Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
Every single bullet point about the companions could be "uh yeah this is an obsidian RPG."

(The big-percentage bet, as with anything, is that they're just a bunch of shitty Carths.)
so a medieval-Bioware RPG then with Bioware companions.

The Real Fanboy
What a pointless fucking article. Every single bullet point about the companions could be "uh yeah this is an obsidian RPG."

It's weird how completely 'normal' they've made the companions, that's one thing that breaks the trend. At my most Fabulously Optimistic that's part of an interesting way to make these companions "not Semi-Special Ones following The Special One" but much more like normal people caught up in the clusterfuck you're rolling down the hill.

(The big-percentage bet, as with anything, is that they're just a bunch of shitty Carths.)

What's Carth?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Video Interview with Tim and Leonard today

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclus...the-dark-comedy-in-obsidians-the-outer-worlds

Edit: Yeah, continues to sound like Cainarsky (imo)

Edit2: Also hell, these interviewers are continuing: 90% of it is *Blah, blah, COMEDY SILLY.* with Cainarsky answering *Yeah, its a balancing act and theres a lot more depth to it like..* and the interviewer immediatly going again *Blah Blah Comedy, Silly*

I mean it wasn't terrible (thanks to Tim and Leonard), but it feels like the interviewer asked the same question throughout the entire thing pretty much ignoring asking questions that arose from the answers.

Edit3:

Best sounding interview so far (for storyfaqs).

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Theouterworldsgettok.jpg
Dear god that's awful

Kills-in-Shadow. Yeah. Oozes of originality. Half of her description is basically "she's this but also that". Some narrative design there.

But this
d9e1526591739936.jpg
Wow, I didn't see this one before.

It's just... wow...
Such a shitty, high-school level of writing. But to be honest, this is the standard writing today... this kind of haha lol omg rofl shitty attempts at humor where every line tries to top the previous one in quirkyness.
In fact, this is pretty much Big Bang Theory level of writing. Yeah, I think that's the best comparison.

Last edited:

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Tumblreddit-Gender-Studies-Majors-and-Creative-Writing-Minors are the source of this evil. They are stupid and unfunny. They stink of weed and have an insatiable yearning for cotton candy hair dye and tattoos. They're also a hivemind, a gay, angry militant swarm, and are stalwarts of tolerance (unless, of course, they disagree with you) for whomever else is a carbon copy of their collective (un)conscience, whether that be Bernie who was the last manifestation of their madness, or AOC who more clearly represents their penchant for supporting Hamas and Maduro.

As members of the sub-human, feral Communist Party, Tumblreddit-Gender-Studies-Majors-and-Creative-Writing-Minors are functionally retarded but indoctrinated, morally bankrupt but self-righteous, and unapologetically gender fluid but hate men. They are marvelously under-evolved hominids, forever marked by primitive and mutated genetic defects that resulted in animalistic behavior and an insatiable yearning for hair dye and inking up dat skin (wait, didn't I already say that?). They are also pussies, vegans, retarded (I swear I've said this before), easily triggered, and have a quirky™ sense of humor. They often snort, gargle, drink, and cook with semen and period blood.

As the everpresent manifestations of cultural decay, they are on a single-minded hunt to destroy everything good and just, and will not be satisfied until each and every human being has descended into the abyss. And though their kith would never have survived in a Hobbesian Jungle, these faggots ironically insist that all people unlike themselves are fundamentally broken. If most radical SJWs are amoebas, Tumblreddit-Gender-Studies-Majors-and-Creative-Writing-Minors are a collection of amoebas--numerous, worthless, and the lowest living things in existence. Drawn by a spectacular Decline following Avellone's departure, they are now the substance of Obsidian.

And they actually think PoE is good.

Trashos

Arcane
The Kills-in-Shadow description is terrible.

I don't mind the Aeldys part. It is sexy. (Aeldys is a woman, right? Sounds like a woman.)

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
So. Trashos likes the Aeldys thing. So. He is an idiot? So. That is my -- a person with a nigh unfathomable quantity of neural synapses -- impression of you, an average human who laughs along with Claptrap from Borderlands. So. I invite you to change your most stupidest and dumbestestestest opinion. Which is to say, reassess yourself. So.

So.

So. Oh, and do it quickly, before your brain loses its plasticity from underuse.

Your newest buddy,
Guy

P.S. I'm not your guy, buddy.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What a pointless fucking article. Every single bullet point about the companions could be "uh yeah this is an obsidian RPG."

It's weird how completely 'normal' they've made the companions, that's one thing that breaks the trend. At my most Fabulously Optimistic that's part of an interesting way to make these companions "not Semi-Special Ones following The Special One" but much more like normal people caught up in the clusterfuck you're rolling down the hill.

What's Carth?

https://swtor.fandom.com/wiki/Carth_Onasi

Trashos

Arcane
Eh, I shit on nu Obsidian writers all the time. That part I like, I feel obliged to say it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Funnily enough Boyarsky mentions in the interview that he had to teach the writing stuff how to do humor as they (Tim and Leonard) wanted it.

Last edited:

Simple Simon

Scholar
Just one man's opinion, but I think the biggest issue is trying to do all of the characterization through dialogue or letters. Games give the writer the ability to show your character's personality through their actions. I don't think it is utilized nearly enough and as a result character dialogues become Flanderized because the writer is trying to jam all the characterization into a pretty narrow space. I think one solution would be only have enough characters for one party -- so the writers always know who is going to be there and you can do more interaction stuff.

Trashos

Arcane
Interesting interview. That ending though. "That part of us hasn't changed that much."

Now, let's talk about shapes and colors replacing numbers.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Kills-in-Shadow in-game is inoffensive enough other than the annoying manner in which she talks (but all beastpeople talk in an annoying way). Bringing out that description is low-hanging fruit. :M

Yosharian

Arcane
Kills-in-Shadow in-game is inoffensive enough other than the annoying manner in which she talks (but all beastpeople talk in an annoying way). Bringing out that description is low-hanging fruit. :M
Or, and this is just an alternative point of view, it's indicative of a cancer that is eating what little is left of the RPG industry from the inside

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Or, and this is just an alternative point of view, it's indicative of a cancer that is eating what little is left of the RPG industry from the inside
This thread already went through the "young women are taking over writing jobs in RPGs and there's nothing you can do about it" phase. :M

Yosharian

Arcane
This thread already went through the "young women are taking over writing jobs in RPGs and there's nothing you can do about it" phase. :M
It's interesting that you went to 'young women'. I didn't mention women. I didn't mean women, either. Plenty of capable women (writers or otherwise) in the industry.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's interesting that you went to 'young women'. I didn't mention women. I didn't mean women, either. Plenty of capable women (writers or otherwise) in the industry.
I suppose that was too specific. "Young progressive activists are taking over writing jobs in RPGs and there's nothing you can do about it", there that's more nearly accurate.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
There is something you can do. Wait before purchasing games, and when they end up being shit, don't buy them. My backlog is long enough I don't need new games anyway.

Now we play the waiting game.
:mlady:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't write for shit, but exposing me is a low-hanging fruit. Please don't bring up evidence of my lack of skill at what I'm pretending is my vocation and job.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
(but all beastpeople talk in an annoying way)

Let me guess, they're like the lizards in NWN, that go "ssss" every other word, just with a different annoying idiosyncrasy?
I bet the writer for NWN was also patting his back on what awesome and fitting dialogue he was writing.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Not really, they're just some standard beast race with beast or barbarian morality (beat their alpha to pass diplomacy check). They do talk funny tho (repeating words mostly).

Tyranny has other problems of bigger importance; mainly that people expected probably something closer to fantasy AoD and instead got comical setting similar to 300 Spartans + actual ability to serve Overlord was added later with last DLC; before you were superhero beating everyone solo due to your super tower-powers.

The most disappointing RPG I played in years probably - so much potential, and all not used.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom