Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yosharian

Arcane
Trying to ape Borderlands in the gameplay department I guess.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Leveled equipment? Really? If true that's just... sad.

They've already committed to level scaling enemies. If they had level 20 mobs dropping level 5 loot they'd probably not get a good reception.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Loot should be hand-placed, in reasonable places and with reasonable power. Gaps between beginner kit and end-game equipment should not be 10x better. Rather x1,5 - x3.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian developers intentionally and deliberately attack non-hostile NPCs in an area where you're not really supposed to engage in combat, at point-blank range where you can see their AA-budget character models cover half the screen, and then hit them with a weapon that GLITCHES THEIR FACES.

Codexers: WTF why does this look bad?

Obsidian: WTF why do people hate this?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Deleted Member 22431

Obsidian developers intentionally attack non-hostile NPCs in an area where you're not really supposed to engage in combat, at point-blank range where you can see their AA-budget models cover half the screen, and then intentionally hit them with a weapon that GLITCHES THEIR FACES.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Now ask yourself: how do I explain this? Probably because the game has so little combat inserted somewhere in a quest that would take forever to find... so they have to attack NPCs to show that "combat".

They pretend to make a FPS/RPG to receive money from the publishers and fool gamers, but the game has a barebones empty gameworld, terrible gameplay with C&C, that thing that most players will ignore. It won't please neither the traditional fanbase nor causal players. Good for them that they will release this piece of crap on Epic store. It will be a loss making event.

Quillon

Arcane
I'm more concerned with technical presentation; couldn't they fix screen tearing for instance, it was apparent back in december gameplay, then there is no anisotrophic filtering, graphical & other glitches, combined with no VO...a piss poor presentation of the game, why did they greenlighted this to be shown to public I don't know, especially when they showed a more polished demo months before.

Only thing I can understand is the quest they've shown presents that the game reacts even when you go psycho in the middle of the quest and even rewards you. And the ugly stick is for the memes and for journos to write shit titles about; "Wow! the bug became a feature!"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Devilkingx

Barely Literate
Obsidian developers intentionally and deliberately attack non-hostile NPCs in an area where you're not really supposed to engage in combat, at point-blank range where you can see their AA-budget character models cover half the screen, and then hit them with a weapon that GLITCHES THEIR FACES.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

But doesn't it kind of undermine the fact that they're making a choice based RPG if there's wrong ways to play the game?

Even making an area where they don't have combat in mind at all seems like a bad idea

(remember when deus ex human revolution let you stealth/hack/speech your way through everything except the mandatory boss fights that would be really hard on a non-combat focused character?)

Plus, this area had a bunch of guards trying to block you by force, and the combat there also looked... Underwhelming and that was definitely intended combat.

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I went to a Mosque and said Muhammed didn't take care of his beard and was pedo. You won't believe it but people actually disagreed! Some quite strongly at that! Oh, thank you nurse for painkillers, where was I, except in hospital....oh yes! Dunno, maybe it's us guys. We crazy ones

For those guys at Obsidian forum Obsidian can't do no evil cause even Obsidian's evil is good cause it's Obsidian's. Cult like behaviour, too common on every official game company's forums. Bad place for objective, logical and free opinion of anything Obsidian or anything related to owner company's behaviour in general. Always thought 90% of people there were employees in disguise or wanna-be unpaid employees. Basically mentally the same people

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
For those guys at Obsidian forum Obsidian can't do no evil cause even Obsidian's evil is good cause it's Obsidian's. Cult like behaviour, too common on every official game company's forums. Bad place for objective, logical and free opinion of anything Obsidian or anything related to owner company's behaviour in general. Always thought 90% of people there were employees in disguise or wanna-be unpaid employees. Basically mentally the same people

Not really true from my experience. Check out their Epic-exclusivity thread, for instance.

But in this particular case, for this particular topic, maybe.

Deleted Member 22431

But doesn't it kind of undermine the fact that they're making a choice based RPG if there's wrong ways to play the game?

Even making an area where they don't have combat in mind at all seems like a bad idea

(remember when deus ex human revolution let you stealth/hack/speech your way through everything except the mandatory boss fights that would be really hard on a non-combat focused character?)

Plus, this area had a bunch of guards trying to block you by force, and the combat there also looked... Underwhelming and that was definitely intended combat.
By choice RPG they have in mind mostly narrative choices in dialogues. Deus ex type of choices involves emergent gameplay, which is completely different. In a sense, these types of games are the very antithesis of Obsidian games, for obvious reasons. The more freedom the player has, the less narrative impact and narrative restrictions the player has. C&C storyfag cRPGs have nothing to do with Deus Ex gameplay.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Not really true from my experience. Check out their Epic-exclusivity thread, for instance.

But in this particular case, for this particular topic, maybe.

May have nothing to do with you being butthurt, right?

:troll:

cosmicray

Savant
2. As a $20 indie RPG on steam
I wonder what's in the contract with their publisher and Epic. Could they sell the game for $0 for example? Probably not, but $30-$40 price could be a lifesaver here. It looks AA, but if there is a good game underneath, the low price won't hinder its financial success. But with the full blown $60 price it'd be perceived as AAA and bomb right away.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
At this point it's pretty clear that Obsidian had nothing (or next to nothing) to do with the Epic exclusivity. It's all on Private Division (Take Two), who are taking most of their games there.

bullshit. tim and leonard are literal corporate cucks. they won't even address it because they are such cowards they don't want to offend their (((masters))) obsidian is just as culpable.

and what's worse is that they, through many of their games, espouse advocacy for workers rights and consumers rights, but when reality hits they are corporate shills, through and through.

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, right. Like TIMNARD has any say whatsoever on this decision. You're dreaming if you believe that.

Codex Year of the Donut
There's zero reason for developers to have a forum for anything other than bug reports.
If they care about feedback, check other sites that discuss your game. Any developer forum will become a circlejerk.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
C&C storyfag cRPGs have nothing to do with Deus Ex gameplay.
True. But why not both? I like both. And they're not mutually exclusive.

The more freedom the player has, the less narrative impact and narrative restrictions the player has.
Why not tie emergent gameplay decisions to the narrative? Some, at least? C&C choices don't have to be made exclusively through dialogue.

Yeah I know we're talking about Obsidian and they suck at it, I'm just talking in general here. Still, Tim and Leon seem less tied to the classical dialogue-centric Obsidian approach. And maybe CP2077 will have some of that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nice to see a few more people waking up to the truth about Tim Cain.

J2IQ0GI.jpg

sullynathan

Arcane
It's like game developers and gamers alike prefer to have fun. Wasn't it Tim & Leonard that couldn't keep playing the original fallout recently?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom