's promotion like an idiot kid. You guys are the little 4-5 old kids who are just standing in one place stomping with their legs on the ground and throwing a tauntrum. WAAAAAAAAAAAA SAWYER WWAAAAAAAAA BALANCE WWAAAAAA NO OBSIDIAN SHIT WATTTTAAAA.

Dogs like to howl with wolves.

all the other things people complain about on this forum are fine but PLEASE do not complain about this

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706905&pagenumber=824#post458881843

RPG Codex is currently weeping over Sawyer's ascension. But then again, RPG Codex is the kind of place where the average poster believes white genocide is a thing and thinks D&D Next is good so fuck em.

holy shit the mountain of salt at RPG Codex is amazing
emot-allears.gif

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...102247/page-429

Yo, Sawyer, perhaps if/when you have the next Kickstarter for PoE 2, you should not take money from or give a cameo to the site full of people who sincerely miss Hitler.

I have to be logged in for this link and there's no way I'm making an account

What, afraid of the site that features such enchanting threads with titles such as "Rapefugees invade Germania for tasty Merkel booty - natives kept in check with water cannon" or "Dindus Riot Because Kwa Kops Diddu Sumthin To Dindu Nuffin Who Dindu Nuffin But Point a Gun" or "How does the white genocide that's going on make you feel"? Guess you're not a real RPG gamer, you nerd.

At the height of the campaign against Siege of Dragonspear for including a trans character and giving Minsc an easter egg line referencing Gamergate I googled the Minsc line because I didn't manage to hear it throughout, at that time, around 20 hours of play.

Of course that ended up taking me to RPGCodex, because of course some Codexer had recorded playing the line in a file browser and uploaded it (I assume he also didn't manage to hear it in-game). Then I made the grave mistake of reading a bit of the thread it was posted in, and what I read was half outrage and half some other Codexer pestering everyone to vote in their "How far would you go with a Ladyboy" thread. Seriously, everyone. It took me half a page until I couldn't really tell if it was a joke anymore.

That's basically how it goes whenever I read even just a handful of Codex posts. Always kinda feels like stepping into dog shit three steps out the door.

One of the most active mods there is an Israeli, so...

RPG Codex is...uh... let's be kind and call it a spectrum.

Thinks the Codex is terrible, but has a 1+ year old account for reading the Politics forum, eh?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom