Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The state of Oblivion in 2012: Is it a fun game yet?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I second the posts that have been made about Nehrim and also recommend it. It's a good total conversion, haven't finished it cause I got tired of it but it's fun, especially in the beginning and towards the middle (the dwarven city is especially nice), some nice dungeon design and much more challenge than the level scaled Oblivion.

Try it, it's good.

DraQ

Arcane
After the massive disappointment of Skyrim I'm left with the urge to play a good open world game.

Long story short, do mods make Oblivion an enjoyable hiking simulator yet? I know there are a veritable fuckton of mods for Morrowind, but I haven't kept up with the state of Oblivion mods at all. I barely played the game at all, actually, but the level scaling garbage ruined the game for me.

If Oblivion can somehow be modded into an enjoyable game, what mods are recommended? Or is the game just beyond hope of ever being anything enjoyable on the level that Morrowind is?
You can mod oblivious into a semi-enjoyable, guilty pleasure, mindless H&S (like Diablo, only derpier, blander and not nearly as fun) with several to few dozens gigs of carefully selected mods, but no amount of mods can elevate oblivious to the level of even unmodded Skyrim, so any suggestion that it could be modded to the lofty heights of Morrowind/Daggerfall is best dismissed with derisive laughter.
:obviously:

Stabwound

Arcane
Downloading Nehrim, I totally forgot about this mod. It looks like it might be worth a shot, anyway, especially if the enemy layout is Gothic-style static and not level scaled. That's a huge +1 in my book.

Gord

Arcane
Have fun! There's also a modding section (english and german) on the official Nehrim forums (found on sureai.de), if you feel the need to mod Nehrim, this might provide some insights.

Monocause

Arcane
@OP:

If you were disappointed with Skyrim then Oblivion is never going to be a fun game for you. Heck, I really enjoy Skyrim and still found heavily modded Oblivion to be unbearable. I think it's not the gamplay per se that kills the game for me - it's the uninspired game world and totally misdirected production values.

The fact that both vanilla Oblivion and Oblivion with OOO were terribly unbalanced didn't help.

Multi-headed Cow

Oblivion's fun if you use FCOM Convergence and that one combat mod. Deadly Reflexes is the name I think. Fun in the sense that it turns in to a fairly decent first person action RPG with no/really crippled level scaling and deadlier enemies.

Nael

Arcane
The Elder Scrolls games are utter shit and trying to improve them with mods is like hoping to salvage a decent dinner out of a pile of poorly digested diarrhea.

Yer an idiot. Stop tryin to act hard.

TripJack

Hedonist
Oblivion's fun if you use FCOM Convergence and that one combat mod. Deadly Reflexes is the name I think. Fun in the sense that it turns in to a fairly decent first person action RPG with no/really crippled level scaling and deadlier enemies.
no

as to the op, the answer is no and will be no for the rest of eternity

have a nice day

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You enjoy the level scaling and voice acting?

Brilliant dee-duh!ction skills there. R00FLES!

Sorry, hard to interpret your yapping sometimes.

No amount of mods can ever fix a shitty game and engine.

By your own admission you haven't even tried it.

I'll vouch for him. I've tried it and he's right. There are plenty of other mediocre to bad ARPG's out there you can play without the requisite 20+ hours of modding.

bhlaab

Erudite
I've only ever played Oblivion with a shitload of mods. And while I don't doubt that my experience was much better than if I had played vanilla it was still just so fucking boring. I limped over the finish line and immediately uninstalled.

I loved Morrowind and I'm in the middle of highly enjoying Skyrim right now. So it's not me, it's the game. The whole thing feels like what would happen if you had a robot design your game for you.

Hunting down, choosing, and installing the mods was more fun than playing the game with them.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'll vouch for him. I've tried it and he's right. There are plenty of other mediocre to bad ARPG's out there you can play without the requisite 20+ hours of modding.

How many are single character sandbox games without that accursed behind-the-ass-camera? I never could into Gothic due to this.
Apart from the TES games I can't think of any. Skyrim is out of the question for me due to being Steam only.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

How many are single character sandbox games without that accursed behind-the-ass-camera? I never could into Gothic due to this.
Apart from the TES games I can't think of any. Skyrim is out of the question for me due to being Steam only.

Play KoA Recokoning, it is stable bug free and is fun to play.... When you can stomach the Art Direction from WoW. it is Oblivion made right in INMHO.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Play KoA Recokoning, it is stable bug free and is fun to play.... When you can stomach the Art Direction from WoW. it is Oblivion made right in INMHO.

Too much MMO-quests and overall repetitiveness, and in a bad way. At first I really liked the game, but it got boring rather quickly. Diablo gets repetitive in five minutes, but it's still fun to play, KoA is not.

roll-a-die

Magister
Ye hast taunted me out of my lurking while I am caring for a newborn, and going back at school. Curses, why must I be compelled to shit post in Oblivion mods threads.

Short answer, No.
The main flaws of oblivion still exist in most of the mods. shitty dialogue, poorly thought out dungeons that more resemble closets than proper dungeons. Lack of unique enemies(MMM adds mostly enemies we've already seen before). Quest design that is ludacrisly simple. World design that is bland, and unnatural in it's color scheme. Finally the world is still feels tiny.

Long answer, maybe, if you don't care about those things.

The main things that have been fixed, are, combat system, it becomes slightly better when you add DR, it's not great by any means but it becomes close to acceptable.
Beyond that, if you don't mind the pallete being mostly the same, UL adds a fair bit of marginally interesting terrain, that is restricted because of the fact that the engine SUCKS for doing interesting terrain, requiring you to make solid meshes, like the ones you see in skyrim, to do any hard/natural geometry that isn't rolling hills.
The focus of UL, is mostly on making more interesting forest terrain, which while an interesting endevor, there are frequently conflicts between the mods, because an author makes a mistake.
Quest design has been helped along by things like Integration, which suffers because it was written by a german person, so it has the standard, "This is not a native English speaking persons" mistakes.
Other than that, there's also Kragmor's Quests, or something like that, which suffer because they use a bunch of dungeons MMM/OOO modify and have the low level quests sending you into high level OOO dungeons.
The leveling systems been improved by Progress and a host of other leveling mods, my personal favorite when I played oblivion was nGCD, because it did the elder scrolls skill gain in an interesting way.

So if you can get over all that, it'll make oblivion improve from shit that forms the base of shit mountain, to the tip of shit mountain, the sole place where shitty mediocre games reside.

Oh dear, babies crying, time to feed the demon, or possibly change it.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why waste your time with a game in which the players had to put in a fuckton of work to try and improve it in all its departments? The core of the game is still the same, you know.

Given its immense popularity and modding capability, one would think that there would be a lot of independent modules, quests and total conversions but no, the majority of mods are there to fix shit. Sad.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Go play WoW in first person view then.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
octavius has to be a troll. has to be.

He sort of is... I'm just now remembering his fetish for first person view and how he isn't immersed enough without it. He only doesn't consider party based games RPGs because you can't 'play a role.'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom