Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Modron

Arcane
Fanatical is doing a repeat of their stacked adventure game bundle: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/intrigue-bundle
  • Blacksad: Under the Skin
  • Agatha Christie - Hercule Poirot: The First Cases
  • Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders
  • Syberia 1-3
  • Murder Mystery Machine
  • Still Life 1 & 2
  • The Descendant - Complete Season (Episodes 1-5)
  • Amerzone: The Explorer's Legacy
All for 4.99, hey a dollar less than last time.

Since I am here, have a release:

Came across something novel here with a coop parser driven adventure game:

Here is a free one:

Last edited:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
For Phantasmafags, also available on GOG

Features:
  • A real haunted house, captured in detailed 360 views.
  • Full 360 exploration and soundtrack recorded on location.
  • Interact with ghost-hunting gadgets to investigate.
  • Encounter real-world paranormal activity based on witness statements.
  • Puzzles and ghost identification.
  • Experience a haunting based on eye witness accounts.
  • Completely AI driven phenomena, the ghosts are aware!
  • A complete story, with a satisfying conclusion.

Neuromancer

Augur
This was remastered a bit:
They now want money for this?

:nocountryforshitposters:

I remember playing The White Chamber many years ago.
As a Freeware adventure it was okay, but not more.

For my taste, it contained too much senseless gore just to look more edgy and "scary".
The story - especially the ending - was a little bit retarded. It contained the usual and often repeated horror tropes of its time.
The game is also very short (This is ok for a free game, but not, when you have to pay).

TLDR: Try to get the free version if you're interested (and if it's still available somewhere).
Not worth paying for this "remaster".

Don Peste

Arcane
A spacefaring point and click adventure with a surf rock soundtrack got released.

Dexter Stardust - Adventures in Outer Space
Space! Dexter Stardust barely escaped when the Vreesians, inhabitants of the menacing Planet X, sent a fleet of robots to destroy all life on Earth. Now, twenty years later, a mechanical man from the 10th planet seeks to communicate to Dexter a very important message - he is the key to saving both humans and Vreesians. Play the taco-loving Dexter Stardust as he, and his good friend Aurora, go on the greatest adventure of their lives and discover the mystery of the Robot from the Planet X!

Classic Adventure Gameplay
InventoryUseSmaller.gif

• A classic point and click adventure; you can walk, talk, and interact with everything in your surroundings. Use and pick up inventory items to solve puzzles in over 100 unique scenes.

5 Episodes in One Game
EpisodeSelect_Smaller.gif

• Playing Dexter Stardust is like watching back to back episodes of a Saturday morning cartoon! With 5 total episodes, feel free to jump to or replay any episode you’d like, at any time.

Fully Voice Acted
SandyTalk.gif

• All characters, cutscenes, and gameplay are completely voice acted!

An Adventure for Everyone
BayardTalking.gif

Currently free on Amazon Gaming.

Modron

Arcane
Been a lot of stuff this last week or so you might not have noticed:
This IF has a demo:

Rusty Lake released another game which still has a demo:

Horror Point and Click with a demo:

Jesse Makkonen released another one his adventures, has a demo:

Chinese indie adventure

I played the demo of this and found there was too much walking left from right in between segments with different gameplay mechanics.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1568970/Torn_Away/

Cheap CYOA/VN with different endings:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2434490/Queen_of_Moths/

Some short free stuff:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2567170/Youre_Not_Family/

Don Peste

Arcane
This wasn't posted here but Police Quest 2 got a conversion to point and click:
English patch here: https://github.com/Pakolmo/PQ2PnC
Nice, I hated suffering through it via text parser in a playthrough a few years back so this will be handy for future replays.
They started working on the conversion of Laura Bow 1: https://github.com/Pakolmo/LB1PnC

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Apparently, the developers of Cosmology of Kyoto actually made another game:

Link. Unfortunately, this unearthing does not coincide with an upload of the game disc.

toughasnails

The excellent Submachine series from way back in the flash days, all bundled together with updated art.
The price is a bit steeper compared to other flash adventure rereleases but then again there is a fair bit packed in there
This includes all the games in the main series, as well as Submachine: Ancient Adventure, Submachine: 32 Chambers, and Submachine: FLF.
and these games are stellar.

Here's hoping he'll do the same for Daymare Town series.

Modron

Arcane
The excellent Submachine series from way back in the flash days, all bundled together with updated art.
I was wondering if that previous game he brought to steam was some flash era game that a lot of people had played since it had a ton of people giving it rave reviews with little to no other press.

Edit: since I am here anyways this was releasted a week ago.

Last edited:

toughasnails

I was wondering if that previous game he brought to steam was some flash era game that a lot of people had played since it had a ton of people giving it rave reviews with little to no other press.
Slice of Sea was actually a brand new game of his, not a re-release.
Gorgeous to look at but I must admit that I found it a bit annoying due to combination of pixel hunting within scenes that were far more packed with detail than anything in his old stuff and the whole thing becoming a bit too open & large for its own good. I'll have to retry it at some point.

BasicMagician

Literate
It's handy to have a centralized spot for adventure game news. I'll be sure to drop any interesting updates I come across here.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
more Theropods dev hell

Hey there Dinofans!
We hope you're all doing great and are happy to see you staying pumped for Theropods. It's been a little while since our last update, and we want to reassure you that we're making hasty progress.

UNITY

The big news we want to share is that we've decided to make a major change. We've shifted from using the Unreal Engine to Unity a few months BACK.
c48ddf227fc96cb7f5864022ad0b2355_original.gif
HEY, DON’T ROLL YOUR EYES, PLEASE! THIS IS THE LAST TIME WE CHANGE ENGINES, WE PROMISE.
After some careful thinking, we've realized that Unity is a better fit for adventure game development, especially using the Power Quest tool. It is built specifically for 2D point-and-click adventure games which is perfect for us. It is made by the amazing PowerHoof devs.
With Unreal, we were feeling worried that we would come across problems as we progressed with making the game and therefore feel a lot safer using Unity.
This means that Sarah has now gone back to being our programmer. Thankfully, Power Quest is quite similar to AGS (the engine that we made our demo in), which has made the transition more comfortable. She has been hard at work recreating the current demo and beyond.
As you can see below, we're confident this change will speed up the development process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8WJlDDsH7Q

FUNDING

We're still actively searching for a publisher to work with. Other than funding, a publisher will help with getting the game to as many people as possible through marketing and porting.

We've been pitching nonstop all year, so that we can start working on the game full-time instead of part-time. It's not because we're not passionate about the project; it's because we need to pay the bills and keep the lights on. So your support and patience mean the world to us during this longer-than-we-anticipated journey.

ADVENTURE X

Our team (Kostas, Sarah and Matt) is going to AdventureX in London on the 4-5th November! If you don’t know what this is, it’s a place full of adventure game nerds and it’s awesome. If you are going, come and say hi!
As usual, we are streaming the development progress, here is our last stream if you want to see how a dinosaur sausage is made.
https://youtu.be/QlWWEprMPjQ?si=Pydnh1RnZfl4ZSpj&t=253
Thanks for being part of the Theropods family, your support means the world to us!
Till next year (I am kidding, it will be sooner),
- Kostas and Sarah

Durq

Novice
Wasn't Theropods supposed to be released in June of 2021? Another Kickscammer project gone south.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The demo for Theropods was made with AGS.. I wouldn't back anything that wasn't made with AGS, guess I lucked out when I missed this.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Isn't Unity switching to that annoying revenue model where they want money for every purchase someone makes of your game? What a terrible decision to make.

Modron

Arcane
This bundle has got a few adventure games in it among other things: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-premiere-bundle
  • Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard
  • Happy Game
  • Verne

Edit since I am here, this previously available on itch free adventure game was added to steam for those of you who like to have everything in one place:

and this pretty looking horror adventure that has a demo came out:

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
anyone have impressions of Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard? it looks like some bog standard SCUMM game, not sure about it.. Also the art looks bad and leans towards fursona shit.. saw it has like 80+ achievements too which I think kind of insane for this type of game and makes me think there's a ton of bullshit in it or it's overly padded

Modron

Arcane
I think Jermu played it plus it still has a demo out there if you want to get a taste of it (blue button in the right hand column type of demo in case you didn't see it).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom