Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Also ... https://twitter.com/OuterWorlds/status/1184877727444156417 I'm failed before even start. :negative:

Obsidian gonna play The Outer World on Twitch Oct 22nd.

What is "twitch plays"?

Well , if it's anything like other ''Twitch Plays'' , i'm gonna guess that they gonna let us play The Outer World by inputing commands on the chat. Like Foward , Open Menu , LT , RT , etc..

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What is this strange sunlight that's always shining on NPCs faces even when indoors?
upload_2019-10-17_21-2-3.png

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Just watched one of the vids from a few pages back.

Jesus the post-processing. Everything is blurry thanks to DOF, there's chromatic aberration, vignette, motion blur when turning, weird sharpness filter crap(?)... And low fov to boot.
I'm sure you can at least turn most of that off, but fuck, who actually likes this shit?

Do modern devs even play their own games?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Playing a game with NPCs from the new Fallouts is like watching a movie full of unexpressive actors.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Jesus the post-processing. Everything is blurry thanks to DOF, there's chromatic aberration, vignette, motion blur when turning, weird sharpness filter crap(?)... And low fov to boot.
I'm sure you can at least turn most of that off, but fuck, who actually likes this shit?

I'm not a big fan either, but more than you think. There's a reason reshade is so popular.

Codex Year of the Donut

console games stack on the post processing to hide the potato textures and 15 fps

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

I'm not a big fan either, but more than you think. There's a reason reshade is so popular.
Reshade does a lot of other stuff as well though, and with the horrible HDR implementation and color filters some games have it sometimes legitimately helps.

That being said, I wonder if many people today simply grew up with this crap and don't know any better.

AwesomeButton

Patron
What is this strange sunlight that's always shining on NPCs faces even when indoors?
View attachment 11588
Something similar was in FO4 as well, you could turn it off there. I forgot what it was called... God light or some crap?

It's on weapon models as well, I think.

Totally fucks up the consistency of the lighting in general.
This all feels so amateurish. Sorry, but I don't want a Bethesda game, with neo-Obsidian writing.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Reshade does a lot of other stuff as well though, and with the horrible HDR implementation and color filters some games have it sometimes legitimately helps.

That being said, I wonder if many people today simply grew up with this crap and don't know any better.

Possibly, btw. since its on UE4, even if an option is missing you can usually ini remove those things.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

console games stack on the post processing to hide the potato textures and 15 fps
Yeah, I know about that, but that really only explains the full screen motion blur, DOF and low fov.
Stuff like Chromatic abberation just makes it look like the character is tripping on acid imo.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
View attachment 11588
Something similar was in FO4 as well, you could turn it off there. I forgot what it was called... God light or some crap?

This all feels so amateurish. Sorry, but I don't want a Bethesda game, with neo-Obsidian writing.
The entire thing so far looks unappealing as hell to me... From the characters to the setting, the art-style, the technical aspects and the gameplay systems... Haven't checked out the writing much, though.
And so many are hyping this up, it just seems like an "Emperor has no clothes" -type situation to me.

Hope I'm wrong and this somehow doesn't turn out to be a grating failure, but come on... This doesn't exactly come across as a labor of love now, does it...

Duraframe300

Arcane
View attachment 11588

The entire thing so far looks unappealing as hell to me... From the characters to the setting, the art-style, the technical aspects and the gameplay systems... Haven't checked out the writing much, though.
And so many are hyping this up, it just seems like an "Emperor has no clothes" -type situation to me.

Hope I'm wrong and this somehow doesn't turn out to be a grating failure, but come on... This doesn't exactly come across as a labor of love now, does it...
And so many are hyping this up

They do? We've had that argument before, but apart from internet fanboys and typical internet journalists nobody should take seriously anyway, I can't see it.

Most of all I'm excpecting a *decent* mix between a troika and new vegas (who alredy had quite a few of those elements) style rpg. This isn't even going to touch Disco Eysium as my GOTY, but its a style of game I haven't had in 10 years+, so I'm sure going to enjoy it. I also like the setting in principle and am excited to see how far Tim and Leonard have developed it.

That's about it. This is not going to be a masterpiece (Maybe OW2). But, I'm going to enjoy it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After watching two of these interviews back-to-back I gotta say Nitai Poddar comes across as a total bro. Cool-headed and says all the right things. If he's as good at narrative design as he is at talking then he'll be going places.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
After watching two of these interviews back-to-back I gotta say Nittai Podar comes across as a total bro. Cool-headed and says all the right things. If he's as good at narrative design as he is at talking then he'll be going places.

Yes, watching that guy talk was quite an upgrade after Megan, like, Starks, like, was, you know, promoting, like, the Outer Worlds, you know.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
They do? We've had that argument before
You and me, or do you mean in general? I haven't really kept up with this as I'd been mostly away from the codex for quite a while. Twitter-trash, forum-dwellers and journos is who I meant, yeah.
Most of all I'm excpecting a *decent* mix between a troika and new vegas (who alredy had quite a few of those elements) style rpg. This isn't even going to touch Disco Eysium as my GOTY, but its a style of game I haven't had in 10 years+, so I'm sure going to enjoy it. I also like the setting in principle and am excited to see how far Tim and Leonard have developed it.

That's about it. This is not going to be a masterpiece (Maybe OW2). But, I'm going to enjoy it.

I hope you do, bro.

A mix of troika and new vegas is what I'm hoping for as well... Though if we're unlucky that will just mean a double-dose of bugs and jank ;)

AwesomeButton

Patron
After watching two of these interviews back-to-back I gotta say Nittai Podar comes across as a total bro. Cool-headed and says all the right things. If he's as good at narrative design as he is at talking then he'll be going places.
I hope he gets promoted. Although games tend to sound better in such interviews than when you actually play, with few exceptions which are as good to play as they sound in interviews.

just

Liturgist
he also doesnt have a twitter which makes him a top lad

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom