Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Zerginfestor

Learned
FNV/F3>F4>TOW.

FNV >>>>>>>>>>>>> F4/TOW >>>>>>> F3

I don't know. The actual gameplay in FNV sucked pretty badly (similarly to F3, but with worse exploration).
So I'd say FNV, F4 and TOW are all pretty close, each on its own merits. With F3 lagging behind.

Well the rating was about gore in general, if you noticed, the gore keeps getting toned down from F3/NV's gore system (where enemies are spewing blood about, the limbs have no problem squirting and dribbling blood onto the ground, ground gets saturated), to F4 (limbs are no longer squirting profusely of blood, If there is, it's very short lived, more like an instant splash and sometimes not even there, but ground saturation still happens and people still fall with physics impact, like getting hit by a powerful weapon), to finally TOW (enemies just crumple over, limbs pop off with absolutely no blood spray or thick mulch sounds of flesh being torn asunder, no ground saturation, body can not be altered once set on ground).

This is actually very important in terms of playing time. If you don't have interesting, or impactful gunplay, a player's gonna get...well...fucking bored to tears.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's shame if it's true. I quite liked the edgewater quest and had big hopes for the rest..

So far it's basically stayed at Edgewater level. If you liked that (as did I) then you'll like the rest. You just won't love it, because it never goes any further. So far at least.

That kind of goes for the whole game really. I like it okay, but I wanted to love it, and I don't.

I ended up clocking 26 hours, completionist run wouldn't take more than 30.

I'm at over 20 hours and have only been to two planets.

I've got an entire fucking spreadsheet with everyone in here and their disparaging comments about TOW listed and am eagerly awaiting the release of Cyberpunk 2077 to cross check the list for inconsistencies, cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy.

You are on notice.

Oh well, you need something to pass the time I guess. It's not like there have been any halfway decent games released recently that could do the trick.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Thoughts on the ending (spoilered, of course)?

Final mission was predictable but quite fun. Ending itself
I thought was great - I ended up siding with the scientist, but there are no easy choices there and I scratched my head for quite a while before commiting to a choice. Ending slides seem very expansive with a lot of variations baked-in, which should make for fun replays.
So far it's basically stayed at Edgewater level. If you liked that (as did I) then you'll like the rest. You just won't love it, because it never goes any further. So far at least.

That kind of goes for the whole game really. I like it okay, but I wanted to love it, and I don't.

I'm at over 20 hours and have only been to two planets.

Yeah I meant 30 hours at my pace. I ended up skipping I guess about 5 quests and I shoot some quest NPCs in Byzantium during my murder spree.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought the ending was rather anticlimactic, even though it was supposed to look like some epic battle where all the factions you helped before come to your aid, but I just walked through there w/ my disguise...

Trashos

Arcane
Your post was absolutely on point, Riddler. What I personally have trouble understanding is that important members of the current writing team were hired while MCA was still there. It is really-really hard for me to understand how he let that happen.
Carrie is Avellone-approved and she's one of the few Obsidian folk he still follows on Twitter.

That could be just PR, though. MCA has always been nice to everyone in public, until someone really-really pisses him off. Also, I hang out with a lot of people who suck at their jobs myself. I would never hire them, though.

Riddler talked about how these people write without understanding the themes they are writing about (can't understand the opposing view etc). MCA surely understands how important this is, his writing is the proof. I just don't get how he allowed them there.

And, btw, Fenstermaker doesn't seem to have this problem in his writing either.

Hellion

Arcane
I liked that pretty much all main-quest-related combat (up to the very end of the game) can be avoided with the proper dialogue/tech skill checks.

I also liked that the game practically begs for at least one playthrough where you just murder everyone. I decided to kill some NPCs during the course of a companion's personal quest and she went all "what the hell are you doing?" and immediately abandoned my party, I wonder what other such interactions there are when you play as a complete psycopath.

It's good-old "traditional" First-Person RPG fun all-in-all, even though the game's writing can't hold a candle to New Vegas, which is usually credited as a comparison/inspiration. Dialogue is simply "OK" and not particularly funny or smart, and half of the companion NPCs are so bland that I'm having trouble remembering their names.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
That could be just PR, though. MCA has always been nice to everyone in public, until someone really-really pisses him off. Also, I hang out with a lot of people who suck at their jobs myself. I would never hire them, though.
What does he have to gain from being nice to a not very well known writer? Avellone has demonstrated in recent years that he's given up diplomacy when it comes to Obsidian. Also, as I said, he had no problem unfollowing most of Obsidian's other employees after he left.

Trashos

Arcane
Nano, maybe he likes her as a person. Of course I don't know, I just find it hard to believe that he couldn't tell how hard they sucked at writing.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I thought the ending was rather anticlimactic, even though it was supposed to look like some epic battle where all the factions you helped before come to your aid, but I just walked through there w/ my disguise...

Ah, I ended up blasting my way through, probably why I enjoyed it more. Combat was pretty intense at times, so it was fun when suddenly one of your allied factions shows up and starts busting doors and kicking ass.

I'm starting a new run where I side with the board, we'll see how that goes.

Vatnik Wumao

Ah, I ended up blasting my way through, probably why I enjoyed it more. Combat was pretty intense at times, so it was fun when suddenly one of your allied factions shows up and starts busting doors and kicking ass.

Godspeed, lad.

I've tried to only write here when I have nothing to say but fuck it, I bought the game on launch day and wanted to join the shit posting with my excrement. This is the 2nd game in 10 years I've bought on launch day. Yes, joke is on me. The other game? Moving along...

Only thing I knew about the game was that Cain and Boyarsky were behind it. Didn't follow it, didn't read about it, wanted to start playing it spoiler free and not already burnt out by the hype and crap. There will be spoilers so jump to TLDR if you're thinking of playing this (lol).

Launch the game, looks nice, sounds nice, char generation, ooh, looks pretty nice, plenty of skills, omg this is gonna be awesome. Rolled a whitey who can talk shit but is useless in combat. As in, dumped all my points into dialogue and tech/sneak stuff. Difficulty? Eh, let's go with normal for a first gameplay since I got no combat skills. Avellone gameplay here I come! I just hope there are no wolves at the start, this is a Cain-Boyarsky game remember. :<

Immediately I'm surprised how I can melt bandits without any problems even though I got a basic peashooter and no weapon skills. I put it down to it being the start of the game and the first few levels. Not a fan of the art or char design, but it's passable. Zone exploration feels ok, music ok, sounds ok, itemization basic and boring, is this an MMO? Is there crafting or are all these skins and stuff just plain vendor trash? Quests are basic and ok, mildly entertained by what the game is offering at this point. So on we go.. pew pew ..

Hmm, finding out people are only eating canned tuna and it is making them sick. Ok, so we got space travel. We got cryogenics. We can colonize other star systems. But we've somehow lost the tech of basic nutrient additives. I'm sure a big corporation would keep their workforce alive as that is cheaper than bringing new workers from ANOTHER FUCKING SOLAR SYSTEM. Ok whatevs, I'll play along, I just hope the quest doesn't tell me that you can cure the people by going all vegan. Hah that would be.. wait.. what.. The fuckers actually shut down the tuna plant, because fish have feelings too you know, and went full vegan and now everyone is well again. Right. Ok. Whatevs, next zone will be better.

End of the first zone I had 81 stimpacks. Eighty one stimpacks. Never needed them, never bought any, just looted 81 of them. Never need to use the vending machines, don't need to buy anything, money is just for tinkering, never run out of ammo (got thousands), don't even need to mod your weapons, you do not need to do anything. It's there if you want to do it, but you have zero need to do it. Oh right there is bullet time too, I literally forgot about it. You do not need it. And I don't even know what the Vicar combat ability does, never tried it, forgot they are there. Don't need to use them, everything just melts in your presence. And I have no weapon skills.

Speaking of companions. Parvati. Thought it started out good and I kinda liked the character at first. Engineer woman, ok, why not, I've dated one in real life. When it was revealed she is asexual I was like what, tripling down on the minority stuff here. Engineer woman, minority check, kinda pretty engineer woman, double check, pretty asexual engineer woman, triple check. Who then meets another engineer woman at the first pit stop we make after leaving the starting zone who also happens to be a lesbian/whatevs. LOL. Give me a fucking break. Who writes this shit. Maybe it is me who is out of touch with reality, but this is monty python territory to me. And no, I will not go buy you a dress and get you pastries for your date, I'm too old for this shit, been there, done that. Just fix the ship thanks, we got a universe to save.

The Parvati storyline is just... banal teenage stuff. The storyline would be enormously more interesting if it would be revealed that the reason Parvati is asexual is because she was raped and molested by her father, who everyone thinks was a good guy. That would be dark and shocking, and would have some gravitas to make the player feel *something* towards the character. Most likely compassion unless you're a long time codexer with 1000+ posts. That would explain why she is like a naive teenager even though she is 28, and of course why she is asexual. At first I thought the storyline would be about her mother, which felt obvious, but it wasn't even that. We got the worst possible option imaginable. If someone competent started writing her, and some untalented hack finished her, I wouldn't be surprised.

The Vicar companion seemed interesting but I wasn't into the biblehumper archetype when playing. All new IPs have the religious infodumper who spams your chatbox full of some religious tripe fitting the lore. That is fine, but I didn't feel like getting into his exposition because I was bored and just didn't care about the side aspects of the gameworld when the meat itself was rotten. If the game would be great, I'd get into it on a second playthrough.

Got to the 2nd zone, finished all there was to do. Not much to write about that. The place looked kinda nice but the content was boring. So bland, so utterly utterly bland. I can't really even remember what I did there besides being in agony reading the dialogue of Parvati and her girlfriend. Went to bed and thought I'd continue it the next day. Never did. I just had no interest to start playing it again. The next day I did not even remember what quests I was on. The next fucking day! The game is just so utterly bland and boring, with bad gameplay as well, that there are dozens of things, even games, I'd rather put my time into.

I cannot see how anyone with experience in RPGs could enjoy this game. I simply cannot see it. Every single thing the game does and attempts other games do better, and the game doesn't even try to do anything new. There is no creativity here. It's a Feargus slam dunk project, playing it safe. If you are new to RPGs, are of Generation Z, are a non-gamer who rarely plays games, then sure, I can see how you can enjoy the game for what it is, but calling the game a good game, a quality game, is an utter joke.

Cain, Boyarsky, why? What happened? :( Did a lot of the content get cut? Did a lot of the mechanics get cut? Was there an executive order (Feargus) to cut / change things and we ended up with this uninspired and bland thing? Was the game rushed? I am so disappointed. The perks are so bland and boring they could be removed from the game and nothing would be lost. The skill system does not work either. The weapons, items, and itemization are all boring. It all needs a total rewrite.

TLDR; Bland, boring, tasteless, lacks creativity, lacks vision, lacks content, lacks substance, bad writing, bad gameplay. One of the worst RPGs I have ever played. 3/10

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Short but sweet insights into one of the settings main problems. Lack of depth beyond corporations bad. There's hints at more... religion, order versus chaos, etc... but I haven't seen much really developed in 20 hours. Also the idea of a corporate run world feeling more like communism than anarchy. Shadowrun does this stuff much better.

The entire second hub is independent from corporate control. There’s a substantial faction of rebels on Monarch. You should take Max with you when you first meet the Iconoclasts if you haven’t been to Amber Heights already.

As for why everything in TOW feels so authoritarian, that’s because the setting isn’t trying to be anarcho-capitalist, it’s more like what comes after anarcho-capitalism once corporations have grown powerful enough to usurp the authority of the state. Boyarsky must have an anarchist streak, because he clearly thinks that situation looks a lot like the Soviet Union, except with pro-business window dressing rather than pro-worker window dressing. I can see the logic: what’s the difference between a hegemonic state seizing all economic power and a hegemonic corporation seizing all political power? To an anarchist, not much.

Danikas

Arcane
I cannot see how anyone with experience in RPGs could enjoy this game. I simply cannot see it. Every single thing the game does and attempts other games do better, and the game doesn't even try to do anything new. There is no creativity here. It's a Feargus slam dunk project, playing it safe. If you are new to RPGs, are of Generation Z, are a non-gamer who rarely plays games, then sure, I can see how you can enjoy the game for what it is, but calling the game a good game, a quality game, is an utter joke.
It looked like bland shit from the moment they revealed it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Speaking of companions. Parvati. Thought it started out good and I kinda liked the character at first. Engineer woman, ok, why not, I've dated one in real life. When it was revealed she is asexual I was like what, tripling down on the minority stuff here. Engineer woman, minority check, kinda pretty engineer woman, double check, pretty asexual engineer woman, triple check. Who then meets another engineer woman at the first pit stop we make after leaving the starting zone who also happens to be a lesbian/whatevs. LOL. Give me a fucking break. Who writes this shit. Maybe it is me who is out of touch with reality, but this is monty python territory to me. And no, I will not go buy you a dress and get you pastries for your date, I'm too old for this shit, been there, done that. Just fix the ship thanks, we got a universe to save.

The Parvati storyline is just... banal teenage stuff. The storyline would be enormously more interesting if it would be revealed that the reason Parvati is asexual is because she was raped and molested by her father, who everyone thinks was a good guy.

More fun writing in those two paragraphs than in the entire game.

Someone tell Avellone Obsidian sank lower than a random shitpost site since he left.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Are you going to turn Phineas in right away?

Zerginfestor

Learned
I've got an entire fucking spreadsheet with everyone in here and their disparaging comments about TOW listed and am eagerly awaiting the release of Cyberpunk 2077 to cross check the list for inconsistencies, cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy.

You are on notice.
Think I'm safe here then, since my comments was the fucking lackluster gunplay, gore, and terrible world quest of "he sufferin' FROM SPACE SCURVY".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As for why everything in TOW feels so authoritarian, that’s because the setting isn’t trying to be anarcho-capitalist, it’s more like what comes after anarcho-capitalism once corporations have grown powerful enough to usurp the authority of the state. Boyarsky must have an anarchist streak, because he clearly thinks that situation looks a lot like the Soviet Union, except with pro-business window dressing rather than pro-worker window dressing. I can see the logic: what’s the difference between a hegemonic state seizing all economic power and a hegemonic corporation seizing all political power? To an anarchist, not much.

I respect this view and I'll see where it goes. I guess my issue is that as someone whose career and education are rooted in sociology I just see a ton of flags of communist dystopias. I just keep seeing dialog, emails and situations that seem right out of that world, but transferred over to capitalism commentary. Maybe I'm trying to be too realistic with it. I will admit my concerns with how a corporation could become authoritarian in a capitalist world where competition is an option ARE addressed somewhat by the idea of the corporation buying the entire colony in advance.

Trashos

Arcane
Eh, communism was never really applied (and so its practice cannot be criticized, because there hasn't been any practice), while current capitalism is the best that capitalism could have ever been, and therefore it is a POS, right? How convenient.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom