Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've only made it to Groundbreaker so far, and did a few side quests there and these are my impressions so far:
- Weapons that utilize the light ammo seem useless thus far, the only weapon to be worth any salt seems to be the light machine gun.
Well, shotguns are kinda nice up close. Tactical shotguns knockdown enemies with TTD corpse shots.

A Flamethrower/Shock Cannon might kill them quicker... but you kinda need to focus fire on current target to stun-lock it. Meanwhile a shotgun with TTD might be better for Crowd Control when fighting multiple enemies -> survivability.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
TDD has some nice details actually. With plasma weapons you can burn most enemies if you the right point (like belly for the mantis), some sniper rifles have execute. I was already 1 shotting at that point so dunno how effective that was.

Lemming42

Arcane
At the big ship after the first planet and I'm bored. Combat blows - could go into why but basically you oscillate between everything being a bullet sponge and everything dying in one hit depending on the gun. Neither style is fun, and the weakspot system is just funny - you can't miss if you use F.E.A.R. mode.

None of that matters though. I wasn't expecting good (or even serviceable) combat from Obsidian, I just expected a nice world and good quest design.

Quest design seems alright in terms of a standard amount of branching, skill checks and alternate paths. The problem is the writing, it's not grabbing me at all. The setting fails to connect with me on every level and I don't really know why. I don't like the retrofuturism vibe (they don't seem to be doing anything with it beyond the "zany" ads and such), all the attempts at humour make me do a kind of anti-laugh where I just scowl at the screen, and I don't feel connected to my character or the world in any way. The corporation stuff is so tedious - the old guy who can't get access to healthcare because he's already got the plague is a real low point. Subtle. Listen, I'm not American, I already have state-provided healthcare, I don't care about this. I don't want to see the hot topic issues of today's America shoved hamfistedly onto space tuna cowboys.

The other problem is that almost all quests are fetch quests, and framed as such by the writing - not even an excuse to pretend like you're not on a fetch quest, as New Vegas often managed. Come on, who in their right mind gets excited at a fetch quest in 2019. "Sure, I'll come back to the town... but you'll have to find me two mechanical repair books first!" How about you stay out here and die then fuckhead.

No motivation to continue. No good characters so far, the only almost-memorable person was that mayor guy, and he only developed a character in his final few lines where he was like I ONLY WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR THESE PEOPLE. I AM GOING TO WALK INTO THE WILDERNESS AND DIE NOW. GOODBYE.

The starting planet took me about two hours, and in that time I've reached the point where I don't know or care what's going on with this solar system and the colonies, I don't know or care why my character is still here beyond "trapped because we have no jump drive or whatever", I don't care about The Board and I don't want to know more about them, I don't care about my companions and their wittering throughout the power quest just annoyed me, and I don't care about finding out what's on the other planets. Maybe it's just a bad intro but given how people in general seem to be reacting to the game, if I'm not interested in the setting by now then the rest of the game probably won't change my mind.

I also don't know what's up with the map design. I always assumed New Vegas only forced you to walk through huge stretches of boring empty space filled with irritating enemies because Obsidian were forced to make it on Gamebryo, but it turns out that's actually just their favoured type of map design. To get to my next quest I have to walk down a road with like 20 Marauder Vandals and then a bunch of technicolour dickhead alligator alien things come flying out of the ether to force me into another round of trash combat bullshit. Why.

Maybe I'll use the respec thing on the ship to become an insanely strong retard, just like in real life, to see if playing the game as a combat-oriented character is better.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I think I'm nearing the end, might finish it sometime this week. So far I'd rate it a 7.5/10, not the worst game ever but it has a lot of glaring flaws.
  • Most weapons other than the assault rifles are crap.
  • The inhaler-thing is a terrible design, bring back consumables. I hate having to go rummage through my inventory just because I want to use a specific consumable. This shit feels consolized as fuck.

Lots of good info and I also agree with most.
But those 2. So far, I'm doing a lot of weapon switching. Most weapons feel effective, fun and different enough from each other - although sniping from afar is the safest option (still, some options here - can use assault rifle or plasma for example... even slower, but heavier and more accurate hunting rifle shots may work, particularly if you combine them with stealth).

And the Inhaler... I though it was a nice invention... development of this whole regen-over-time stimpack mechanic. I liked it. If you want to use a specific consumable, for example for some skill check, you don't need to load it into the inhaler, you can just right click and instantly use it from the inventory.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Restarted the game for a supernova run, and I noticed there's something even more useless than the perks. The aptitudes. They give things like +1 skill, I mean, what's the point of something insignificant like 1/10 of a level-up anyways?

That's apparently some joke.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Where can I find Parvati after she runs from me? You know, last time I killed Reed and told her to fuck off I tried to kill her but she teleported away. So where can I find her? I just got a new shotgun and tinkered it and stuff and I wanna, you know, find her and.....talk things out, my way.
Also, just met Nyoka. Holy shit. Guess she's.......going on vacation too.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Where can I find Parvati after she runs from me? You know, last time I killed Reed and told her to fuck off I tried to kill her but she teleported away. So where can I find her? I just got a new shotgun and tinkered it and stuff and I wanna, you know, find her and.....talk things out, my way.

They're both gone permanently.
I reached Monarch last night and saw Nyoka too. :(

ON THE UPSHOT - this is the most stable Obsidian game by far - No crashes over 10 hours of play.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The problem is the writing, it's not grabbing me at all. The setting fails to connect with me on every level and I don't really know why.

That's because you are a man.

:brodex:
i think the reason is fallout 2-ization of the themes. it can work as a theme but they satire'd it too much while focusing on capitalism bad thing as a one big joke, it's like they try to critisize the system trough satire ala south park but dont really have the teeth nor writing acument for it. basically presenting an issue, but instead of delving in multiple sides, they handwave it by making it borderlands style meme joke. similar setting in games that did it better is actually the mining colony part of the longest journey. the whole section is like very unimportant to the whole game and maybe last only 30 minutes before the climax of the game.

the premise is basically offworld mining corps taking desperate workers to work off world mining station with no hope of returning and basically living in enclosed space like hamster. it was done well portraying the despair of the people surrenderring themselves to the system in such of a short time and while in the colony they also live by and buy the same corporate products that hire them and it does capture the same themes TOW tried to build for 40 hours in like 30 minutes and several dozen of exposition line.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Restarted the game for a supernova run, and I noticed there's something even more useless than the perks. The aptitudes. They give things like +1 skill, I mean, what's the point of something insignificant like 1/10 of a level-up anyways?
The aptitudes were meant to be a joke that seemingly went over many people's heads.
Maybe that's because they're on the level of fart jokes. I forgot it even was there, despite playing the game day before.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A recurring observation: https://www.somethingawful.com/video-game-article/outer-worlds-disco/ Prime Junta

The Outer Worlds Review

It is the 9 hour mark and I am wrapping up the first area.

I have stolen (holy cow have I stolen, like, a LOT). I have snooped on private emails. I have aided someone who wanted to do the right thing for the wrong reasons. I have blasted space creatures and space robbers. I have convinced a friendly security team to run into a hail of enemy blaster fire so they would die and leave behind some sweet gear. I have recruited my favorite RPG companion since Fallout New Vegas' Cass, who happens to be the polar opposite of this person in almost every way.

More on that "polar opposite of New Vegas" thing later.

The skill system is remarkably clever, particularly in the early game. Instead of investing in individual skills you put points into categories to raise three skills at once, like pumping the Stealth category to raise Sneak, Hack, and Lockpick. After reaching the 20 point mark each of these individual skills grants a useful bonus. For example, at 20 Lockpick you get to open level 1 locks without losing a pick. Once a skill in a category hits 50 you go from investing in categories to individual skills, at which point you need to specialize.

By frontloading all these options at a relatively low investment cost, you're encouraged to dabble in multiple weapon types, conversation options, and mechanics in the early hours while you're still trying to figure out what your character will be doing. This is a brilliant idea, even if later breakpoints 40/60/80/100 could have been more creative.

It is the 14 hour mark and my first visit to this game's space station hub is coming to an end. It seemed like every ten paces presented an entirely new circumstance, faction, store, or uniquely themed area.

I have resolved quests by persuading, fighting, bribing, exploring hidden passages, going to someone else with a better offer, sneaking, hacking, begging for a guided tour, and committing good old identity theft. I used my formidable hacking skills to free a man from a space toilet. I talked someone down from a fight just to lower their guard so I could get the advantage and fuck them up. I became very involved in someone's dating life. I had the option to let them figure it out on their own at several points, but helped because I wanted them to be happy.

My character is all about leaving combat up to companions, opening stuff real good, and talking gooder. I open almost every fight from stealth. After I take the first shot I command Parvati to teleport to my target and smash them with a technology mallet. Then I tell Ellie to teleport to the next target and unload her plasma six-shooter into their face. If anyone is still alive I activate slow motion and plink away from a safe distance. Ideally my companions finish off every enemy, since I have a perk that grants an extra 50% of XP on their kills.

It is several worlds later and I am wrapping up the game.

What I hoped for was Fallout: New Vegas with the structure of Knights of the Old Republic. Lots of tonal and theme work, characters living in a variety of situations with differing opinions on the world and its factions, all in a series of relatively dense maps instead of a sprawling open world.

That's pretty much what I got. All of that stuff is here. The setting is fleshed out in some genuinely clever ways that reward players who explore and read between the lines. But where New Vegas was melancholic with sprinkles of humor, Outer Worlds is silly with sprinkles of gravity. Where New Vegas gave you a dizzying number of options to complete almost any given quest, Outer Worlds gives you two or three. Where New Vegas hit the dialog out of the park and delivered some unforgettable moments, Outer Worlds is consistently solid with rare missteps.

Where New Vegas was Obsidian at its most ambitious and messy and (to my mind this is directly related) brilliant, Outer Worlds is Obsidian at its most measured and by-the-numbers. This is the platonic ideal of an Obsidian game. It's an Obsidian game meeting your parents, more cleaned up and reserved than usual, choosing its words carefully and hiding a bit of its personality in the process.

This is a substantial sci-fi romp of occasional consequence. It's damn good, but if this is New Vegas meets KOTOR, bring on New Vegas meets KOTOR II. Warts and all.

2008_02_23_reviews.png

ctstalker~vga-icon-pc.gif
The Outer Worlds

Oh fuck off. 9/10

Disco Elysium

Disco Elysium is a creative, thoughtful, and uniquely granular RPG and obnoxious people can't stop shoving it into discussions about unrelated games. 10/10

John Wick Hex

Maybe you were hoping to see a John Wick Hex review here but instead here's another pointless mention of Disco Elysium, isn't that annoying? 6/10

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Hey, how about an out-of-context screenshot of some text that actually makes Disco Elysium seem worse than it is. 7/10

switchtag.png
Luigi's Mansion 3

The ghosts in Luigi's Mansion 3 are okay but they're no Disco Elysium writing and oh boy am I annoying. 8/10

ps4.png
Call of Duty Modern Warfare

Hey did you hear about that white phosphorus in Call of Duty well it reminds me of this one part in Disco Elysium (lowers shades) which is a much better game, by the way. 6/10

xbone.png
NHL 20
The writing in this game is nowhere near Disco Elysium's, I don't know why anyone would play this hockey game. 7/10

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
but i dont hate the game or anything. i find myself looking forward to play after work, but i dunno. it just dont bite deep enough for me or maybe "post disco elysium" syndrome is real and i just expecting TOW to be as gut punching experience as DE and came out disappointed.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

They're both gone permanently.
I reached Monarch last night and saw Nyoka too. :(

ON THE UPSHOT - this is the most stable Obsidian game by far - No crashes over 10 hours of play.

Just wait until the end ;)

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
About writing:

I am still trying to get out of Edgewater and when I talked with Max he made dismissive/indifferent comment about his congregation and their plights. From 4 dialogue options I am given: 2 are to defend them, 1 is to call vicar asshole in the face and last one is [Leave].

Why in the hell I can't agree with his pov? These bland pathetic creatures did nothing to deserve my sympathy.

Such a small thing pissed me off so much so early.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
i think the reason is fallout 2-ization of the themes. it can work as a theme but they satire'd it too much while focusing on capitalism bad thing as a one big joke, it's like they try to critisize the system trough satire ala south park but dont really have the teeth nor writing acument for it.

Yep. Writing looks so easy compared to, say, sculpting. You look at the David and you know you couldn't pull off anything like that in a million years. But writing? Pff, you just put a bunch of words together and voila, you got yourself a story, no? Ezy pezy.

In reality tho it's probably the highest of all art forms. The ability to capture the depth and breadth of human emotions, inner lives, intricacies of the society and complexities of the world is extremely rare and that gaggle of vapid, high-functioning Bay Area dangerhair ignoramuses in the Obsidian writing room have certainly never been anywhere near it.

hexer

Crap, missed the sales. It's now $1.24!!
HOT! Get it while you can bros! :lol:

P.S. that feeling when a company where you work releases the anticipated game where you were the lead writer
but you're all over the place promoting your sexual fantasies book.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Uniques should be more powerful than they currently are, I have a bunch of them and have used none of them.
I know the science weapons (I'm guessing they're along unique weapons) are extremely OP. At first I thought the Shrink Ray was a utility weapon, but nope.

Turns out you just use that on a gun build to murder everything in sight because it can do over 300 damage a pulse and pulses like..3 or 4 times a second? Reduces armor and stats on enemies, too. Think the only legit utility science weapon is the gloop gun. For other weapons, one of the strongest heavy weapon is in the first region.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if this game would work better as an immersive sim type of thing rather than trying to be a scaled back nu-fallout clone. Maybe they should have looked at a different Bethesda IP for inspiration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom