Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

The Real Fanboy
I watched the video! Felix looks cute and that dorky drop kick he does is so funny and dumb, love him!

Nyoka has super nice, lush red hair and her special move is also great (don't really like her outfit, too clashing with all those colours and patterns)

Ellie is still the most stunning companion tho and I doubt she'll be dethroned by any other party reveals!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Butthurt Steamtards just can't let this go. They have their own thread to whine in, but nobody is reading that except their own circlejerk, so now they're back here in the main thread pooping all over without even picking their litter up.
I've never intended to buy this game on Steam you retard. My criticism is valid, but you won't address it because of your asspain.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Butthurt Steamtards just can't let this go. They have their own thread to whine in, but nobody is reading that except their own circlejerk, so now they're back here in the main thread pooping all over without even picking their litter up.
I've never intended to buy this game on Steam you retard. My criticism is valid, but you won't address it because of your asspain.
Your critic is valid,but your podium is not. Most people here don't really care about shooting shit if the rpg elements are good.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Your critic is valid,but your podium is not. Most people here don't really care about shooting shit if the rpg elements are good.
You can sit on my podium too! It's not my fault a 20 mins gameplay video OF AN RPG shows three people fooling around and shooting at peaceful NPCs. What else am I supposed to comment on?

The fact I'm commenting on the combat is not the issue for dicksuckers. Their issue is that my comment is negative.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's the old "don't comment on what the video shows you, think about what it could be!!!!".
And after that, of course, comes the unforgettable "wait 3 years for the patches before commenting!!!".

jf8350143

Liturgist
Come to think of it the dark and brown colour pattern might because the whole gameplay happened at night, because the indoor area looks fine.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You can sit on my podium too! It's not my fault a 20 mins gameplay video OF AN RPG shows three people fooling around and shooting at peaceful NPCs. What else am I supposed to comment on?

The fact I'm commenting on the combat is not the issue for dicksuckers. Their issue is that my comment is negative.
Meh,i do think the game will be mediocre at best. You could always comment on how unfunny anything that the audience laughed at,is. I was just looking at that shit asking my self "why are they laughing?". Or how the dialogue checks didn't make any sense. There was plenty of bad in the trailer. To me the shooting looked passable,and that was fine.

Terenty

Liturgist
They were just lucky to catch the hype on controversy with fallout 76, now that things settled down the general audience see the game for what it is, a dated, seemingly low budget rpg with not one thing to get excited about.

Its like Cain and Boyarsky are still in 2005 and decided to make a sci fi rpg right after Bloodlines to be released in 2008 or smth, but unfortunately its 2019

Last edited:

wyes gull

Savant
I don't like what I've seen from the combat. In fact, I'm not so sure you're ever going to find a compromise between player and character skill in FPSs that results in something decent from both perspectives- and I really don't know what to ask for. Arena shooter movement? A Morrowind-style dodge mechanic that makes you miss shots you actually see hit because low character skill? And this is worse in the era of "think of the childran", ie- designing it with the players who're gonna play it for the story in mind.
But hey, at least it's not RTWP.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Codex: Vampire The Masquerade Bloodline and Elex best ARPGs ever, the shit combat doesn't matter, there are more important things

Also Codex: Outer Worlds has a shit combat, it's literally unplayable, Obsidian = Bioware

The combat doesn't matter, as long as the quest design is on New Vegas level, the C&C is decently impactful on the game world and the dialogue trees take account of the various skills and give you the opportunity of playing different characters.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Leveled equipment
THIS IS FUCKING HERESY! What kind of idiot would think that this is good idea? I mean, people was shitting on Shitout 76 for this, but they decided to repeat mistakes of others? This is just insane, why putting mechanics from grind coop looter shooter into singleplayer game? What the fucking purpose it would serve? I understand when devs doing it in MMOs, because this mechanics helps in spreading people across several dungeons to prevent overcrowding, but in single player game this is shit mechanic. This is insane. I was skeptical before (thanks to fucking numbers), but right now I think game will be shit.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
IDK what people expect

do they want rpgs to play like that cancer genre, 'arena shooter'?

Yes, that's the only alternative. Either shit or arena shooter.

Though I guess it makes sense since the average Obsiditard literally never encountered good gameplay. All they know is the sub-amateur garbage that Obsidian produces.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Though I guess it makes sense since the average Obsiditard literally never encountered good gameplay. All they know is the sub-amateur garbage that Obsidian produces.

This is the fallacy here, good gameplay is not equal to good combat system. The combat is a minimum part of the gameplay of an RPG, expecially when that combat is derivative of another genre.

Sentinel

Arcane
The last gameplay video from PAX legitimately looks like trash. It's like some terrible FNV mod with fanfic-tier companions.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Inspite all the implied reactivity, somewhat interesting setting, attempted humor and oooooovert use of messy weapon effects (that makes combat look like an uncomfortably moist clusterfuck seen through a oily prism) the game still manages to look empty and boring.

The character page seemed somewhat interesting at a glance, but... I dunno.

Quillon

Arcane

This is the fallacy here, good gameplay is not equal to good combat system. The combat is a minimum part of the gameplay of an RPG, expecially when that combat is derivative of another genre.

RPGs have its own genre-combat?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom