Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The NON-Steam Bargain Sale Mega Thread of Savings

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
King Arthur II is 85% off on Gamersgate and Company of Heroes Complete is 93% off, both great deals.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
King Arthur II is 85% off on Gamersgate and Company of Heroes Complete is 93% off, both great deals.

Yeah I picked up COH complete a month or two ago at this price. Unless you already have the superior King Arthur, I'd hold off on the KA2 deal though. It's without the Dead Legions expansion/DLC. KA1 complete is 8.99 itself and I picked up the King Arthur complete collection at FagStop with every KA game and DLC for $12 and of course that works out cheaper than getting each thing from GG.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
FEAR 3 is £2, worth it even for laughs?
Not many laughs to be found honestly. Mostly corridor open urban areas. It has the lowest horror quotient of all the Fear games and has overall worse graphics, the most boring weapons, terrible enemy variety, plain vanilla mook AI. As you progress the areas get more and more devastated in waves of psychic fire with alma screaming from the sky at everything because she's having birth pains. Terrible hallucination scenes too, they still haven't stopped the original trilogy for rooms just plain warping away wall by wall into darkness

The campaign is also 5 hours long. And finally, health regen.

Necrovision: Lost Company for £2 as well, great deal if it's anything like the main game.
I've been interested in necrovision for a while but it has a terrible metacritic rating compared to serious sam and original painkiller games, any reason for that?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
I've been interested in necrovision for a while but it has a terrible metacritic rating compared to serious sam and original painkiller games, any reason for that?

No money, Slav dev, different era. Serious Sam and Painkiller came out in a different time originally(SS3 is a great game in its own right but still suffers because it's low budget and old school. It owes good scores partly to the original franchise. Necrovision has none of this to fall back on.) Painkiller was first released in 2004 so at the time, health regen and cover system combat weren't the great things they are now so Painkiller could get good scores. Necrovision looks too dated and filled with obsolete mechanics to compare to MW3...

Personally I prefer Necrovision to Painkiller/SS games because of the more traditional method of combat(DOOM) rather than just entering one open area after another to slaughter a predefined number of spawning enemies before gaining access to the next area to do the same.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2

No money, Slav dev, different era. Serious Sam and Painkiller came out in a different time originally(SS3 is a great game in its own right but still suffers because it's low budget and old school. It owes good scores partly to the original franchise. Necrovision has none of this to fall back on.) Painkiller was first released in 2004 so at the time, health regen and cover system combat weren't the great things they are now so Painkiller could get good scores. Necrovision looks too dated and filled with obsolete mechanics to compare to MW3...

Personally I prefer Necrovision to Painkiller/SS games because of the more traditional method of combat(DOOM) rather than just entering one open area after another to slaughter a predefined number of spawning enemies before gaining access to the next area to do the same.
Spot on. It's definitely my favourite of the "new old-school" shooter breed precisely because it never or almost never falls back on repetitive arena combat. The last few levels of Serious Sam 1, for example, bored me to tears - sure, they were fast-paced and whatever, but standing in a square and killing 200 Kleer Skeletons is fucking boring design. SS3 mostly managed to avoid doing the same, as even the arenas went for a mix of enemy types and placements over relentless hordes, but the last level was absolutely horrible and fucking endless. Necrovision sticks much closer to the Doom style, at least after a boring first couple of levels.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Still, being stuck in an arena with hundreds of kleer skeletons running and throwing their balls (!) at you while you keep the trigger on the minigun pressed while watching the ammo going down is quite exhilarating. I admit it's not very subtle but effective. Then again Serious Sam is not Doom and that's probably what I like about it. I remember being sold when the old demo came out (NETRICSA would even say "Incoming message!" in a manly slavic voice for each new message you got) and I arrived in one of the courtyards and enemies kept coming and coming and coming and I had no idea of when it would stop. Good times.

Multi-headed Cow

Surprisingly enough some good prices from Ubisoft and their Uplay client. Shamelessly stolen from CAG:

Thursday: HAWX2 $1
Tintin 75% off
Anno 2070 60%off

Friday: From Dust $1
Ass Creed 2 75% off
Ass Creed Brotherhood 75% off
Ass Creed Revelations 75% off
Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands 75% off

Saturday: Silent Hunter 5 $1
Shawn White Skateboarding Deluxe Edition 75% off
Might and Magic Heroes VI 70% off
Heroes VI Pirates of the Savage Sea 25% off

Sunday: Driver: San Francisco $1
Settlers 78 Paths to a Kingdom: Deluxe Gold Edition 75% off
Splinter Cell: Conviction Deluxe 75% off

Are you a bad enough dude to install Uplay for dollar video games? I'm tempted to pick up Driver since I heard good things about it and I'm already stuck with Uplay due to Anno, but I may not. Being stuck with it because a Steam game requires it is different from buying something from it. Namely Ubisoft won't have my payment information when they bumble my account information across the internet.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Surprisingly enough some good prices from Ubisoft and their Uplay client. Shamelessly stolen from CAG:

Tintin 75% off
Anno 2070 60%off

Ass Creed 2 75% off

Are you a bad enough dude to install Uplay for dollar video games? I'm tempted to pick up Driver since I heard good things about it and I'm already stuck with Uplay due to Anno, but I may not. Being stuck with it because a Steam game requires it is different from buying something from it. Namely Ubisoft won't have my payment information when they bumble my account information across the internet.

FUUUU!!!!I wasted 5000 blue coins to get Silent Hunter 5 for 'free'(took a shitload of 1C reviews to get it that high!) and you have to have UShit anyway. Would have prefered to spend a dorrah(or euro)...oh well...Driver is pretty tempting though. Enjoyed the 'Demo' version...

Turjan

Arcane

Tintin 75% off
Anno 2070 60%off

Ass Creed 2 75% off

I don't know. Is the Uplay client you need to play their Steam games really the same as the one you need to buy games from them? It doesn't look as if they wanted to sell me anything from within the client that my version of Driver: San Francisco uses, which I bought during the Steam summer sale.

Edit: That's how I pay attention. There's some small text with the offer in the Twitter box.

Quilty

Magister
Bros pick up SH5, at that price it's worth it the hassle of fixing it with mods. It's a pretty good game when modded.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
commie, Quilty, Turjan, Multi-headed Cow
The purchases that you make through the Ubishop online store has a one month download period. If you have exceeded that month you will need to purchase either an Extended Download Service or a Backup Disk.

Just for your info, bros.

Heh, nice smallprint there...thanks for sniffing this out. Though on reading around it seems that this is more true of the older client and people haven't had their game 'switched off'. fuck it, for a buck I'll bite on Driver. I doubt it's an epic for the ages that I'll want to replay in the future anyway. If Ubishit want to be real cunts and take it from me after 30 days then they can keep their dorra and miss out on any purchase from me ever again.

Angthoron

Arcane
commie, Quilty, Turjan, Multi-headed Cow
The purchases that you make through the Ubishop online store has a one month download period. If you have exceeded that month you will need to purchase either an Extended Download Service or a Backup Disk.

Just for your info, bros.

Heh, nice smallprint there...thanks for sniffing this out.
Just doing my duty of financially destroying a shitty company while saving my bros a dollar.

Also it was Dexter that picked it out first, here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...heir-own-pc-gaming-client.75201/#post-2228756

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Ok for those with fears that UBISHIT will steal your quality gaems rest assured that it need not happen. I tried it with the copy of F.A.G.Z. 2 I got yesterday. You download the installer using the client, then BEFORE running it you go to the folder where the installer is (it will be under x:/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/cache/installers/) and copy the numbered folder with the game somewhere else as backup. That way you can install the game in the future whenever you want and it's better to have the damn thing rather that downloading on their ultra slow connection everytime you want to play one of their products.

Turjan

Arcane
Just doing my duty of financially destroying a shitty company while saving my bros a dollar.
Thanks. I guess, as tempting as the sale may be, I will give it a pass, anyway. I already have "From Dust" (I don't think this one is even worth a dollar) and "Driver: SF", so there would only be Silent Hunter 5 left at this point. Not sure whether I actually want that one.

Gord

Arcane
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition is on sale today (75% off) at Gamestop/Impulse.

To bad it still comes with the need for the Origin client.

TripJack

Hedonist
big amazon sale is on

i don't feel like copy pasting, but the list of deelz is in the OP of this thread.

the Plethora of Paradox pack can be had right now for less than 10 bucks, i think it was $15 or $20 previously

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom