Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Jesus, who the fuck cares about backward compatibility? Seriously, are you buying new hardware to play old crap over and over again?

'' Oh? You want to revisit those cool games from the previous generation on your new console, like you could do with the older consoles? And you even have the physical copies of those games? Well to bad goy fellow gamer. Our new NeetStation 360 doesn't suport backwards compatibility. Unless you pay for the internet subscription, and rent re-buy them as a digital copy in our online store for their full price. What? Some of those games aren't available for purchase in the store seeing as we didn't bother to include them as they weren't best sellers back in the day? Well you can always buy the old NeetBox, it's not like we ended their production years ago. And hey, maybe one day those games might received a soulless cash-grab remake, and then you can play them again in our new NiiTube. What? No!!! You can't use emulation that's ''ilegal''! REEEEEE!!! Lawyers!! Shut those emulator sites down NOW!!! ''

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane
' Oh? You want to revisit those cool games from the previous generation on your new console, like you could do with the older consoles? And you even have the physical copies of those games? Well to bad goy fellow gamer. Our new NeetStation 360 doesn't suport backwards compatibility. Unless you pay for the internet subscription, and re-buy them in our online store for their full price. What? Some of those games aren't available for purchase in the store seeing as we didn't bother to include them as they weren't best sellers back in the day? Well you can always buy the old NeetBox, it's not like we ended their production years ago. And hey, maybe one day those games might received a soulless cash-grab remake, and then you can play them again in our new NiiTube. What? No!!! You can't use emulation that's ''ilegal''! REEEEEE!!! Lawyers!! Shut those emulator sites down NOW!!! ''

Thats not true. You can use old dvds. I have a physical copy of red dead redemption for 360 and can run it fine on my one (and series X when I have it) Same goes for lost odysee. both gaes together cost me 10 euros or so. But you are right that it doesnt work with all the old games. The rebuy store thing is sony specific

if you care about backward compatibility why don't you buy a computer in the first place ffs

This point used to makes sense. It hasn't made as much sense since now you've got to do all kinds of shit to get some older games to run, and even then they may not work like they should on newer PCs. I've still got an old PC with XP hooked up so I've never had to deal with any of that shit if I want to play older games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
if you care about backward compatibility why don't you buy a computer in the first place ffs

This point used to makes sense. It hasn't made as much sense since now you've got to do all kinds of shit to get some older games to run, and even then they may not work like they should on newer PCs. I've still got an old PC with XP hooked up so I've never had to deal with any of that shit if I want to play older games.
BS. Windows 10 runs most old games without a problem. I haven't even encountered one which doesn't run, and I run games from the 80s.

Generic-Giant-Spider

What sort of GAMER doesn't keep a Windows 95 desktop nearby for emergency Elder Scrolls: Arena'ing like Todd Howard does?

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Can only afford one of these. I'm very tempted by the xbox because of gamepass. Playstation's version of this isn't available in my country. Still, I'm not sure I trust the build quality of microsoft's consoles. My friend is an xbox guy whose consoles break on him periodically. When I mention this he tells me how good Microsft's customer support has been in replacing them but I don't want to have to deal with customer support at all. Would rather have a console that doesn't break in the first place. Most likely will stick with PS.

Say what you will about consoles but it's pretty awesome for a poor student to be able to drop a few hundred and have access to the latest games for close to a decade. In a couple years when my PC is out of date and relegated to retro gaming the ps5 will just be getting started.

tritosine2k

Erudite
I just can't get over how Sony portables have quite monocled ancestry, first commercial use of More than Moore™ 3D stacked chips , stacked video ram(!!!!) at that, and now this x86 (under)powered carpet hovercraft with D.O.A. OLED TV's supposed to be good ?!

Venser

Erudite
Covid is the reason to be exited about PS5. When you can't go out and socialize, when you can't go to work, at least you can play on your new console lol

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Covid is the reason to be exited about PS5. When you can't go out and socialize, when you can't go to work, at least you can play on your new console lol
Thanks to covid I already almost cleared my steam backlog, even including low priority bundle games

Machocruz

Arcane
I go out to work and socialize, but the reason to not be excited is no fucking games worth buying these PoSes for, not Kotakuin political faggotry

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Look. I ordered a new laptop and went to fetch it this morning at 8:30.

The clerk told me : "I am sorry, I cannot give you your laptop before 10 AM because of the coronavirus.".

So why not.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Watch Dogs Legion at upscaled 4k/30 with raytracing enabled on cheap ass $299 series S.

Yep.
There is no next gen as of now.

Just a minor hardware refresh because of the law of disminishing returns. They are going to have a lot of trouble justifying why new games should not be able to run on a PS4 PRO or a XoneX.

And here goes another reminder about the fact that no actual next gen titles have been even announced.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Venser

Erudite
Funnily enough it loads most games faster than PS5.

Yeah, for some strange reason PS5 can't load games faster while working in the backward compatibility mode but that's not gonna be the case with new games. PS5 loading games in BW is around the same as PS4 Pro with an SSD installed.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Yep.
There is no next gen as of now.

Just a minor hardware refresh because of the law of disminishing returns. They are going to have a lot of trouble justifying why new games should not be able to run on a PS4 PRO or a XoneX.

And here goes another reminder about the fact that no actual next gen titles have been even announced.

Well, it is too early to have games that fully exploit the next gen capabilities. Early current gen in 2013 was garbage as well. Most games released in 2020/21 and perhaps well into 2022 are going to be designed for current gen systems and be multiplatform with few exceptions.

As for PC, you can expect most 2021 AAA games to need a Geforce RTX 3080 Ti to run at 1080p at constant 60fps with all features enabled. Retard developers on PC always think PC gamers spend thousands of dollars per year on their machines for some reason, then they complain when sales are not up to par and blame it on piracy.

Well, it is too early to have games that fully exploit the next gen capabilities.

Agree but why so many people rushed to buy hardware that has literally next to none games?

There was similar bullshit during PS4 release when people was buying console when there were only Knack and some shmup available... and they even pretended they liked these games just to justify purchase.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's 3000+ games to play at launch on Xbox.
4000+ on Playstation.
And most of them run better.
Like noone installed CS:GO on their new PC to check out fps ever.

Its not a cutoff like in 2013.
They are pretty efficient cheap PC like machines now. Its acually a decent poorfag solution.
Theres a $299 machine that runs games with raytracing ffs.

Another example, ACG just reviewed AC Valhalla. He couldnt get the game to run 4k/60 on his i9 and 2080ti. But its buttery smooth 4k/60 on a $499 Series X. This is awesome news. Be happy motherfuckers. You get a high performance for a poorfag price.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom