Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
How many games even managed to pull off navigation by environmental clues in 3D? In isometric it's great because you get to see much bigger chunk of the map and any given time, but even the best implementation in 3D are always on the thin line between fun and frustration.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How many games even managed to pull off navigation by environmental clues in 3D? In isometric it's great because you get to see much bigger chunk of the map and any given time, but even the best implementation in 3D are always on the thin line between fun and frustration.

Play a bunch of Thief missions or the original Tomb Raider games

Black Angel

Arcane
What is there to be excited about again?

Precisely my thoughts for the past several pages. Other than the potential for some Cainarsky humour I got nothing.

I mean quest markers ffs

I literally haven't followed the game at all but NV has quest markers so since when has that been automatic damnation
That question should be turned around: since when are we being okay with quest markers? And seriously, the experience of discovering stuff in NV aren't genuine due to the markers. The quests felt like they aren't exactly designed without them in mind.

Gothic games? Dark Souls? KCD?

These are the games that I've played. Gothic games are no brainer, Dark Souls has top-notch level-design to overall world-design with environmental clues all over the place for those who paid attention on top of NPCs + item description giving hints on where to go next. And while KCD does has markers, the quests aren't designed with them in mind. NPCs still tells you the exact direction of where you need to go, and in case you forgot them they're recorded in the quest logs, and there's even an herbarium to look up for when you got quests to get some flowers.

Oh, and even though I haven't played it, Morrowind supposedly pulled off top-notch quests design without needs of quest markers.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
First person character with no feet? I'm confused, what year is this?
You foot fetishists are getting real tiresome lately
It's called lurking, look it up newfag
0425.gif

Terenty

Liturgist
In Outcast you literally ask npcs how to find another person or a place and they tell you and even point in the direction. The same in Shenmue where they ask you to follow them.

This is how you make immersive experience without gps system

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, having a GPS in a game set in the future where distant worlds are being colonized is just immersion breaking.

If it actually was a ”GPS” equivalent of that world that worked in a sensible way (i.e. not pinpointing exactly at the target item/box/enemy/button... nor being a HUD overlay beyond possible minimap, by default), and which you’d have to obtain from somewhere and operate yourself (if the PC knew how to), it’d be fine.

Don’t know about immershun, but generally I’d think it’s far better to have these kinds of helpfeatures be actual parts of the gameworld with a mechanical significance beyond being a developer admittance that ”the game can’t be played without, so there you go”.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, having a GPS in a game set in the future where distant worlds are being colonized is just immersion breaking.

If it actually was a ”GPS” equivalent of that world that worked in a sensible way (i.e. not pinpointing exactly at the target item/box/enemy/button... nor being a HUD overlay beyond possible minimap, by default), and which you’d have to obtain from somewhere yourself and operate (if the PC knew how to), it’d be fine.

Don’t know about immershun, but generally I’d think it’s far better to have these kinds of helpfeatures be actual parts of the gameworld with a mechanical significance beyond being a developer admittance that ”the game can’t be played without, so there you go”.
Augmented reality is something that would be completely feasible in this setting.
You're discussing something that exists right now — e.g., Microsoft Hololens.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What is there to be excited about again?

Precisely my thoughts for the past several pages. Other than the potential for some Cainarsky humour I got nothing.

I mean quest markers ffs

I literally haven't followed the game at all but NV has quest markers so since when has that been automatic damnation
That question should be turned around: since when are we being okay with quest markers?

I was replying to PJ, not making a general assertion about quest markers being good.

And it was retarded there

Never said it wasn't. Said it didn't automatically make a great game bad.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Augmented reality is something that would be completely feasible in this setting.

Doesn’t really matter what it is. The point is that it should be something ”playable and interactive” within the gameworld that makes sense in the fiction, instead of just an aid feature from the developer to pull the player from the nose lest he be lost.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

If it actually was a ”GPS” equivalent of that world that worked in a sensible way (i.e. not pinpointing exactly at the target item/box/enemy/button... nor being a HUD overlay beyond possible minimap, by default), and which you’d have to obtain from somewhere yourself and operate (if the PC knew how to), it’d be fine.

Meh. I don't have one, but I strongly doubt even a Hololens can lead you to "Find a witness to the murder" or "Recover the long lost Dwemer puzzle box".

Codex Year of the Donut

Meh. I don't have one, but I strongly doubt even a Hololens can lead you to "Find a witness to the murder" or "Recover the long lost Dwemer puzzle box".
In the universe they've created for this game that sounds entirely feasible.
People complaining don't even stop to think if something makes sense from an in-universe perspective.

Arulan

Cipher
Quest markers (or lack thereof ) isn't just about having meaningful exploration, but interesting quests. What fun is a murder quest when you're told where the body is, and who to question? I find it incredibly rewarding to make my own logical deductions, and have the game react accordingly. Even something as simple as looking for a known drunkard, and then asking around for him in the local taverns is significantly more interesting than following a marker to his location.

Prime Junta

This is a Cain/Boyarsky game. I was hoping for some of the atmosphere and immersiveness of VtM:B, not a FONV successor. You know, if you’re tracking down a bail jumper, look for a bail bondsman, rather than following a blip on a map like a moron. Hence my snide comment about the quest marker. It’s not even open world FFS, it’s pure retarded handholding. :decline:

HansDampf

Arcane
quest markers -> follow the arrow -> sleepwalk through the game
no quest markers -> pay attention to world and details -> better immersion

Whether augmented GPS is believable in the game's setting should be secondary concern.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is a Cain/Boyarsky game. I was hoping for some of the atmosphere and immersiveness of VtM:B, not a FONV successor. You know, if you’re tracking down a bail jumper, look for a bail bondsman, rather than following a blip on a map like a moron. Hence my snide comment about the quest marker. It’s not even open world FFS, it’s pure retarded handholding. :decline:

It’s a game funded by Take-Two... and we already saw gameplay footage with quest markers months ago.

More importantly, again, they were super enthusiastic about giving you the option to disable quest markers and said they would try to make it work.

Really, everyone should watch that last hour long interview with them. There’s a lot of good stuff in it. Reading/watching the extensive coverage would be a much better use of everyone’s time than reading this thread.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bloodlines was a product of its time. Morrowind and Knights of the Old Republic didn't have quest markers either. If it had been released in 2014 instead of 2004 it would certainly have had quest markers.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nothing retarded about making a game for people who don't have time to look around like autists, go back to your 2d rpgs you boomer incel no-lifer. This game is gonna sell millions and there is nothing you can do about it.
A long time lurker......yeah sure. You are as newfag as they come dipshit,go play your sparkly shit like anthem! Why Infinitron bans only the funny newfags and leaves the truly retarded is beyond me.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Bloodlines was a product of its time. Morrowind and Knights of the Old Republic didn't have quest markers either. If it had been released in 2014 instead of 2004 it would certainly have had quest markers.
It is more about how is structured the game,in modern open world games is needed. In old games it was pretty clear where you have to go and what you have to kill/get/do. Games like skyrim will be unplayable without a quest marker,go and get X item from one of the endless amount of generic dungeons. The older games do have better world building and quest writing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It is more about how is structured the game,in modern open world games is needed. In old games it was pretty clear where you have to go and what you have to kill/get/do. Games like skyrim will be unplayable without a quest marker,go and get X item from one of the endless amount of generic dungeons. The older games do have better world building and quest writing.
Alpha Protocol with its apartment hubs and linear levels didn't "need" one, but it got one nevertheless.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Gothic games? Dark Souls? KCD?

Gothic and KCD yeah. I think KCD works so well because the whole map is based on real locations. Fart Souls I did not play.

Oh, and even though I haven't played it, Morrowind supposedly pulled off top-notch quests design without needs of quest markers.

Morrowind was bash-your-head-against-the-wall awful and anybody telling you otherwise last played it when they were 12.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom