Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

aris

Arcane
Now, without a complete redesign of the levels, it will never actually support that gameplay, just allow you to try a facsimile thereof.
Do you actually know this, or are you just projecting this out of your hate boner, and just basically guess-making?

Sonus

Educated
It's one of those things that is readily apparent once you get into modding, coding, and/or game design.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I agree with you here on every point except for when you said that objective reviews are unattainable. To me (and my preferred form of a game review as well), an objective review would be to objectively state all the things of a game as well as its pros and cons without making any conclusions or stating any opinions. Ideally, using this information, the reader would then be able to make whatever conclusion they wish to make but after thinking about it, you are most likely right in regards to the fact that this kind of review is not what most people want.
"Pros" and "cons" are in themselves value judgements and therefore inherently subjective.

Shralla

Educated
Saw somebody on Thief forum trying to say that a lack of jumping in games is not exactly heresy, and then cited Bionic Commando (the first of which didn't let you jump but gave you a grappling hook that could attach to ANYTHING. The 2009 version let you jump) and Grand Theft Auto (which has had jumping since the very first one) as examples. What are these people trying to get at? Cover shooters don't let you jump, and neither does Legend of Zelda. Other than that there's really no excuse, and I would't really consider those two to be very good excuses either.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
You cant jump in Pokemon. Pokemon sold a lot. Therefore, Thiaf shouldnt have jump mechanics either, so it will sell a lot. Problem, Shralla ?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It's awesome how people meet the argument about piss-poor AI with "but look how bad the AI in Thief 1/2 was!!".

I actually had someone tell me that the piss-poor AI was a callback to AI in Thief 1/2.

I swear, there is something really fishy with the lengths people go to to defend this atrocity.

Borelli

Arcane
Garrett's ability to jump freely is proportional to the game's ambition to be a good product and not a lame copycat.:dance:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Love how the dev team has Ass Creed, Far Cry and Tomb Raider all over their list of games worked on. Really says a lot.

No Great Name

Arcane
I agree with you here on every point except for when you said that objective reviews are unattainable. To me (and my preferred form of a game review as well), an objective review would be to objectively state all the things of a game as well as its pros and cons without making any conclusions or stating any opinions. Ideally, using this information, the reader would then be able to make whatever conclusion they wish to make but after thinking about it, you are most likely right in regards to the fact that this kind of review is not what most people want.
"Pros" and "cons" are in themselves value judgements and therefore inherently subjective.
For example, there are quite a few games out there that have the plot and the gameplay mechanics exist in separate vacuums, sometimes even contradicting each other. Would this not be considered a con? Would Planescape Torment be as praised if you were only told that The Nameless One cannot truly die as a part of the plot but when he dies during the game it's an immediate game over?

Eyeball

Arcane
You know, I was actually considering getting this game. But those sex scenes....Jesus.

I really dodged a bullet here. Thanks, gentlemen.

AngryKobold

Arcane

According to popular knowledge, tatoos on neck and palms mean:
a) having no job
b) having a job that pays no taxes
c) sucking taxes as a locator of institutions like prison or addiction recovery center

Good to know it can also mean being a hack working at Eidos Montreal.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Whenever I see a "professional" that is an unwashed, unshaven, tattooed freak, I know I can safely disregard them.

Boleskine

Arcane
Whenever I see a "professional" that is an unwashed, unshaven, tattooed freak, I know I can safely disregard them.
hqdefault.jpg

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Yes it is true we've let 27 people go today, unfortunately it's something that every major studio has to do sometimes in order to ensure you have the right set up for current and future projects. It's never a nice thing to do but we are genuinely trying to offer as much support as much as we can. We're trying to re-locate as many people as possible into other roles here or at our other studios and we've been in touch several studios in Montreal to arrange a career day for those affected by this. We're very thankful for all their hard work and we sincerely wish them well.

Sounds like they have purged a lot, if not most of the Thiaf team. I expect EM will now only have the Deus Ex team and have them work on both Thiaf and DX. If not have them just as the Deus Ex studio and nothing else.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sounds like they have purged a lot, if not most of the Thiaf team. I expect EM will now only have the Deus Ex team and have them work on both Thiaf and DX. If not have the just as the Deus Ex studio and nothing else.
I'm pretty sure it's going to become the Dues Ex studio like Infinitron predicted, and Thief will go back into the crypt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom