Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm not a big hardware expert but is it true that the ps5's gpu is better than a 2070 super? I just brought one early this year in hopes of being set for awhile but hearing this news kinda bums me out considering I paid more for the GPU than what a non-scalped PS5 costs.

Teraflops aren't everything. For example, a GTX 1080 has more teraflops than an RTX 2070, however the RTX 2070 is far superior in game performance. Like, by quite a large degree. Architecture improvements do matter. Your RTX 2070 Super is comparable overall to the PS5 GPU (probably better than the PS5 when it comes down to brute force), plus you get the exta benefit of complete freedom to customize your gaming experience to your strict tastes, which is not possible on console. You can't even remap buttons on console unless the devs allow it; considering I am a huge fan of control scheme customization on a per-game basis I'm happy enough to pay the PC tax just for that liberty.

There is simply no comparison to being able to play a game exactly how you want to play it, at the refresh rate you want, at the fps target you want, with the fps cap you want, with the exact ultra-autistic control scheme that you want to use, at the resolution you want, with the settings exactly how you want and modified via .ini files, while ALT-tabbing between the game and shoutbox.

There is nothing that can compare to that game playing freedom. As any PC gamer will tell you: tweaking the games is usually more fun than playing them.

Also, the other thing to keep in mind is that consoles don't target Ultra settings or "4k native" either, whereas on PC you have complete freedom to customize your refresh rate, your target frame-rate and/or fps cap, and all sorts of other graphical settings. Watch Dogs: Legion on the PS5 uses lower-than-low settings for the RTX features and medium/high equivalent settings for the other graphical options, coupled with a horrible 30fps frame cap that produces judder because apparently it's actually capped to 31fps under the hood, whereas on PC you can pick and choose the settings and the target frame rate, for example using your RTX 2070 super to play the game without RTX reflections but at 100fps if you want, something you would not be able to do on the console version of the game, or go for a custom 50Hz refresh rate and lock the game to 50fps instead and play with some RTX reflections on medium and the other graphical options on Ultra, etc.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Also, the other thing to keep in mind is that consoles don't target Ultra settings or "4k native" either, whereas on PC you have complete freedom to customize your refresh rate, your target frame-rate and/or fps cap, and all sorts of other graphical settings. Watch Dogs: Legion on the PS5 uses lower-than-low settings for the RTX features and medium/high equivalent settings for the other graphical options, coupled with a horrible 30fps frame cap that produces judder because apparently it's actually capped to 31fps under the hood, whereas on PC you can pick and choose the settings and the target frame rate, for example using your RTX 2070 super to play the game without RTX reflections but at 100fps if you want, something you would not be able to do on the console version of the game, or go for a custom 50Hz refresh rate and lock the game to 50fps instead and play with some RTX reflections on medium and the other graphical options on Ultra, etc.

Yeah, this is something that always annoys me about my fellow PC gamers. They don't understand that consoles tend to run at much lower settings, it's not all about resolution. Everyone is like "Red Dead 2 runs at 4k native on Xbox One X but my 1080 can barely run it!!!" Yes it runs in 4k on the Xbox One X, but it also runs at 30fps and low-medium, sometimes LOWER than PC's low, settings. If you match console settings in games like Watch Dogs, you'll have no problem running them on a mid-range rig. But people want ULLLLTRAAA SETTINGS, because human nature I guess. Ubisoft are the worst too, their ultra settings are never optimized well at all. First thing to do in an Ubisoft game is try out very high, not ultra, then lower where you need to.

A horse of course

my fellow PC gamers

H5M1xo6.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Yeah, this is something that always annoys me about my fellow PC gamers. They don't understand that consoles tend to run at much lower settings, it's not all about resolution. Everyone is like "Red Dead 2 runs at 4k native on Xbox One X but my 1080 can barely run it!!!" Yes it runs in 4k on the Xbox One X, but it also runs at 30fps and low-medium, sometimes LOWER than PC's low, settings. If you match console settings in games like Watch Dogs, you'll have no problem running them on a mid-range rig. But people want ULLLLTRAAA SETTINGS, because human nature I guess. Ubisoft are the worst too, their ultra settings are never optimized well at all. First thing to do in an Ubisoft game is try out very high, not ultra, then lower where you need to.
Finally someone said this. 100% agree, people advocating that consoles run the game better for cheaper forget that you can match the same level of quality with mid-low level PCs. Because console graphics are not as detailed. And on that level, the cost adventage of consoles disappear.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I asked the kids in my class what they wanted for Christmas. The majority wanted a PS5, and some wanted an Xbox Series X. One girl already has a release PS5. When the boys found out, they went nuts. These things are going to fly off shelves, left and right.

Consoles are not only about price. It's their ease of use. Most people just want to start their console and boot up their games. No fiddling, no thinking. Easy to communicate with your friends. No hassle. Of over 400 kids in the school I work at, I know that at least 200 of them own a console. Those who choose to play on computer play, Minecraft, Roblox or Fortnite.

I like to buy new parts for my PC, and upgrade it. Fiddle with settings, ini. files and modding, but 100's of millions of people don't. That's why consoles is an easy sell.

Azdul

Magister
These things are going to fly off shelves, left and right.
This year everything is an easy sell. Try to find Geforce 30??, or Radeon 6800, or Ryzen 5???, or even electric guitar - everything is sold out.

Consoles are not only about price. It's their ease of use. Most people just want to start their console and boot up their games. No fiddling, no thinking. Easy to communicate with your friends. No hassle.
I believe Sony strategy is outdated. You need to buy a console, than buy games, and for the right console, and then attach credit card and pay for online - it's all so confusing and so much hassle.

In few years it will be just Game Pass, that runs (or streams) games selected by Microsoft / Amazon / Google, on any hardware for a flat subscription fee.

I wonder if backward compatibility was introduced because parents couldn't get the difference between original Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox One S, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. And how many parents / grandparents bought the game for Playstation, just not for the Playstation with the right number at the end.

Venser

Erudite

TL;DW:
  • SoC (CPU/GPU) temperatures are probably in the 75-80 degree range, most likely fine.
  • Memory runs very hot, at 95 degrees!
  • Voltage regulators run at an ok but not great temperature, around 70 degrees.
  • Panels on are hotter than panels off, by as much as 5 degrees in some cases
  • Console takes a while to cool after shutdown, faster if the panels are off.
  • Huge, high-powered fan that could move a lot of air provided a proper fan curve.
  • Memory heat dissipation design is poor, relying on the steel board cover to remove heat.
  • Consumed roughly 210W during gaming, idle draw is 100w.
  • Noise levels are relatively quiet compared to standard PC components.
  • Fan has a gradual ramp down after closing a game and returning to the menu.
  • Fan is very powerful, but doesn't run fast. Thermals seem to have been sacrificed for noise.

Last edited:
Was wondering to myself today while thinking about getting 13 Sentinels how long the PS4 (and I guess Xbox One) will run into this new generation. It's basically an inevitability that the PS4 will go a few years into the PS5, after all you still had some stuff like MGSV coming out for the 360 and PS3 towards the end of 2015 despite the new stuff having come out at the end of 2013 in November. But the PS4 has sold a lot more than the 360 and PS4, it's one of the best selling consoles there is...and the PS5 can still play PS4 games, so you still have a PS4 user install base with the PS5. Makes me wonder if it won't last something like twice as long. I mean, there's probably a lot of smaller Japanese developers like Atlus (they released Persona 5 on the PS3 in Japan in 2016) and such that'd be perfectly happy staying with the thing that's cheaper to make games for; and since the Switch is pretty big there's still going to be a number of third party developers makes stuff for that less powerful hardware too.

I'm thinking the tail to the PS4 will be longer than we've ever seen it before. Especially since it sounds like Japan isn't exactly jumping to get these new systems, and may not be for a while.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
You have a very nice room there.

Thanks, was an issue to find a place to put the xbox. Lying down it doesn't fit beneath the tv, and standing up I could only put it on the floor level to the subhoofer. Both the series x and the ps5 have a very difficult format to fit with entertainment system.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So my xbox series x arrived this week, installed a bunch of gamepass stuff... my wife is the one giving it the most use tho, Tetris connect. Quite a beautiful looking and sounding game, not expecting.

Yeah Tetris Effect is great. I think it got less attention than it should have on PC because of the Epic Store shit, but I enjoyed it a lot. Even better with visuals and sound that Lumines, and with (IMO) better gameplay.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Consoles are not only about price. It's their ease of use. Most people just want to start their console and boot up their games. No fiddling, no thinking

Man the days of buying a console, boot it up, place the disc and play away ended in the PS3/360 era

Now when you boot it for the 1st time you have to leave the damn thing on throughout the night so it can configure itself. Then you have to download and install the software updates, that's another 3 hours at least. Then when you insert the disc you can't play it right away, as you have to install the game so that's another hour, hour and half. And of course after that you have to download the 30Gb 1st day update to fix most of the game, so another hour down the drain.
So you're looking at a whole fucking day of maintence before the brats can enjoy it.

Nowadays you're better with PC's in it comes to expidience and comfort. Just install the game and you're good to go.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nowadays you're better with PC's in it comes to expidience and comfort. Just install the game and you're good to go.

I haven't really used a console in forever, but I feel like there's still a large "fuss with it" gap. I just bought my first NVME drive in a black Friday sale and now I have to google how to install it, I have to take parts out of my machine to access the slot and then reinstall those, I have to google how to clone my SATA drive to the NVME drive or do a fresh Windows install on it, which would require reinstalling a bunch of random programs like RivaTuner and whatnot, not to mention drivers. Unless consoles have changed a LOT since I last used them then I still think there's a large difference.

Venser

Erudite
I haven't really used a console in forever, but I feel like there's still a large "fuss with it" gap. I just bought my first NVME drive in a black Friday sale and now I have to google how to install it, I have to take parts out of my machine to access the slot and then reinstall those, I have to google how to clone my SATA drive to the NVME drive or do a fresh Windows install on it, which would require reinstalling a bunch of random programs like RivaTuner and whatnot, not to mention drivers. Unless consoles have changed a LOT since I last used them then I still think there's a large difference.

Same with the consoles. I had to watch a bunch of tutorials when I was swapping PS4 HDD for an SSD and had to copy OS and all of my files. Then had to rebuild the database because some games weren't working.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Dude you've bought a competent to install in a desktop, of course that's more complicated than buying a console

But most dudes that use PC as gaming platform, simply buy the components and then pay for the store guys to assemble it and install and configure the OS
Then all they have to do is pick the thing up at the shop (or pay for it's delivery), boot up, install steam, install a game and boom
2 hours after unboxing and they're already playing fucking CSGO or LOL while chatting up in Discord

While with the XBox and PS you have to configure so much that 1st time that it ain't even funny (well not funny for the console peasants that have to sit through all of that, I certaintly found it hilarious when a mate told that, the day after trying to rub it in my face that he was going to play Bloodborne back in 2015)

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2

b7thbj5.jpg

upload_2020-11-25_17-19-39.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom