Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Codex Year of the Donut

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are these RPGs (lots of quests, dialogues, C&C) or hack n slashes/tactical games focusing on combat?
1 is a mix, two are quest/plot-heavy, one is combat heavy. They're all worth buying.

I'll let you figure out which :popcorn:
So Exiled Kingdoms and Balrum are the ones quest-heavy? I'm only interested in those and would be half the price without bundle

aleph

Arcane
First of all Steam version of the River of time might not even run on a modern PC. I literally check everyday if they released it on GOG (what's the hold up Dammit??). And yes as far as 3D party based RPGs go, its good.

I played it couple of months ago on Win10. It worked, but not in fullscreen just in windowed mode.

Last edited:

Maxie

really sad that Maxie will just randomly rate my posts out of malice and give people the wrong idea about a game being posted in here. poor devs don't deserve this.

real class act that guy
dude you've been shilling for CUCK SIMULATOR don't play martyr lmao

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm loving NFS Heat, but I'm coming to the end, does Forza Horizon 4 compare well? Is the drive-feel at all similar?
Forza Horizon 4 (and 3) are simcade, they sacrifice the sense of speed for tighter driving that's a bit more demanding. I personally don't find both games to be as thrilling as any NFS, but they're very good upbeat sightseeing open world racers.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
WRF Studios, the studios that has been making urban fantasy, mostly vampire-themed, games for over 30 years, and are recently known for same-y looking vampire hack and slash started from BloodLust... they finally make something else. A sci-fi hack and slasher!

ss_d7bd4a3aa62649ee09b28d9bd4915bdb4619a904.600x338.jpg
ss_9bb3bb0fbbba752a8ec18ff04570eef9a6947f85.600x338.jpg

Earth's Shadow is a third person action Sci-Fi dungeon crawler set in the year 3081 on planet Sumbra; a remote alien planet where legends of valuable relics surround this black world, calling to the greedy and brave explorers seeking a bright future... but end up uncovering an even darker past.

Working a dead-end job... Alexi-Ru, a cyborg CSP (cargo ship pilot), tends to fill the void-ness of his boring flight job by day-dreaming of the mysterious stories surrounding planet Sumbra, aka Earth's Shadow.

In the year 3081, the original Earth and it's galaxy has been dead for centuries, and although a few humans still exist, colonized in far away sectors... Earth's legacy is not forgotten with some even referring to Sumbra, as the shadow of Earth.

Intrigued by Earth's history, Alexi-Ru often finds himself flying millions of light-clicks off his normal cargo route just to speed by the mysterious planet, hoping to catch a glimpse of something on the alien surface via radar that might force him to slow down or possibly even stop.

Eventually Alexi-Ru's curiosity is justified when his ship encounters a malfunction one night, while passing by the tiny planet, forcing him to crash-land on the surface he dreamed of so often on previous flights.

Alexi-Ru remembers his attention right before the impending crash, focused on an un-jostled book, thrown from a compartment during the violent atmosphere re-entry, titled... "When Day-Dreams Turn To Nightmares"

"That doesn't mean anything," mumbles Alexi-Ru, trying to re-assure himself as he arms himself with a Tec-9000 semi-automatic and sets forth to explore... Earth's Shadow.

Features
  • Explore and uncover secrets from an ancient alien civilization
  • Find and equip weapons and tech with dynamic stats and modifiers
  • Crawl through procedural and custom locations
  • All loot is random, making each playthrough a different experience

In before the aliens are actually vampires.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

I refunded both Heroes of Steel and The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians...
Heroes of Steel has a classical party of fighter/mage/cleric/rogue. Each of those classes has two subclasses available for choice, which you have to pick at character creation as they dictate the look of the character aswell. So rogue can be a classical cloak and dagger rogue or an archer, but you have to make the choice at creation and can never go back on it. And sadly most characters are extremely ugly.
The raw combat and crawling after that is ok, but the progression is a bit shallow and I have a hard time enjoying a combatfag game which gives me this little ability to customise my party.

The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians is Grimrock, but with less/worse puzzles and shitty WoW inspired combat with ability cooldowns and all. The crawling itself was alright, but the very MMO like combat and itemisation had a large disconnect with the genre, and was unappealing for me.

Imo both are C+ rpgs. They are alright if you run out of stuff to play and start to really scrape the bottom of the barrel, but if you are willing to play low budget indies like this you can have better experiences for cheaper if you stick to stuff like:

If you are willing to spend a bit more look at:

I have not played the other two games in the bundle, but from the two I have played I would advise against it, unless you have really grazed the Steam store empty.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you are willing to spend a bit more look at: Operencia
Would brofist if not for this. Operencia is just a prettier Dungeon Guardians in TB - same kind of boring levels, same MMO-ish chardev.

Imo Operencia is a full class above Dungeon Guardians. It is nowhere near as derivative of Grimrock, it has some nice puzzles (some real bullshit too but whatever), the Hungarian mythology spin gives it a real edge, the game is gorgeous and the itemisation is ok if you do the puzzles and get the more interesting gear. I also liked some of the characters, like that thief Joska. I played on the hardest difficulty, and build him as a poisoner. His asphyxiation skill with an aoe instant kill effect was really nice to have in the final stages.
But yeah it is a bit weak compared to Xulima and Dungeon Rats specifically, I just skimmed my library quickly for other recommendations, since ripping into something without providing alternatives is always a bit weak.

I would put up Legends of Eisenwald as another cheap and nice game if someone wants a low fantasy Schwarzwald Disciples:

JDR13

Arcane
WRF Studios, the studios that has been making urban fantasy, mostly vampire-themed, games for over 30 years, and are recently known for same-y looking vampire hack and slash started from BloodLust... they finally make something else. A sci-fi hack and slasher!

It would need to be a huge improvement over their previous games to be worth checking out.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
dude you've been shilling for CUCK SIMULATOR don't play martyr lmao

Where have I ever shilled for it? I made a let's play because it's funny.. never did I tell anyone to buy it, in fact the LP allows people to have fun w/ it without buying it.. so how is that shilling? and what does that have anything to do with Intergalactic Fishing?

how about you stop being a fucking loser?

V_K

Arcane
Operencia [...] has some nice puzzles
Admittedly, I didn't get very far (Deva's Fortress is where it bored me into giving up), but puzzles were the biggest disappointment for me. Like, they put some effort into making them visually and mechanically different - and then ruined everything by making your characters outright tell you the solution every single time.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I bought Railway Empire - It looks a bit casual but it really isn't, there are a ton of variables to it.
Also it teaches me US geography. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom