Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Delterius

Arcane
writers used to be people that knew that KJV bible verse for verse and had read the illiad in its original greek. today's "writers" are 103 IQ milquetoasts that read harry potter when they were 23.
they arent as versed in wordsmithing as shitposters like you and me

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Now I am not going to defend any bit of purple prose written by any random writer, in fact not only do I think that most writers in general can't pull off purple prose let alone game writers but I think it's misguided to even attempt at decorated prose in a video game unless you are writing it all in verse. Most people aren't going to be Tolkien just because they read Tolkien and write fantasy.

However all writers can go off the rails without proper goals and aim but only capable writers will manage to put something alluring under proper direction. I have seen enough to think that capacity and potential is there and it just requires good directing, and I am willing to trust Tim Cain's and Boyarsky's directing and concepts, their narrative design and the general Obsidian principles (everyone can be killed, give player options whenever it seems probable and half the time when it seems crazy etc.) enough for any moderately decent game writer to put out something that will be appealing when taken as a whole.

I remember The Dirge/Pilgrimage having pretty good writing. Unfortunately the guy who wrote it deleted all the updates so this is all we're left with.

But if a Codexer could do it, anyone could. Purple hair or no purple hair.

It is the Fourth Era. For more than a hundred centuries mankind has ruled unopposed over the Underscape. It is master of this world by the will of the God and through the light of the First Flame. It has become a rotting carcass, stagnant and fearful of the encroaching Dhulma. Yet even in its last days, mankind continues its eternal struggle against the dark. The mighty Ashguard, touched by the blood of God, cross the whole of the ‘Scape hunting monsters and worse. The Church keeps the faith and sings hymns laced with a spark of the Flame that uplift even the spirits of those who cannot hear. The hidden few hold a Vigil over the fire, keeping an eye on the forsaken places of the world where darkness might seep through, though all know their task to be fruitless.

Once, the Underscape was a world of light. Now only a City of Light remains. Thrice was this land ravaged by strife until it was irreversibly broken. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been lost, never to be recovered. Forget the promise of sorcery and all it could bring, for its legacy is destruction and its practices purged. Now, among the ruins of the old civilizations all manner of men and women seek fortune in whatever way they can, only to be met with disappointment and despair. To be alive in such times is to be one amongst few. It is to live in the coldest and bleakest time in human history. As the sun dims and the stars wink out one by one, all there is left to do is sing one last dirge for the Flame before it is finally snuffed out.

This is the tale of one such man, a pilgrim making his way to a mountain that is said to be the grave of Angels and the cradle of Man. Read on...

BfbUP.jpg

What is with women in video game companies trying to be just as unstylish as the men. It's the one thing they have an edge on and they fuck it up and do their best to look just as awkward as the dudes.

Is equality looking just as ridiculous as your male counterparts?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Usually the Codex looks forward to something and then it turns out to be utter shit (Bored's Tale IV, GrabageFire, Underworld Ass; end it!) So since Codex is shitting on it, it will probably turn out to be a gem.

The simple fact of the matter is that this game will completely blow everyone away and will be the codex GOTY for 2019 (provided ELEX 2 doesn't drop, natch)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What is with women in video game companies trying to be just as unstylish as the men. It's the one thing they have an edge on and they fuck it up and do their best to look just as awkward as the dudes.

Is equality looking just as ridiculous as your male counterparts?
It is strange indeed. You visit any other industries, and women there try to dress pretty, try to look good. Not because of other people, but for themselves. Here, yeah, I just dress up in some ugly shirt, a Metallice T-shirt and also put on some leather gloves. Because this is how much I don't give a fuck about how I look.

It is strange indeed. You visit any other industries, and women there try to dress pretty, try to look good. Not because of other people, but for themselves. Here, yeah, I just dress up in some ugly shirt, a Metallice T-shirt and also put on some leather gloves. Because this is how much I don't give a fuck about how I look.

It seems like in any other professional industry women try to excel and go against negative stereotypes. Meanwhile in the game industry they embrace every single negative stereotype and amp it up. It's like they don't want to be taken seriously and want to be perpetual victims...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom