Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

drgames

Scholar
Before Epic store announcement:
11dVucd.png
After Epic store announcement:
Ae088Wt.png

What a rotten way to die :hero:

Sic transit gloria mundi

sullynathan

Arcane
I do agree, call me a combat fag or whatever, you can't make an rpg without combat and unlike story you can't skip combat either.

It wouldn't be bad to get an arpg shootah with at least combat as fun as E.Y.E

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Inspite all the implied reactivity, somewhat interesting setting, attempted humor and oooooovert use of messy weapon effects (that makes combat look like an uncomfortably moist clusterfuck seen through a oily prism) the game still manages to look empty and boring.

Of course it's gonna look empty when you ignore everything, do one half of a quest with no voice acting and then start killing everybody

And as for the combat, like I said it wasn't even meant to be good. They showed off combat that had no chance of making a good impression.

Basically, forget Bugsidian, these days it's more like Gaffesidian.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Everyone focusing on the ui and skills but forgetting about the utterly abysmal quest design they decided to showcase...

Couple of dialogues with only 3 choices and a single token skill check, combat encounter that didn't allow for any setup by the pc, and then it's done?

Fuck that, if that's the best obsidian can muster for the crowd.

Deleted Member 16721

They're not going to show their best, they probably purposely chose the most mundane quest just to show something. I'm sure there's a lot better stuff than what was showcased, only an absolute fool would think otherwise.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Everyone focusing on the ui and skills but forgetting about the utterly abysmal quest design they decided to showcase...

Couple of dialogues with only 3 choices and a single token skill check, combat encounter that didn't allow for any setup by the pc, and then it's done?

But the quest wasn't done. They started it midway through (the player character had already been approached by the director before the gameplay began) and then aborted it by killing the director. We only saw a single stage of the quest (one that was meant to be played for laughs) so counting skill checks is kinda meaningless.

Xeon

Augur
They said the guys related to the quests were real actors and don't know you are not an actor, its kinda weird their weapons still hurt instead of it being fake weapons.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
They said the guys related to the quests were real actors and don't know you are not an actor, its kinda weird their weapons still hurt instead of it being fake weapons.

It's mentioned at the beginning that everybody in the movie is carrying real weapons for more authentic product placement. But they only open fire on you after they realize you're attacking for real.

S.torch

Arbiter
The comment, the gameplay itself, the laughs... everything was pretty bad. One thing that some must understand is that the comment should not be like "oh look, I'm having fun with my friends" while leaving the viewer excluded from that fun. People already told them that about the comment, I do not understand why they keep doing it.

Honestly this did not look like the gameplay of a RPG but a shooter. No character creation, no presentation about the plot or the story, no presentation about the world, only some irrelevant decisions here and there. I join the opinion that the fight matters little or nothing that and the graphics are a point of complaint quite invalid.

troz

Educated
Still don't get why people are butthurt about that "exclusivity".
You're already getting fucked by Valve and their malware, why do you give a shit about getting fucked by Epic and their malware then? Your ass is already well lubed, after all.
I can get my head around people being butthurt about a game getting released exclusively on just one console (Bloodborne), they have to buy the hardware, but this is just plain retarded.

Quillon

Arcane
Btw. everything about this game screams its a Sawyer game, guess he is really the design director :D Its strange Tim & Leo copying NV this closely, guess we'll know fo'sho if its/feels any different when we play it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Btw. everything about this game screams its a Sawyer game, guess he is really the design director :D Its strange Tim & Leo copying NV this closely, guess we'll know fo'sho if its/feels any different when we play it.

Wut?

I got lots of Impressions, but Sawyer wasn't really a particular one.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Inspite all the implied reactivity, somewhat interesting setting, attempted humor and oooooovert use of messy weapon effects (that makes combat look like an uncomfortably moist clusterfuck seen through a oily prism) the game still manages to look empty and boring.

Of course it's gonna look empty when you ignore everything, do one half of a quest with no voice acting and then start killing everybody

And as for the combat, like I said it wasn't even meant to be good. They showed off combat that had no chance of making a good impression.

Basically, forget Bugsidian, these days it's more like Gaffesidian.

I have no problem with their presentation being based solely on shits and giggles, or them not autisticly describing and showing the whole minutia of a quest. I’m looking at the bigger picture this and the older stuff seems to be painting.

For example... Combat looking like a coloured waterballoon fight in a rave-club one can barely interpret isn’t going to change with better intentions. It was like that before already.

There is good stuff there to be sure, but the overall feeling this thing is oozing, makes me wonder what the was the hype about again.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

But the quest wasn't done. They started it midway through (the player character had already been approached by the director before the gameplay began) and then aborted it by killing the director. We only saw a single stage of the quest (one that was meant to be played for laughs) so counting skill checks is kinda meaningless.

Doesnt change the facts that the dialogue still consisted of 3 choices, with no multiple skill checks per dialogue, so you still get a single token check per dialogue, as well as the fight consisting of an encounter with zero leeway in how you approached it, set it up or even have the ability to avoid.

Deleted Member 16721

It was a freaking basic, early demo. They aren't going to show some insane quest and spoil the good stuff. They showed you something basic just to see the game in action a little. Reacting off an early demo is ridiculous.

S.torch

Arbiter

How? Pillars of Eternity looked more comfy

Duraframe300

Arcane
It was a freaking basic, early demo. They aren't going to show some insane quest and spoil the good stuff. They showed you something basic just to see the game in action a little. Reacting off an early demo is ridiculous.

Not to mention they alluded to different ways to finish the quest when talking about it. They even announced they are going for the simplest option. As well as it not being the full quest like Infinitron said.

I liked it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Game is releasing in a few months, if they are not ready to show some of the good stuff, then believing in some imaginary and yet to be shown magic gameplay that will make everything better, is just delusional.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm going to guess they weren't prepared to release this soon but Epic needed some kind of big name exclusive and they waived enough cash in front of the publisher to rush the timetable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom