Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

deadmeme

Learned
Just realized that the next gen games will be 80$. Who is the target audience here? Why would you buy a console that will have worse graphics than a PC barely any exclusives and games that cost 33% more?

This especially goes for the XBOX where as far as I'm aware, everything will be on PC as well.

Can anyone explain what's going on here?
Xboxes have Gamepass, which is to be the main selling point of theirs.

Dunno what Sony came up with.

Microsoft doesn't really care if you play on Xbox or Windows as long as you pay for the gamepass.

Gamepass system is the worst. Just give me the game that I can buy. I do not care about Fallout 12, I want Morrowind. You can get Morrowind for 15 dollars on GOG, while the Gamepass costs 10. I will surly play Morrowind thousands of hours, and for that I need to overpay games market value. It is bullshit. I have boxed and GOG version of the game, but now with the Microsoft's acquisition of the company, they can withdraw it from anywhere except for Microsoft stores.

Cromwell

Arcane
Gamepass system is the worst. Just give me the game that I can buy. I do not care about Fallout 12, I want Morrowind. You can get Morrowind for 15 dollars on GOG, while the Gamepass costs 10. I will surly play Morrowind thousands of hours, and for that I need to overpay games market value. It is bullshit. I have boxed and GOG version of the game, but now with the Microsoft's acquisition of the company, they can withdraw it from anywhere except for Microsoft stores.

it costs 15 dollar in the ms store (xbox version). I dont understand the rest, how do you overpay?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just realized that the next gen games will be 80$. Who is the target audience here? Why would you buy a console that will have worse graphics than a PC barely any exclusives and games that cost 33% more?

This especially goes for the XBOX where as far as I'm aware, everything will be on PC as well.

Xboxes have Gamepass, which is to be the main selling point of theirs.

Dunno what Sony came up with.

Microsoft doesn't really care if you play on Xbox or Windows as long as you pay for the gamepass.

Even if they withdraw it from GOG, you can still access it from your library. This is how it always worked.

deadmeme

Learned

it costs 15 dollar in the ms store (xbox version). I dont understand the rest, how do you overpay?

You need to pay it 10 Dollars a month.

deadmeme

Learned
Isn't the Gamestore system, where you pay for subscription, than you are allowed to download everything?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Isn't the Gamestore system, where you pay for subscription, than you are allowed to download everything?
Its not everything. Mostly Microsofts first party on Console/PC/Cloud, some AAA shit and bunch of indies. Indies are usually day one releases too. Count in 80+ titles on EAPlay in there too.
Console is the biggest one, I'd guess 300+ titles.

If you want to buy, you can and you even get 20% off as a Gamepass subcriber. On EA games you get 10% off.

Bunch of perks too, some ingame crap but also like a free month of Disney+ that came in handy the other day, 3 months of Discord Nitro etc. Also there are Gamepass quests, more you play you get points to use for stuff, like another free month of Gamepass.

Its not a perfect system but I wouldnt call it a ripoff, there is some value in there.

User was nabbed fit

Because there's no excuse to not have it. It's effectively the same architecture as before.

My question is why is it getting so much attention this time? I think it's 'cause there ain't no real next gen games as said above.

It's something Phil Spencer has been working on since he took over xbox, we're finally seeing it come to full fruition now.

It was a selling point of the original 60gb ps3, before they removed the EE chip to lower cost of the machine. As for the One and PS4, I think people were just desperate for new machines at that point, the PS360 era was absurdly long.
Ngl, I would've bought a PS5 if it enabled me to play all the ps1,2 and 3 games I gathered through the decades. Completely skipped over the latest generation and looks like I'll be doing that again.

Have you tried emulators? Cos you can do all that pretty comfortably now. Like for 95% of the worthwhile games anyway.

Anyway, I got a PS5 because I'm lucky enough that it's not too much money to me... and over a 5-7 year span, there'll probably be a handful of good exclusives worth playing. Also, I've held off on playing Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 because apparently it runs at 60 FPS on the PS5, and loads faster etc. All in all, at the very least the PS5 will be a much faster PS4, which already has games worth playing. Probably going to end up donating my PS4 Pro now as a result.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Poorfag Xbox reviewed at Digital Foundry

Could be worth it if you got an external ssd already to plug into, otherwise get the BBX.

Silentstorm

Learned

Easy, not everyone has money...that's honestly the reason behind the Xbox, a lot of people don't want to pay a ton of money to get a great PC nor want to buy parts and learn how to make one, and they also don't like the idea of upgrading a PC after a while.

Xbox and consoles however, give a direct gaming experience without people having to buy new parts or anything for quite a few years, and the expectation is that every game will run at optimal levels(or that at least every owner will have the same experience) all the time, plus 500 bucks for a console or less is potentially less than you would spend on a decently powerful PC.

And some people just enjoy the idea of playing on a console over a PC, but the Xbox is very much supposed to be a poorfag PC that is at least better than what many poorfags already have, particularly many gaming laptops.

But to people who know their stuff and have money, the Xbox is way less ideal, i have genuinely seen people that made PC rigs that cost them 3000 dollars or more wondering about this, and they never consider "Maybe people just don't want to spend more than 500 dollars on a gaming platform that will run everything available to it?" because why should them, they clearly have more money than poorfags.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But to people who know their stuff and have money, the Xbox is way less ideal, i have genuinely seen people that made PC rigs that cost them 3000 dollars or more wondering about this, and they never consider "Maybe people just don't want to spend more than 500 dollars on a gaming platform that will run everything available to it?" because why should them, they clearly have more money than poorfags.

This idea you need a $3,000 PC is silly shit meant to make consoles seem like even more of a value than they actually are. You could build a $1,000 PC tomorrow that will compete with the Series X its whole lifespan. Is $1,000 twice as much as the console? Yes. Is it $3,000? No. Also if you simply wait a year or two, you can use that same $1,000 to blow away the Series X in every way, and we likely will barely see any real "next-gen" games that whole time anyway.

Throw in the fact you have to pay for online with consoles, and that a lot of people likely get more than one console or get a "pro" version later, and the price savings really isn't as massive as people act like it is. The real thing consoles have over PC is convenience. Plug in an HDMI cord to your television and plop down on the couch and go. Come home from work, hit a button and start playing in two seconds. That's the appeal of consoles.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
$1000 is a bit wishthinking.
8 core CPU, 2080/3070 GPU, 16 gb ram, nvme ssd, plus decent motherboard, PSU and the case.
About 2k dorra and thats without the monitor.

1080p machine for 1k, sure. 4k/60 machine? Good luck. Plus what is that piece of shit gonna run in 3-4 years when they really optimize for consoles instead of this cross gen shit? Lower the res to 720p?

what is that piece of shit gonna run in 3-4 years when they really optimize for consoles

757.jpg

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Why? To push people onto Gamepass. Subscription service is the future, why sell to people when you can rent it to them, see Netflix and Spotify. Plenty of 'people' are happily little consumer drones meekly paying a monthly fee to rent access to media. Its a shit system that mongs and fucktards champion because they have been cultivated into being the consummate consumers.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
8 core CPU, 2080/3070 GPU, 16 gb ram, nvme ssd, plus decent motherboard, PSU and the case.

1080p machine for 1k, sure. 4k/60 machine? Good luck. Plus what is that piece of shit gonna run in 3-4 years when they really optimize for consoles instead of this cross gen shit? Lower the res to 720p?

I don't think the Series X will be doing native 4k60 for long. It can't even do that with launch games built for the PS4, from what I've seen so far on Digital Foundry. Also I don't know why people always mention monitors, you need a TV for consoles you know. Anyway if you're starting from absolute scratch then it would go over $1,000 I guess, but in most cases you're upgrading and have things like a case and PSU already. The core "compete with a Series X" stuff you need is a Ryzen 3700 and RTX 2070S, which would run you like $750-ish? Of course you'd be much more sensible to wait a month or so and get a 5700 and 3070, which would beat the Series X handily for the same price. Then get the cheapest mobo and memory and you're good to go.

But honestly all this back and forth really means little because I agree consoles are cheaper, at least in up front costs. And if you want to run at very high settings then PCs will be a lot more. However I still think, at the end of the day, it is convenience that is the console gamer's best friend. Plug and play, no worries or stresses. That's why tons of people who COULD afford PCs use consoles. And I'm not knocking them! I totally get the convenience aspect, and sometimes wish I had it.

It is worth stating (or restating, since PC gamers don't shut up about this) how much more expensive the games themselves are on console. If you intend to play a variety of releases, the PC versions are typically discounted sooner, faster, and for more than their console counterparts. You can occasionally find decent sales on physical copies of console games, but if you intend to play only 10 new games (within six months of release or thereabouts) over a console's lifespan, it's not unreasonable to think that you could easily get any of those for 50% off on PC and that's 300 bucks you aren't spending right there. Plus, you can usually get them digitally and digital console game discounts tend to be pretty lame. Add in yearly online fees, and you're quickly paying at least as much as a good PC, minus the possibility for incremental upgrades, general functionality, customization, etc. that you get with a PC. Not that any of this is new info, just that I really do think the math supports the idea that if you game regularly and play tons of stuff, PC wins out fast - and that's just in terms of costs, not even in terms of inherent backwards compatibility or emulation.

But honestly all this back and forth really means little because I agree consoles are cheaper, at least in up front costs. And if you want to run at very high settings then PCs will be a lot more. However I still think, at the end of the day, it is convenience that is the console gamer's best friend. Plug and play, no worries or stresses. That's why tons of people who COULD afford PCs use consoles. And I'm not knocking them! I totally get the convenience aspect, and sometimes wish I had it.
I would back this 100% as being the primary reason for owning a console, beyond exclusive games. My motherboard is showing signs of aging and I need to spend a solid chunk of change to swap it out. I'll be upgrading my stupidly old CPU and RAM while I'm at it. I know what I'm doing and I'm not concerned about the installation process, but it'll definitely be a lot more work than "I plug my Playstation into the TV". I'd wager that even a prebuilt, hyper vanilla PC will result in significantly more maintenance and care than a game console.

Silentstorm

Learned
Sadly, console gamers buy anything so why give the equivalent of digital store sales on PC for theirs?

Heck, one of Game Pass's selling points is that games on it may also get discounts...but it's not ones you would get on Steam/GOG for the most part, and those don't require a monthly subscription either.

That being said, Sony rushing in with making games more expensive only made the Game Pass look more attractive to console gamers...and it won't matter since far more people talk about, buy and watch content related to the PS5 after the disaster that was Xbox One making people go for the PS4 in droves.

Seriously, Microsoft, start making more and bigger sales on the Xbox store and you should manage to steal some people from Sony and Nintendo, or at least make Game Pass's discounts bigger, after all, people who already have Game Pass typically get enough time to play any game there to completion before it may get removed, you need more than 10 or 15% discount in quite a few cases.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
If you intend to play a variety of releases, the PC versions are typically discounted sooner, faster, and for more than their console counterparts.

Even without discounts PC games are cheaper.
PC games that cost more that 50 euros are the minority, while on consoles the reverse is observable practice.
Yesterday I went to a shopping mall in long ass time, and stopped by a eletronic store.
PS5 games all cost 80 euros.
80 euros for the new CoD, NBA game, diversity quota Spider-man and a questionable remake of a 10 year old game
Even PS4 and XBone games were all at least 60 euros.
Meanwhile in the Computer games shelf Doom Eternal, REmake 2 and Witcher 3 GOTY were all at 40 euros (R6 Siege at 15 and SW Squadrons at 50).

Last edited:

Silentstorm

Learned
Heck, to contrast that, Doom Eternal is 69,99 euros on Xbox, 55,99 with Game Pass.

I wonder why the games are so expensive, people already pay subscriptions to play online and you'd think digital games would be at least cheaper to compensate, after all, you don't have to print anything for covers and burn and sell CD's or anything, just upload some screenshots and the game for download, it's the exact same thing for PC.

Can anyone tell me why the prices are so different?

Caim

Arcane
Heck, to contrast that, Doom Eternal is 69,99 euros on Xbox, 55,99 with Game Pass.

I wonder why the games are so expensive, people already pay subscriptions to play online and you'd think digital games would be at least cheaper to compensate, after all, you don't have to print anything for covers and burn and sell CD's or anything, just upload some screenshots and the game for download, it's the exact same thing for PC.

Can anyone tell me why the prices are so different?
Bloated marketing budgets and greedy publishers.

Silentstorm

Learned
I wonder if it's also lack of competition and alternatives, plus Steam/GOG and others popularized digital games before they really started to focus on digital games too.

Just saying, i don't think there is a Humble Bundle and various others equivalent for consoles, i am not sure if they have Keys or codes for specific games, and consoles all only have one online store, what, you will use something other than PSN or MS Store to buy games for the PS5 and Xbox Series, same goes for the Switch which has it's own store.

Just saying, even though it's the dominant force, Steam still has to worry about GOG, EGS, Humble Bundle and various others, and sites can just sell Steam Keys, it gives more incentive for Valve or others to make discounts to get attention and sell games, you don't really get that with consoles, you either use the main store for your console or nothing.

...I think, i will be honest, i have always been a PC gamer and never owned a console, maybe you can use other stores but i never heard about them.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Nothing can beat economy of scale and selling consoles at a loss, but you are so far off that is not even funny

Full build and you can even get it cheaper if willing to snipe deals:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sRHNz7

Azdul

Magister
Plus what is that piece of shit gonna run in 3-4 years when they really optimize for consoles instead of this cross gen shit?
How to optimize your game for consoles:
1. Lower the level of detail till you reach between 25 and 35 fps on average on given hardware.
2. Lock refresh rate to 30 fps.
3. Change the price to 80$.
4. If customers complain about performance, tell them to buy 'Pro' console.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
technology needs to move on, we'll get there eventually, but we're getting way ahead of ourselves trying to push it on current mainstream hardware, especially consoles.

Not really, it's always been like this
The next generation of consoles are always used to push the next big tech thing

The og xbox pushed for online multiplayer, and it become the norm in the PS3/360 generation.

Meanwhile those consoles pushed for 1080p and digital services, which became the norm by the time the PS4/Xbone rolled in.

This last in turn pushed for 4k, VR and streaming. Fortunately streaming hasn't succeeded (yet, because those bastards sure are trying). VR has become far more cheaper and common to the point where major releases either feature a VR mode or are completely made for VR (i.e. VR is here to stay). 4k is supported by pretty much every game now, and 4k screens (and even 2k) are starting to replace 1080p

Now raytracing has already being pushed for 2 years now
And the PS5 + XboxXx were made to specifically support that tech
So you bet your ass that almost every AAA game of the next 5 years are going to have it
By 2025/26 this WILL be the norm

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom