Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Ah I see we've arrived at the inevitable "bitch about millennial female writers" part of this game's lifecycle. Might as well get it over with.

But look, this isn't a thing that's going to go away. In fact it's going to get worse. And it's not really about California. Look at the demographics. Which of the two sexes reads more books today? Which one earns more college degrees, especially in literature and the humanities?

We're not going to return to the era where most of an Obsidian RPG's writers were overeducated dudes who were born in the 1970s and played Planescape: Torment in college. That generation has moved on. You should actually expect majority-female or even all-female RPG writing teams to be the norm in the future.

Then we’re going to enter the era where no one plays RPGs other than biodrone perverts

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
It’s a really short story and I recommend finishing it before passing judgment. The whole monologue is a spell, hence the unusual style for Khaw who typically writes funny stories about a cannibal chef.

Edit: I will stop bashing my head against this wall lest I provoke more attempts at close reading.

Edit 2: just to be clear, Khaw is not working on The Outer Worlds. I wanted to see how people would react to this story’s impressionistic style.

KYSF

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Infinitron is right when he claims that the future of writing will be women, especially in fiction. You just need to look at the latest books released in the fantasy section over at goodreads to see how many writers are women.

The problem is not with these writers being women, that would be ridiculous, it's more due the poor state of higher education, the lack of good editors and how cheap it has become to publish any shit that comes into your mind.
The future of writing...maybe,but not the future of good writing. It is not about high school,it is about the lack of real life experience,most of the greatest authors didn't go to school.

That's not how it works. First you become a man, then the women take notice of you.
Who is talking about women here? I was quoting a codexer.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Let's go back from discussing out-of-place wannabe writers to discussing FPS combat at least.

Infinitron , do we have a shot at making an interview with some of the leads? I can think of at least a few questions on the systems and combat, and I'm sure lots of other folks can come up with questions as well.

Zer0wing

Cipher
discussing FPS combat at least.
'k

From the Youtube perspective - It's wooden but not governed by stats'n'skills, just wooden in general. Animations, thin gun sounds, lack of punchy recoil adds up to this feel. Hitscan bullets is just epic fail, apparently in 2019 we still can't afford bullet physics.
Change my mind, debater.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

The future of writing...maybe,but not the future of good writing. It is not about high school,it is about the lack of real life experience,most of the greatest authors didn't go to schoo

A lot of teachers and professors are terrified of issuing criticism, especially when it comes to creative endeavors since you may hurt feelings and crush spirits. This leads to the purple hell you saw in previous pages being displayed. Paragraphs of unnatural flowing dialogue, grand descriptions that the scene does not warrant, and a way to deceive the easily impressed into believing what they just read was a work of literary art.

Has there been anybody in the history of mankind that was ever said, "I want to tell you in case opportunity absents itself forever?" People don't speak that way. Just say, "I wanted to tell you in case we never speak again." You don't sound like a malfunctioning replicant at least.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron , do we have a shot at making an interview with some of the leads? I can think of at least a few questions on the systems and combat, and I'm sure lots of other folks can come up with questions as well.

We might. I've considered it myself though I'm not sure I have anything urgent I'd like to ask. If you want to take point on this and gather questions then feel free.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Are you guys ready?

aMNFhy3.jpg

No Cloud's Sword joke yet?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Goral explain yourself, mate.
His firm has brought to light two best games ever created: Fallout 1 and Sacrifice (Age of Decadence is the 3rd one) plus such gems like Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Messiah. He also said that he loves Sacrifice so by default he can't be retarded. He's also a millionaire and can do some coding (better than your average programmer I would wager). Also, correct me if I'm wrong but "Fargo is a retarded" isn't grammatically correct.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom