Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

hiver

I'm not sure reviews and journalism are the same thing.

Then you are/were in the wrong line of business. No offence, most video game journalists are.

A professional review is written by someone who at least tries to adhere to the basic journalistic principles. If you steer too far from them, it becomes just another "customer experience".

Though product reviews are always in the danger of being poisoned worthless.

But back to the original point, if someone says that reviews should be written without genre knowledge and without objective comparisons to the previous releases in the same niche... then fuck that guy. It doesn't matter how nice the new car model smells like or how good it felt like for you to sit in it, if it is mechanically inferior to the car released last year.

Why should it be any different with games?
Because when it comes to games and mass market - how the game makes you feel has become the defining characteristic.

Was it visceral, awesome, epic, thrilling, exciting... thats what counts as first day - first week sales.
Even wasteland 2, supposedly done by its backers preferences is now hyped based on amount of extreme emotional engagement. Let alone some real AAA games.

And when you count in that game "media sites" get revenue based on immediate emotional circle jerk reactions that become clicks and money from adds... well...

No Great Name

Arcane
A professional review is written by someone who at least tries to adhere to the basic journalistic principles. If you steer too far from them, it becomes just another "customer experience".
Yes. But, honesty, integrity and lack of undue bias are not necessarily what I would call exclusively journalistic principles. Furthermore, reviews are, effectively, subjective critique framed as purchase advise and/or entertainment for an audience. Given that, the idea of "objective reviews" is not just effectively unattainable, it's also basically pointless and probably not what most people want. The entire point of someone's job as a critic is that their opinion is considered more trustworthy than others', which is the height of subjectivity.
I agree with you here on every point except for when you said that objective reviews are unattainable. To me (and my preferred form of a game review as well), an objective review would be to objectively state all the things of a game as well as its pros and cons without making any conclusions or stating any opinions. Ideally, using this information, the reader would then be able to make whatever conclusion they wish to make but after thinking about it, you are most likely right in regards to the fact that this kind of review is not what most people want.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had a similar feeling of what happened to thief when they announced Prince of Persia sands of time. It was a reboot and I hated that idea. I didn't follow any development news at the time. It took me years to put aside my prejudices and play it, and now I love the sands of time trilogy of games, that has an ending in the 3rd game that mirror's the intro of the first, just like the thief trilogy.
What do you think about the 2008 re-reboot? I also enjoyed the Sands of Time trilogy, but I found the 2008 Prince of Persia so boring that I couldn't even finish the first level.

Heh, I've given up some time after beating up the first boss. As much as I like the new trilogy POP reboot was boring as hell. Tried three times to beat it, but it's impossible.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yes. But, honesty, integrity and lack of undue bias are not necessarily what I would call exclusively journalistic principles. Furthermore, reviews are, effectively, subjective critique framed as purchase advise and/or entertainment for an audience. Given that, the idea of "objective reviews" is not just effectively unattainable, it's also basically pointless and probably not what most people want. The entire point of someone's job as a critic is that their opinion is considered more trustworthy than others', which is the height of subjectivity.
I agree with you here on every point except for when you said that objective reviews are unattainable. To me (and my preferred form of a game review as well), an objective review would be to objectively state all the things of a game as well as its pros and cons without making any conclusions or stating any opinions. Ideally, using this information, the reader would then be able to make whatever conclusion they wish to make but after thinking about it, you are most likely right in regards to the fact that this kind of review is not what most people want.
Impossible, as proven by a hundres years of 'objective' as a goal in journalism.

aris

Arcane

I got a lot more interested in this game after I saw his take on the options menus. It seems like you can turn off pretty much everything that has been complained about. It seems insanely customizable.

Gord

Arcane
I got a lot more interested in this game after I saw his take on the options menus. It seems like you can turn off pretty much everything that has been complained about. It seems insanely customizable.

Are there also, e.g.
  • Remove lore-rape
  • enable non-context-sensitive jumping
  • disable annoying animations
  • turn on good story
options?

Also, since when do you work for Squeenix?

aris

Arcane
Is Thi4f going to be your new Diablo 3?
Nah, but I'm probably going to get it on a 75% steam sale.

Are there also, e.g.
  • Remove lore-rape
  • enable non-context-sensitive jumping
  • disable annoying animations
  • turn on good story
options?

Also, since when do you work for Squeenix?
Probably not, but I don't care, since I haven't played any of the previous thief games, which I won't either most likely in this life, since I have little interest for the genre.

Whiner

Augur

"If I don't like a genre,that genre must be changed into another genre of my liking.
I can't be bother to play games made for me,everything must be for me".
How low can game journalism go? Is there too low?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Do these people not realize what niches are? Yes, stealth is fun for people who enjoy that thing. What they're really asking is "why isn't the average mouthbreather born and raised on Call of Duty buying stealth games".

Name

Cipher

"If I don't like a genre,that genre must be changed into another genre of my liking.
I can't be bother to play games made for me,everything must be for me".
How low can game journalism go? Is there too low?

Is it anything new?

"If I don't like the world, the world must be changed into something of my liking.
I can't be bother to live in the life made for me, everything must be for me".

How low can human go? Is there too low?

Whiner

Augur
I can understand some kid going "No shooting - Wtf,sneaking is too slow",but these losers are in their 30's and 40's with profession "game critic".
I can get the SJW clickbait and paid reviews - easy money,but this is is not the arrogance of the human nature,just pure stupidity.
"I don't like RTS,maybe we can add first person in there."

Oesophagus

Arcane
That's art and you people are not mature enough to understand, which is why you also don't like the game.

Coyote

Arcane
I can understand some kid going "No shooting - Wtf,sneaking is too slow",but these losers are in their 30's and 40's with profession "game critic".

As far as I can tell, being a massive manchild is practically a prerequisite to becoming and remaining a professional game critic these days. Just look at the way many of them reacted to the whole Robert Florence/Lauren Wainwright debacle: closing ranks, guilt-tripping Florence for writing an article that made them look bad, and engaging in a massive circle-jerk in which they scorned any suggestion that maybe all of their ties with PR departments in the gaming industry and receipt of gifts and perks harms their credibility. (Not to mention that it all started when Wainwright allegedly threatened legal action against Eurogamer for posting quotes from her public Twitter account and pointing out how they called her integrity into question.) Or the way they jump to praise the latest emotionally engaging 2deep4u schlock regardless of how well it actually stands up under scrutiny because it allows them to claim that games are a mature art with all the respectability that goes along with that.

These people really want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to get paid to write vapid articles about their favorite hobby, schmooze up to their favorite developers with interviews that are advertisements in all but name, receive a constant stream of free consoles/games/paid trips/etc., and still be able to justify their profession as a respectable form of journalism/art criticism to their family and friends at the end of the day. They react to anything that threatens this with defensiveness, collective ridicule, and emotional appeals because they realize that they have no ground to stand on factually. It truly is an industry of full of adults who are self-conscious about never having grown up.

Last edited:

Telengard

Arcane
I adore this new trend. You can take a game and turn off a bunch of external mechanics, and then pretend you are playing a different game. Of course the internal mechanics* of the game won't in any way support your decision. And what you'll actually be doing is just adding a layer of brokenness to the game. But this way, the devs and reviewers and you can all say the game allows "old-school" gameplay. Now, without a complete redesign of the levels, it will never actually support that gameplay, just allow you to try a facsimile thereof. But everyone can now pretend really hard that there are actually multiple ways to play the game.

* Level complexity, level openness, sound interaction, AI's ability to react to Player's actions, available character interactions with the game world, enemy variety and complexity, etc.

argan

Augur
It's awesome how people meet the argument about piss-poor AI with "but look how bad the AI in Thief 1/2 was!!".

Divinity: Original Sin
man... if I ever see this stephane roy i would extract each one of his teeth. I would make him feel the immersion of me robbing his smile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom