Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
whats ace wlw
It's Tumblr Speak and doesn't really mean anything beyond "I'M SPECIAL":
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=aroace
https://ace-and-aro-wlw-positivity.tumblr.com

More importantly, I found this interesting and posted about it in the other thread:
kMjQvtA.jpg

Someone extracted a word list of words supposedly "banned"/filtered by the game: https://pastebin.com/jTDiYsAy

I'm not putting this shit on my HDD, can anyone check if this is accurate and words like
"Beaner", "Bimbo", "Cunt", "Darkie", "Dyke", "Faggot", "Feminazi", "Gays", "Gringo", "Hitler", "Homo", "Kaffir", "Lesbo", "Mongol", "Muslim", "Nazi", "Prostitute", "Queer", "Rape", "Retard", "Tranny", "Transexual", "Transgender"
etc. are also "unavailable"?

And if true, what does Obsidian have against the "Gays", "Muslim", "Queer" and "Transgender" anyway?

So "Nigger" isn't banned?
:updatedmytxt:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Metacritic's user score for OW plummeted: it started at respectable 8.6 but now it is down to 7.8 for PC. I am curious where it will end up.

Looks like real reviews beside the "10 - It is not Bethesda, Fallout 76, I played for an hour and love everything" started flowing in.

DE's critic score back to 90 from 89. It is strangely pleasing.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
This is the very definition of mediocre. There's really nothing rage-inducingly wrong about it, it's just continuously failing to do anything at all interesting, exciting, thought-provoking, emotion-provoking, or surprising. It's carefully anodyne, calibrated not to offend anyone except maybe people who are offended at the very existence of women with short hair (let alone queers), runs well, pretty much bug-free, recycles tried-and-true systems, mechanics, and tropes anyone who's at all familiar with the genre knows like the back of their hand.

It isn't trying reinvent the wheel. If you liked New Vegas and wanted something like that , this is the game. Some people share the same view about this game , it's kinda samey , not enough original etc , but this game has a audience for it.
If you go on Twitter , Youtube , etc it's get those people that itch that many are missing since New vegas and people are LOVING it so. Myself , i really liking it (Vicar Max is a good character and the religion of this world is pretty interesting). The game feels like something that i really wanted for so long, it reminds me of Mass Effect 1/2/3, FNV and Kotor.

Again , in the current industry there isn't like this game and people really wanted FNV but that isn't buggy.

Perhaps a sequel with more money and time , they could make something that actually make you give a shit about. Not trying to defend the game or sayign '' WAIT FOR A SEQUEL DUDE!'' just giving my point of view.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Anyone else having weird tech issues? I get slowdowns and texture pop-ins all the time, despite having very good hardware.

Also, the music of this game is one of the least memorable creations experienced by mankind. It seems like Bell has done it again!

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So press release was like a week ago and the actual full release was an entire day ago, and a patch STILL has not been released to fix this bug where only TWO of the many gender options are displayed on the character creation screen.

I am absolutely disgusted by the dev's lack of support for the lgbtq+ community and will never be even looking at another game by obsidian again.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is the very definition of mediocre. There's really nothing rage-inducingly wrong about it, it's just continuously failing to do anything at all interesting, exciting, thought-provoking, emotion-provoking, or surprising. It's carefully anodyne, calibrated not to offend anyone except maybe people who are offended at the very existence of women with short hair (let alone queers), runs well, pretty much bug-free, recycles tried-and-true systems, mechanics, and tropes anyone who's at all familiar with the genre knows like the back of their hand.

It's painfully one-note: that zany Brazil-inspired premise of corporate dystopia with retro aesthetics is the only thing it has going for it, and it keeps hammering at it with the subtlety of a pneumatic drill. I'm hoping there will be some development around that theme at some point but so far I got squat. As that Polish review said, this is GOTY 2012. But shit's moved on since then and 2012 wasn't a great year for RPGs anyway.

Problem with your analysis is that we're not drowning in a sea of these games. Bethesda and Obsidian are two of the very few who make games like this, and Obsidian is way better at it. Since New Vegas we've had what... Skyrim, Fallout 4 and...? So the complaint about it being the same old thing again rings pretty hollow when we rarely get said "same old thing." And since Obsidian is ten times better at making these types of games feel like RPGs, it's almost like it's the first good one outside of Morrowind and New Vegas. Also I disagree the story/writing/setup is any more mediocre than other successful games in the genre.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
... seriously sisters and bröthers ...

Yeah, I guess it's a fine game.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

It's painfully one-note: that zany Brazil-inspired premise of corporate dystopia with retro aesthetics is the only thing it has going for it, and it keeps hammering at it with the subtlety of a pneumatic drill. I'm hoping there will be some development around that theme at some point but so far I got squat. As that Polish review said, this is GOTY 2012. But shit's moved on since then and 2012 wasn't a great year for RPGs anyway.

Problem with your analysis is that we're not drowning in a sea of these games. Bethesda and Obsidian are two of the very few who make games like this, and Obsidian is way better at it. Since New Vegas we've had what... Skyrim, Fallout 4 and...? So the complaint about it being the same old thing again rings pretty hollow when we rarely get said "same old thing." And since Obsidian is ten times better at making these types of games feel like RPGs, it's almost like it's the first good one outside of Morrowind and New Vegas. Also I disagree the story/writing/setup is any more mediocre than other successful games in the genre.

>No hamburgers
>Served a shit-hamburger (hamburger made of SHIT)

OMG DELICIOUS!!!!
maxresdefault.jpg

Molina

Savant

It's not even a Bethesda-like game. There's nothing immersive about it, and exploration is just about finding containers. There is no environmental history. It's Skyrim level, but much smaller. Yippee.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Are the old masters really ALL complete burnouts?
The thing with that is that they got too comfortable and fat living a life devoid of issues, and they really have nothing to talk about or comment on. Trying to comment on anything whatsoever leads to pale replicas of their younger days, and they certainly don't consume enough art in general to be able to be creative for creativity's sake.

Xeon

Augur
The bounty in Groundbreaker, does it matter if I take out the guy or leave him be?

I went there after getting Felix and he seemed kinda upset if I try to get rid of him, I can use dialogue to get things done but I am kinda wondering if its better to get rid of him for good especially since he has one of the workers.

Perkel

Arcane
Playing it ATM i am seriously not liking it as thought i would.

- bland mechanics. Stats are retarded. Charm and Temperament as stat ? wtf. Intelligence gives you crit damage and percepcion gives you ALSO crit damage (though to headshots etc) ? Skills are divided into 5-6 categories and you can't rise them individually but in group. Perks are the most boring of boring perks i have ever seen in RPG game. 30% more health and that is whole perk ?
Seriously they managed to make even more boring mechanics than Pillars of Eternity. With such bland garbage they could just do skill tree instead like borderlands and be done with it.
- Visually it is a mess. Love the art style but everything is "busy"
- The whole we are corporation shtick gets annoying really fast.

I am playing it at the hardest def as usually like those kind of challenges but this is just boring af. I think i will switch to story mode.

Also it is second UE4 game where textures barely are able to load and stutters.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Are the old masters really ALL complete burnouts?
The thing with that is that they got too comfortable and fat living a life devoid of issues, and they really have nothing to talk about or comment on. Trying to comment on anything whatsoever leads to pale replicas of their younger days, and they certainly don't consume enough art in general to be able to be creative for creativity's sake.

To be fair, they don't have the staff of the days of yore either.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Playing it ATM i am seriously not liking it as thought i would.

- bland mechanics. Stats are retarded. Charm and Temperament as stat ? wtf. Intelligence gives you crit damage and percepcion gives you ALSO crit damage (though to headshots etc) ? Skills are divided into 5-6 categories and you can't rise them individually but in group. Perks are the most boring of boring perks i have ever seen in RPG game. 30% more health and that is whole perk ?
Seriously they managed to make even more boring mechanics than Pillars of Eternity. With such bland garbage they could just do skill tree instead like borderlands and be done with it.

- Visually it is a mess. Love the art style but everything is "busy"
- The whole we are corporation shtick gets annoying really fast.

I am playing it at the hardest def as usually like those kind of challenges but this is just boring af. I think i will switch to story mode.

Also it is second UE4 game where textures barely are able to load and stutters.

Looks like Sawyer worked on the game after all, sounds exactly what he would do.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Witcher 3 for one. That's head and shoulders above this, warts and all.

Eh.. Witcher 3 isn't that type of game. For one , your character is voiced , has a backstory , dialogue is much limited etc.
This game doesn't use unvoiced character that well believe me.
And voiced Witcher has more interesting quests and choices.

when Cyberpunk comes out, peoples will throw this game away like a wrapping of a bubblegum, which this stuff is

whats ace wlw
Someone extracted a word list of words supposedly "banned"/filtered by the game: https://pastebin.com/jTDiYsAy

I'm not putting this shit on my HDD, can anyone check if this is accurate and words like
"Beaner", "Bimbo", "Cunt", "Darkie", "Dyke", "Faggot", "Feminazi", "Gays", "Gringo", "Hitler", "Homo", "Kaffir", "Lesbo", "Mongol", "Muslim", "Nazi", "Prostitute", "Queer", "Rape", "Retard", "Tranny", "Transexual", "Transgender"
etc. are also "unavailable"?

And if true, what does Obsidian have against the "Gays", "Muslim", "Queer" and "Transgender" anyway?

So "Nigger" isn't banned?
:updatedmytxt:

I see "nigger", but not "sandnigger", there's still hope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom