Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The new Wolfenstein is out

Wulfstand

Prophet
So yeah I've tried it, and so far it seems like a combination of CoD 4's action+ Bioshock's weapons upgrade.

Pretty fun so far, it has some annoying puzzles tho. I'll check back in later.

MetalCraze

Arcane
so far it seems like a combination of CoD 4's action+ Bioshock's weapons upgrade.
CoD4 has action? I thought it was about running from one checkpoint to another while infinitely respawning dumb bots battle it out between themselves.
But huh another shitty console shooter, who would've guessed.

Jaesun said:
SO it is SHIT? Just wondering....

Someone doesn't understand the difference between 'shit for a System Shock spiritual sequel' and 'shit for a corridor shooter that just happens to be set in the Bioshock universe'. Bioshock was quite decent at the latter, and taken as a straight-up no brain shooter, it was pretty good once they provided the patch to turn the retarded regeneration chambers off. Good sound, decent plot, 1 genuinely good character (that's one more than most shooters), some genuinely challenging and emergent fights once you turned the regeneration chambers off (seriously, the chambers completely hide this aspect of the game, so it's easy to miss - turn the chambers off at the options page, and THEN see how much more fun it is to try to set up for the Big Daddy fights with appropriate ammo/weapons, surroundings (trying to force him to cross enviro hazards), turrets etc). No regenerating health bullshit. Yeah the hacking minigame is retarded, but corridor shooters aren't exactly known for their great implementation of non-shooting abilities (agian, taking Bioshock as a corridor shooter rather than a DE / SS2 successor).

And at least it was a proper 3D shooter rather than the retarded cover system shooters of late that take you back to the old coin-op pedal-system railroad shooters.

Not that this stuff should be worthy of comment - it's pretty much the minimum requirements for a competent shooter, but it makes Bioshock one of the only competent corridor shooters in the past few years. Again, that doesn't make it a worthy successor to System Shock, but it isn't exaclty Halo either. Given that Wolfenstein has always been a shooter-series, rather than a hybrid game like the System Shock series, Bioshock wouldn't be a bad starting point.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Jaesun said:
SO it is SHIT? Just wondering....

Someone doesn't understand the difference between 'shit for a System Shock spiritual sequel' and 'shit for a corridor shooter that just happens to be set in the Bioshock universe'. Bioshock was quite decent at the latter, and taken as a straight-up no brain shooter, it was pretty good once they provided the patch to turn the retarded regeneration chambers off. Good sound, decent plot, 1 genuinely good character (that's one more than most shooters), some genuinely challenging and emergent fights once you turned the regeneration chambers off (seriously, the chambers completely hide this aspect of the game, so it's easy to miss - turn the chambers off at the options page, and THEN see how much more fun it is to try to set up for the Big Daddy fights with appropriate ammo/weapons, surroundings (trying to force him to cross enviro hazards), turrets etc). No regenerating health bullshit. Yeah the hacking minigame is retarded, but corridor shooters aren't exactly known for their great implementation of non-shooting abilities (agian, taking Bioshock as a corridor shooter rather than a DE / SS2 successor).

And at least it was a proper 3D shooter rather than the retarded cover system shooters of late that take you back to the old coin-op pedal-system railroad shooters.

Not that this stuff should be worthy of comment - it's pretty much the minimum requirements for a competent shooter, but it makes Bioshock one of the only competent corridor shooters in the past few years. Again, that doesn't make it a worthy successor to System Shock, but it isn't exaclty Halo either. Given that Wolfenstein has always been a shooter-series, rather than a hybrid game like the System Shock series, Bioshock wouldn't be a bad starting point.

Not this "it's good for what it is" shit again. Bioshock sucks. End of.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I thought BioShock was a pretty poor corridoor shooter, even taken on just its own merits. The first playthrough is alright because of the cool setting but that's just a smokescreen for the dull as dishwater gameplay.

Anyway, CoD4 style action? Bleugh.

baronjohn

Cipher
Wolf2 rocks. I've always wanted to play a jew with superpowers. I just wish germans spoke german.

Trithne

Erudite
Bioshock would've worked a shitton better if regen chambers cost Adam. Then you'd have to hoard the shit. It'd even make sense.

A user named cat

This game is way too damn consolized, but okay I guess. Really getting sick of this shit though, about to never touch an FPS port again. Checkpoint saving, health regen, overly polished feel, hand holding, console look... when will it stop? This is definitely no RTCW.

Zuluf

Scholar
this game is SHIT on all levels. Utter fucking crass. This wouldn't fucking pass as a fucking decent video game if you were a primitive race of multiheaded dicks with opposable thumbs and were discovering fire as we speak.

and i mean it. SHIT. CRAP. Played it for like 5 hours yesterday just to see the maximum level of appalled I could reach. It's like that thing Cleve was talking about.

Absolute, undeniable, maximized SHIT. Haven't you grown old of recycled console mechanics? This franchise vampire has got it all. Slow-motion, twin worlds overlapping, so-called purchase management (buying your weapons like you're in a fucking WalMart every time the game designers thought that the aspies who will actually buy this game would run out of ammo).

The FOV on the PC is absolute shite. Your average FPS player can confirm, it's like you're watching the game through a fucking telescope.And there's so much oversaturated coloring that burns your eyes in this goat vomit that I wonder who the fuck slipped LSD in my vodka.

I mean fuck's sake, you wouldn't see this much eye blasting if you were watching Japanese cartoons on fast-forward with a fucking interrogation lamp staring you in the retinae.

I hope this inexusable bowl of sheep diarrhoea gets shoved down Raven employee's throats.

Fuck me I just lost 5 more hours of my life getting raped by an LCD monitor.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Hmm, my brother is not removing it from the inventory as we speek.

Wolfenstein does an admirable job of rationing the technology so that you never get more of it at a time than you can reasonably handle. It accomplishes this via a clever (if somewhat far-fetched, given the plot) system whereby you collect weapons from downed enemies, and then upgrade them according to your desires, using funds received for completing missions or found in secret areas. Since funds are limited throughout the game, you'll need to choose which weapons you want to upgrade, and which upgrades make the most sense for your style of play. But be warned, some upgrades are pretty useless and you can only sell them back at 50% value, so choose the cup of a carpenter, my friends.

...Checkpoint saves...

The Veil: Toggle the Veil and you'll get an overlay on your view that makes it easier to see in the dark and turns everything green. Critically, it also makes you move faster. You can upgrade the Veil (and the other powers) at the black market (get it? "black" market?), eventually giving you the power to see and shoot through cover (using the Empower ability), block and reflect enemy bullets (using the Shield ability), and even slow down time (using the Mire ability).

All of these suck Veil energy from a reservoir you have, but the designers have liberally sprinkled Veil pools that will replenish this supply throughout every map. The upshot of this virtually unlimited pool of Veil juice is that you'll spend 90% of your time with the Veil enabled. And why not? You'll move faster, see in the dark, pinpoint hidden enemies, and be able to spot secret doors and treasures. You'll also need the Veil sight to spot enemy (especially enemy boss) weak points, which are highlighted red in the universal sign for "shoot me here, dumbass." Problem is, since there's really no advantage to being out of the Veil, this design element ends up making an otherwise visually impressive game look like it's being played on an old-school Apple monitor: green and black. I found myself dropping out of the Veil from time to time just give my eyes a break by admiring the colors on the corpses I'd just taken out.

1234931504682.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
This is the new shit - ridiculously easy shooters now have unlockables (or "skills" when it comes to certain "rpgs") that make them even easier.

Korgan

Arbiter
Sounds like someone at Raven heard all those jokes about Garret having +5 daggers and homing arrows in Thief 4 and decided to have a go at it. Guess RTCW would be too fucking hardcore on Easy these days, bla-bla.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Phantasmal said:
This game is way too damn consolized, but okay I guess. Really getting sick of this shit though, about to never touch an FPS port again. Checkpoint saving, health regen, overly polished feel, hand holding, console look... when will it stop? This is definitely no RTCW.

:evil:

MapMan

Arcane
The game is utter shit. Not worth your ratio(not to mention cash...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom