Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

deuxhero

Arcane
If we're taking "latter stage" as the most generous of "past halfway" that's still putting discontinued in ~May 2027 at the latest (and consoles rarely have any good new games in their last year). That's about normal for consoles, but they rarely have good games released in their final year, Sony already announced they have no big exclusives planned for over a year, and software sales are so bad that even games announced literally yesterday are cross-gen with PS4 (I know at least one instance a few years ago of a company releasing a game for Switch+PC+PS4+PS5, then releasing the sequel on only Switch+PC+PS4 because PS5 sales were so bad). I think there's a non-zero chance the final PS4 game will also be the final PS5 game, and it's pathetic we're even considering that.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This will kill Gamepass. Its biggest appeal was being able to play games day-1 without having to pay $70 for each game.

There is no fucking appeal in this. Games you love you'll always want to own, and the rest is just shovelware. Philly's Netflix for Games model was deeply flawed to begin with.

Most people rented most of the games they played when that was an easy option. Needing to own all the games you play is a fairly new thing all things considered, it’s a post 2011 death of Blockbuster and smaller movie rental places thing.

Pfft, filthy casuls.

In my day, you sailed the 7 seas to get the games you really wanted. And you had to work for it. You had to take your console to a dodgy Chinaman at a fleamarket or some back alley shop to install a special chip first.

tritosine2k

Erudite
>later stage
>of a phone charger and streaming device that has 4
>4 exclusives
GGTX7skWgAEjYNG
. Your project cannot take the entire console's lifespan worth of development time.

Hence remasters. And EA can't be bothered with remakes even
&
the ridiculous thing here isn't sony but bottomfeeder pc gaymers not getting their short-term consoomable xD.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
The thing is Rockstar can’t get away with it. Not that people won’t buy a $100 GTA. They will. But not enough people will for them to make the kind of money they were when they were selling it for $59.99. They’d definitely lose more than half the player base. And that price point would fucking kill growing the player base. Like you might be able to sell a $100 GTA to a bunch of guys that were in some form of secondary education from the time the GTA series started up to GTA5. But you’re losing that audience once the price goes up to $100, and GTA as a brand won’t mean anything to them going forward. It’s a very good way of turning GTA into a niche series.

If someone at some publisher is seriously thinking about $100 games, than they’re a moron. They’re a moron that thinks they’ll still be able to pull the majority of users they do at $59.99. And they won’t. I think they’d be lucky to get half the sales GTA5 had on release.

You might be able to get someone to dump $100 into a game over time. But a few bucks here and there that add up is different from asking for $100 up front, and I’m not sure people at publishing companies understand this idea anymore.

If Rockstar and Take-Two are trying to get more money out of Grand Theft Auto, what they should be doing is what they did with GTA4. Release the regular single player game. Then release stand alone GTA games about different characters doing different shit that reuse the city and game assets.

GTA5 has sold about 190 millions copies if I remember correctly and it's the second best selling game of all time after Minecraft and still brings in a ton of money every year from GTA online. GTA 4 was a success but sold only a fraction of what 5 sold so it's safe to say they will try to replicate the more successful formula.

BTW if anyone is going to try a higher price tag or even a 100 dollar one it's going to be using such a brand name

I could see super-hyped games like GTA 6 come in at $100 simply because Rockstar knows they can get away with it.

Either that or the microtransactions are going to be majorly cranked up to 11...

Either way, there's gonna be a lot of angry people once it happens:

Not sure how successful a potable only console can be in the era of smartphones

GTA5 selling 195 million copies has something to do with people buying it when it’s discounted for Shark Cards. At least that’s what I’ve heard. It’s apparently the cheapest way to get the most Shark Cards. What you’re essentially seeing with those GTA5 sales at a certain point is online Shark Card purchases. I’m sure it’s not all that, but it seems to mostly be that.

And while GTA Online makes lots of money now, it would make vastly more money if it was free-to-play and functioned with the same Shark Card system they have now. As much has GTA makes a years with Online, there is no year where they’ve ever done as good as the best years of Fortnite and Call of Duty: Warzone.

Nobody making a modern handheld system would have it only be a handheld system. They’d be doing it like the Switch. I mean of course it’d be like the Switch, the Switch would be the whole reason they’d even do handheld systems. It’s probably the whole reason Valve released the Steam Deck, since before that (and probably after) the Switch had taken Steam’s place as the go to for indie titles.

The numbers are those mentioned by Take Two themselves during investor briefings, many of those copies would be discounted like with most games these days. I am sure Skyrim sold a ton of discounted copies in various sales during the last decade and the same goes for pretty much every game, including GTA 4. Doesn't change the fact that 5 has sold almost 8 times what 4 sold.
BTW it's 195 million now while Red Dead 2 is at 61 mil.

https://readwrite.com/grand-theft-auto-5-has-sold-195-million-copies/

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/charted-grand-theft-auto-revenue-and-costs/

The thing is Rockstar can’t get away with it. Not that people won’t buy a $100 GTA. They will. But not enough people will for them to make the kind of money they were when they were selling it for $59.99. They’d definitely lose more than half the player base. And that price point would fucking kill growing the player base. Like you might be able to sell a $100 GTA to a bunch of guys that were in some form of secondary education from the time the GTA series started up to GTA5. But you’re losing that audience once the price goes up to $100, and GTA as a brand won’t mean anything to them going forward. It’s a very good way of turning GTA into a niche series.

If someone at some publisher is seriously thinking about $100 games, than they’re a moron. They’re a moron that thinks they’ll still be able to pull the majority of users they do at $59.99. And they won’t. I think they’d be lucky to get half the sales GTA5 had on release.

You might be able to get someone to dump $100 into a game over time. But a few bucks here and there that add up is different from asking for $100 up front, and I’m not sure people at publishing companies understand this idea anymore.

If Rockstar and Take-Two are trying to get more money out of Grand Theft Auto, what they should be doing is what they did with GTA4. Release the regular single player game. Then release stand alone GTA games about different characters doing different shit that reuse the city and game assets.

GTA5 has sold about 190 millions copies if I remember correctly and it's the second best selling game of all time after Minecraft and still brings in a ton of money every year from GTA online. GTA 4 was a success but sold only a fraction of what 5 sold so it's safe to say they will try to replicate the more successful formula.

BTW if anyone is going to try a higher price tag or even a 100 dollar one it's going to be using such a brand name

I could see super-hyped games like GTA 6 come in at $100 simply because Rockstar knows they can get away with it.

Either that or the microtransactions are going to be majorly cranked up to 11...

GTA5 selling 195 million copies has something to do with people buying it when it’s discounted for Shark Cards. At least that’s what I’ve heard. It’s apparently the cheapest way to get the most Shark Cards. What you’re essentially seeing with those GTA5 sales at a certain point is online Shark Card purchases. I’m sure it’s not all that, but it seems to mostly be that.

And while GTA Online makes lots of money now, it would make vastly more money if it was free-to-play and functioned with the same Shark Card system they have now. As much has GTA makes a years with Online, there is no year where they’ve ever done as good as the best years of Fortnite and Call of Duty: Warzone.

Nobody making a modern handheld system would have it only be a handheld system. They’d be doing it like the Switch. I mean of course it’d be like the Switch, the Switch would be the whole reason they’d even do handheld systems. It’s probably the whole reason Valve released the Steam Deck, since before that (and probably after) the Switch had taken Steam’s place as the go to for indie titles.

The numbers are those mentioned by Take Two themselves during investor briefings, many of those copies would be discounted like with most games these days. I am sure Skyrim sold a ton of discounted copies in various sales during the last decade and the same goes for pretty much every game, including GTA 4. Doesn't change the fact that 5 has sold almost 8 times what 4 sold.

Yeah, I know the numbers. Maybe you just didn’t understand what I was saying. I feel like there’s some confusion going on.

The whole reason Grand Theft Auto 5 has the kind of sales numbers it does is because there’s a Premium Edition & Megalodon Shark Card Bundle that’s a cheaper way of getting the Megalodon Shark Card than just buying the GTA Megalodon Shark Card. When the bundle goes on sale, (it’s on sale on PlayStation right now for $39.99) people rebuy the game for the Megalodon Shark Cards because those Shark Cards cost $99.99. So what you’re essentially seeing with that high sales number is Online Shark Cards purchases, because people are rebuying the game for the Online GTA money the Shark Cards give you. Also, they’re buying the game at a discount so they don’t have to spend $99.99 on Shark Cards; if GTA5 cost $100 you wouldn’t even kind of see those sales numbers. You wouldn’t even see GTA5’s release numbers when people were actually just buying the game to play it. Usually you don’t get to see a games digital sales, but that GTA bundle give you somewhat of a glimpse into that given the reason people buy it.

So, the reason GTA has such high sales numbers is because people that already own and play GTA are buying the game over and over for GTA Online money. If Online was F2P, there’d be more people playing it, (since people with console could play Online without paying for PSN or Xbox Live) which would give Rockstar a larger pool of people to sell to, which would make Rockstar more money. And they could still sell the standard single GTA as its own thing and still make billions off that too.

Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn’t seem have a bundle for Online money like GTA5 does, which is probably why you see such a huge discrepancy in sales. But even if it did, Red Dead Online is dead. Red Dead Online completely bombed, it failed, it would seem Rockstar can’t sustain two online modes like that for two different games at the same time.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, I know the numbers. Maybe you just didn’t understand what I was saying. I feel like there’s some confusion going on.

The whole reason Grand Theft Auto 5 has the kind of sales numbers it does is because there’s a Premium Edition & Megalodon Shark Card Bundle that’s a cheaper way of getting the Megalodon Shark Card than just buying the GTA Megalodon Shark Card. When the bundle goes on sale, (it’s on sale on PlayStation right now for $39.99) people rebuy the game for the Megalodon Shark Cards because those Shark Cards cost $99.99. So what you’re essentially seeing with that high sales number is Online Shark Cards purchases, because people are rebuying the game for the Online GTA money the Shark Cards give you. Also, they’re buying the game at a discount so they don’t have to spend $99.99 on Shark Cards; if GTA5 cost $100 you wouldn’t even kind of see those sales numbers. You wouldn’t even see GTA5’s release numbers when people were actually just buying the game to play it. Usually you don’t get to see a games digital sales, but that GTA bundle give you somewhat of a glimpse into that given the reason people buy it.

So, the reason GTA has such high sales numbers is because people that already own and play GTA are buying the game over and over for GTA Online money. If Online was F2P, there’d be more people playing it, (since people with console could play Online without paying for PSN or Xbox Live) which would give Rockstar a larger pool of people to sell to, which would make Rockstar more money. And they could still sell the standard single GTA as its own thing and still make billions off that too.

Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn’t seem have a bundle for Online money like GTA5 does, which is probably why you see such a huge discrepancy in sales. But even if it did, Red Dead Online is dead. Red Dead Online completely bombed, it failed, it would seem Rockstar can’t sustain two online modes like that for two different games at the same time.

You don't seem to understand what I am saying, Rockstar doesn't give a fuck why people are buying it,if it's a first time or someone getting it just for Shark Cards,as long as they get money.They seem to be able to have the cake and eat it, a huge player base that is willing to buy the game and then keep spending money on it,no reason to change the model that worked for them so far

You don't seem to understand what I am saying, Rockstar doesn't give a fuck why people are buying it,if it's a first time or someone getting it just for Shark Cards,as long as they get money.They seem to be able to have the cake and eat it, a huge player base that is willing to buy the game and then keep spending money on it,no reason to change the model that worked for them so far

Jesus fucking Christ, yeah, but they’d make even more money if it was free-to-play. I get what you’re saying. But you seem to be under the impression that those 195 million copies sold is some kind of reflection of the size of the GTA 5 and GTA Online player base. Here’s the thing... it’s not. Because the majority of those sales seem to be people that already own the game just getting a deal on Shark Cards. If a GTA Online 2 was F2P they’d have even more people to sell those Shark Cards to, which would make them vastly larger amounts of money. You want to see the kind of money GTA Online could be making? Go look up what GTA Online pulls in annually, then go look at what Fortnite does. GTA Online could be pulling in billions every years, but they can’t do that with the model they have right now.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What a pathetic fucking console gen
Almost 5 years in and barely any games made for it
And now, when major studios were finally ditching the old ass, busted piece of shit that is the previous gen...

The PS5 in particular should win a guinness award for being the most expensive paper weight

DemonKing

Arcane
The PS5 in particular should win a guinness award for being the most expensive paper weight
There have been a ton more decent PS5 exclusives than decent Xbox exclusives this gen though...(although it seems they're all "timed exclusives" these days as they'll all come to PC eventually).

Ravielsk

Magister
Nothing about his generation makes any sense at all.
I think its really just a simple case of executives and costumers not just being on a different page but each being in a wholly different book. The executive side essentially operates only on spreadsheet and quarterly reports with basically 0 shits given about the product itself. The running assumption in upper management circles is that people are retards with unlimited money so they would buy the new thing because its new and games? Who gives a shit about games the kids only care about Forknight and Meincraft anyway!
Meanwhile the customers are feeling the squeeze from the economy collapsing and are legitimately asking why should the buy the new product when the only new thing about it is some number they barely perceive as doing anything, especially when all the games they play are already on their old systems.

This is not a new situation mind you but now these two mindsets have drifted so far apart from each other that the market finally started reflecting it. Every console gen after the 6th gen ran on the assumption that early adopters will pump money and a userbase into a fundamentally underwhelming new machine and things will somehow shake themselves up from there. But now that people kind of do not have the cash to just throw at new toys the executives are kind of stumped because this is the first time in... what over 15 years they have to actually figure out how to make a attractive product themselves instead of the market forces making it great.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What makes it worse than the current Xbox?
I may very well be wrong, but the way I see it the current Xbox buisness plan is to essentially be a PC for people that can't (or don't want) into PC gaming
At least they seem to be filling a specific corner of the gaming market
Nintendo obviously have a well established niche
Even Valve has a place in the console market now - they filled the vaccum that nintendo's underpowered hardware left
What does Sony have going for the PS5?

There have been a ton more decent PS5 exclusives than decent Xbox exclusives this gen though...
Sure they have more exclusives than the Xbox, but it's not enough and definitively not a ton
Last year they got 3 exclusives worth of note and this was the PS5 best year in sales
Only 3 games
This is pitiful

Every console gen after the 6th gen ... a fundamentally underwhelming new machine
Wasn't the PS3 supposedly considered a powerful piece of hardware at launch?
So much so that some people even bought multiple PS3 to make clusters of them
Even the US Army did it

Last edited:
The PS3 was powerful, but it was so hard to develop for only people making exclusives for the thing were really able to take advantage of it, so the Xbox 360 version of basically every multi platform release ended up running better and looking better than the PS3 version.

Last edited:

911 Jumper

Educated
PlayStation Studios boss Hermen Hulst has said the platform holder is “reevaluating how we operate” as part of its decision to lay off 900 employees worldwide.

On Tuesday, Sony Interactive Entertainment announced a round of layoffs across its development studios, including Insomniac and Naughty Dog in the US, and Guerrilla and Firesprite in the UK. PlayStation’s London Studio will close entirely.

Commenting on the news, Hulst confirmed that the lay offs have also resulted in the cancellation of unnamed game projects, which almost certainly includes London Studio’s online co-op game set in a fantasy London.

“Our goal at PlayStation Studios has always been to make the best games for PlayStation fans, and our global community of studios represent some of the most creative and talented teams within the gaming industry,” Hulst wrote.
“PlayStation 5 is in its fourth year, and we are at a stage where we need to step back and look at what our business needs. At the same time, our industry has experienced continuing and fundamental change which affects how we all create, and play, games.

“Delivering the immersive, narrative-driven stories that PlayStation Studios is known for, at the quality bar that we aspire to, requires a re-evaluation of how we operate.
“Delivering and sustaining social, online experiences – allowing PlayStation gamers to explore our worlds in different ways – as well as launching games on additional devices such as PC and Mobile, requires a different approach and different resources.”
He continued: “To take on these challenges, PlayStation Studios had to grow. We have brought brilliant and successful Studios into our family. We have invested in new technology and partnerships. We have recruited talent from across our industry and beyond.

“But growth itself is not an ambition. PlayStation Studios is committed to continually discovering ways to work together; collaborating and combining our efforts to ensure that we are able to craft games that push the boundaries of play and deliver what you expect from us.

“We looked at our studios and our portfolio, evaluating projects in various stages of development, and have decided that some of those projects will not move forward. I want to be clear that the decision to stop work on these projects is not a reflection on the talent or passion of team members.

“Our philosophy has always been to allow creative experimentation. Sometimes, great ideas don’t become great games. Sometimes, a project is started with the best intentions before shifts within the market or industry result in a change of plan.

“I am deeply saddened to see talented individuals leave the company. I have so much admiration, appreciation and respect for their work.

“PlayStation Studios will continue to be a creator-led organization driven by evolving our beloved franchises and bringing new gameplay experiences of the highest quality to our fans.”
Honestly, in light of the interim CEO's recent comments, it feels as if Sony/PlayStation's Japanese arm has finally realised the continued “Californication” of the PlayStation platform is unsustainable.

ferratilis

Magister
Despite PS5 having so few exclusives, they still sell like crazy on the used market. It took me an hour to sell mine. I played GT7 for a month or so, got fed up with it, tried some other games as well, then decided to try to sell it while it still has value. Immediately got like three messages after posting an ad. Sold it to a guy looking for a console for his two kids, for pretty much the same price I got it for. If not for children or normies who play FIFA/NBA/Call of Duty, these things wouldn't sell that well imo.

DemonKing

Arcane
If not for children or normies who play FIFA/NBA/Call of Duty, these things wouldn't sell that well imo.
I was a PC master race exclusive person for decades until I finally buckled and got a PS4 in 2017. While these days more and more titles that would have formerly been console exclusives are making their way to PC (and I still love my PC) I have to admit I do find it more comfortable to come home and sit on the couch and play a bit in the evening then go from my work PC to my home PC. Also it's great for couch co-op games with the kids.

Azdul

Magister
PlayStation Studios boss Hermen Hulst has said the platform holder is “reevaluating how we operate” as part of its decision to lay off 900 employees worldwide.

On Tuesday, Sony Interactive Entertainment announced a round of layoffs across its development studios, including Insomniac and Naughty Dog in the US, and Guerrilla and Firesprite in the UK. PlayStation’s London Studio will close entirely.

Commenting on the news, Hulst confirmed that the lay offs have also resulted in the cancellation of unnamed game projects, which almost certainly includes London Studio’s online co-op game set in a fantasy London.

“Our goal at PlayStation Studios has always been to make the best games for PlayStation fans, and our global community of studios represent some of the most creative and talented teams within the gaming industry,” Hulst wrote.
“PlayStation 5 is in its fourth year, and we are at a stage where we need to step back and look at what our business needs. At the same time, our industry has experienced continuing and fundamental change which affects how we all create, and play, games.

“Delivering the immersive, narrative-driven stories that PlayStation Studios is known for, at the quality bar that we aspire to, requires a re-evaluation of how we operate.
“Delivering and sustaining social, online experiences – allowing PlayStation gamers to explore our worlds in different ways – as well as launching games on additional devices such as PC and Mobile, requires a different approach and different resources.”
He continued: “To take on these challenges, PlayStation Studios had to grow. We have brought brilliant and successful Studios into our family. We have invested in new technology and partnerships. We have recruited talent from across our industry and beyond.

“But growth itself is not an ambition. PlayStation Studios is committed to continually discovering ways to work together; collaborating and combining our efforts to ensure that we are able to craft games that push the boundaries of play and deliver what you expect from us.

“We looked at our studios and our portfolio, evaluating projects in various stages of development, and have decided that some of those projects will not move forward. I want to be clear that the decision to stop work on these projects is not a reflection on the talent or passion of team members.

“Our philosophy has always been to allow creative experimentation. Sometimes, great ideas don’t become great games. Sometimes, a project is started with the best intentions before shifts within the market or industry result in a change of plan.

“I am deeply saddened to see talented individuals leave the company. I have so much admiration, appreciation and respect for their work.

“PlayStation Studios will continue to be a creator-led organization driven by evolving our beloved franchises and bringing new gameplay experiences of the highest quality to our fans.”
Honestly, in light of the interim CEO's recent comments, it feels as if Sony/PlayStation's Japanese arm has finally realised the continued “Californication” of the PlayStation platform is unsustainable.
TLDR summary:
1. Buy videogame industry before Microsoft does.
2. Fire everyone.
3. Replace them with AI.
4. Profit.

What a pathetic fucking console gen
Almost 5 years in and barely any games made for it
And now, when major studios were finally ditching the old ass, busted piece of shit that is the previous gen...

What makes it worse than the current Xbox?
I may very well be wrong, but the way I see it the current Xbox buisness plan is to essentially be a PC for people that can't (or don't want) into PC gaming
At least they seem to be filling a specific corner of the gaming market
Nintendo obviously have a well established niche
Even Valve has a place in the console market now - they filled the vaccum that nintendo's underpowered hardware left
What does Sony have going for the PS5?
PS5 have several advantages, but the thing is you need to partner it with expensive gear which is why the mouthbreathers who work in retail here on the codex don't get it. If you have your 1080p HDMI Arc tv from 2010 and think it's very modern, then sure I agree with you, you are to poor to utilize the PS5, keep on using the ps4 until your tv explodes in your living room. But for people who have joined the 2020s and have quality home theatre equipment the PS5 advantages is:
  • HDMI 2.1 support (120fps 10bit 4k HDR VRR).
  • Recently added Dolby Atmos support for games (natively and as a container for all games using the Sony 3D tempest audio engine).
  • Best 4k bluray player of all consoles and is competitive in quality to a 4k bluray player around $500
  • HDR remasters of good ps4 games
  • Cheap PCI 4 ssd with good storage (I have already used both of my M.2 NVMe SSD slots in the motherboard on the PC) so it can offload some of the storage requirement of modern games
  • Excellent controller with excellent haptic feedback and adaptive triggers that works really good for driving games saving you a good amount of money not needing to buy a wheel for simcades like EA Sports WRC.
It's a very good package deal for what you get, good 4k hdr bluray player that can drive game in high resolution in HDR with good storage and good controller.

But trusting you grognards you haven't seen a good HDR tv so it would just be wasted on you. But it is the single most impressive graphical change in the last decade. But it requires basically a flagship TV with at least 800nits if OLED and atleast 1500nits if QLED. You can go to IMAX to see what it can do. Also requires you to have a light controlled room to game in, otherwise the ambient light will destroy the contrast that HDR provides. Well you still have the resolution advantage and Wide Gamut Colour advantage I guess. It also requires some setup both on the TV and on each individual game to get right.

Path Tracing is just cope for idiot gamers playing Cyberpunk 2077 on a 1080p monitor. Pure idiocy. Path Tracing is a change atleast one order of magnitude less important than HDR. But you can get Path Tracing with a brand new graphiccard, while HDR actually requires you to upgrade your display, that's where basement dwellers and kids gets stuck.

Here are some resources to see which game have good HDR and Dolby Atmos implementations:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/hdr-games-analysed.23587/
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/dolby-atmos-for-gaming-thread.2941270/

So in conclusion, don't be poor.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

So in essence it's just a PS4 Pro Pro +++ Awesome Edition.

Yes, it has all the modern tech, HDR which looks great etc., but the problem is there are very few games for it, and how many of them would you play? In my case there is 0 games made for PS5 that I'd like to play.

Of course if you include PS4 remasters then there are more games, but it's not new stuff, it's just old games with graphics a bit improved. Personally I dislike remakes most of the time anyway. Actually, all the time so far? Remasters are better as they usually don't change gameplay, but they are just graphic improvements. Sure, you can play them, but... why bother if you have the original?

As Blu-Ray player it's probably great, idk, I still use PS3 as my DVD/Blu-Ray player... but of course it doesn't support the newest 4k+ Blu-Ray format (whatever it is called).

Unless you are a great fan of that Forza Horizon 5 or one of the other 5 games for PS5 and at the same time do not have a powerful PC then there's little reason to buy PS5.

Of course, if you don't care about the money and want to play PS4 games then sure, PS5 is a good option, but most people already played PS4 games on PS4 or PC or are not interested in them.

ferratilis

Magister
PS5 have several advantages, but the thing is you need to partner it with expensive gear which is why the mouthbreathers who work in retail here on the codex don't get it. If you have your 1080p HDMI Arc tv from 2010 and think it's very modern, then sure I agree with you, you are to poor to utilize the PS5, keep on using the ps4 until your tv explodes in your living room. But for people who have joined the 2020s and have quality home theatre equipment the PS5 advantages is:
  • HDMI 2.1 support (120fps 10bit 4k HDR VRR).
  • Recently added Dolby Atmos support for games (natively and as a container for all games using the Sony 3D tempest audio engine).
  • Best 4k bluray player of all consoles and is competitive in quality to a 4k bluray player around $500
  • HDR remasters of good ps4 games
  • Cheap PCI 4 ssd with good storage (I have already used both of my M.2 NVMe SSD slots in the motherboard on the PC) so it can offload some of the storage requirement of modern games
  • Excellent controller with excellent haptic feedback and adaptive triggers that works really good for driving games saving you a good amount of money not needing to buy a wheel for simcades like EA Sports WRC.
It's a very good package deal for what you get, good 4k hdr bluray player that can drive game in high resolution in HDR with good storage and good controller.

But trusting you grognards you haven't seen a good HDR tv so it would just be wasted on you. But it is the single most impressive graphical change in the last decade. But it requires basically a flagship TV with at least 800nits if OLED and atleast 1500nits if QLED. You can go to IMAX to see what it can do. Also requires you to have a light controlled room to game in, otherwise the ambient light will destroy the contrast that HDR provides. Well you still have the resolution advantage and Wide Gamut Colour advantage I guess. It also requires some setup both on the TV and on each individual game to get right.

Path Tracing is just cope for idiot gamers playing Cyberpunk 2077 on a 1080p monitor. Pure idiocy. Path Tracing is a change atleast one order of magnitude less important than HDR. But you can get Path Tracing with a brand new graphiccard, while HDR actually requires you to upgrade your display, that's where basement dwellers and kids gets stuck.

Here are some resources to see which game have good HDR and Dolby Atmos implementations:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/hdr-games-analysed.23587/
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/dolby-atmos-for-gaming-thread.2941270/

So in conclusion, don't be poor.
All of this is true, but what percentage of PS5 users do you think can utilize all these features? I'd say less than 10%. Even 4k is not yet ubiquitous, let alone OLED screens with good HDR. And you can bet that even many people who have OLED screens don't set them up right.

Just like most PC gamers use midrange hardware, most console owners probably play on some cheap LCD TV with a Razer headset or a pair of earbuds, it has nothing to do with Codexers being poor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom