Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

How did this game turn out? I remember being turned off by it because there was a giant Slavic circle-jerk going on around the game during its Kickstarter. After being burned by The Witcher, I ignored it.

Machocruz

Arcane
I think so. Survivalcraft has been one of my two favorite genres for the past few years, but I know a lot of people here think they are pointless. But the progression feels just right, you're building/getting better stuff at a good clip. Resources aren't laborious to gather and you don't need stupid amounts to build stuff. The alien ocean environment is immersive and beautiful. In a way it scratches the Metroid Prime itch with its exploration, scanning stuff, getting better stuff to explore further, cool tech, alien world, 'mysterious' plot. Not really any combat from what I've seen so far (13 hours in). You can kill some things with your little knife, but not worth the effort. Probably going to wait until I get a better PC to play further, as I have to run it on medium-low settings to get a smooth frame-rate. Game deserves better.

Last edited:

Krivol

Magister
I think so. Survivalcraft has been one of my two favorite genres for the past few years, but I know a lot of people here think they are pointless. But the progression feels just right, you're building/getting better stuff at a good clip. Resources aren't laborious to gather and you don't need stupid amounts to build stuff. The alien ocean environment is immersive and beautiful. In a way it scratches the Metroid Prime itch with its exploration, scanning stuff, getting better stuff to explore further, cool tech, alien world, 'mysterious' plot. Not really any combat from what I've seen so far (13 hours in). You can kill some things with your little knife, but not worth the effort. Probably going to wait until I get a better PC to play further, as I have to run it on medium-low settings to get a smooth frame-rate. Game deserves better.

Yeah, game is great. The idea to not give a player any weapon (besides weak knife) is awesome and builds great feel of danger. It has lovecraftian vibe in some places and is actually quite stressful when youhave look for O2 during exporation. Also nice - if simplistic - base building. And visuals are incredible.

How did this game turn out? I remember being turned off by it because there was a giant Slavic circle-jerk going on around the game during its Kickstarter. After being burned by The Witcher, I ignored it.

It's a good game. Setting is more Darklands than Witcher.

Listen

everyone raves about darklands

But isn't the combat in that game terrible? like you can't control shit?

i don't regret not playing it.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Operencia [...] has some nice puzzles
Admittedly, I didn't get very far (Deva's Fortress is where it bored me into giving up), but puzzles were the biggest disappointment for me. Like, they put some effort into making them visually and mechanically different - and then ruined everything by making your characters outright tell you the solution every single time.

The NPCs telling you puzzle solutions never gets better. I remember a puzzle from the second to last area that was spoiled by an NPC. I turned off voiceover eventually for that reason.
But the puzzles themselves get pretty good, with some strong thematic hints. I remember a puzzle where three parallel hallways were painted with the heads of a three headed dragon, and you needed to take them in the right order.
Also I liked the Metroidvania element of the game giving you progression abilities later which you need in earlier dungeons. In Deva's Fortress you get the ability to repair long destroyed buildings, there are a few bridges you can repair in the first dungeon with that for extra fights and loot.

I finished the game, and while the final boss is a bit disappointing (JRPG bullshit, has 10 different phases and is invulnerable half of the fight as he swaps phases and delivers dialogue) the dungeons get a LOT more whimsical and interesting. You enter the mechanical forest of a dwarven king, climb the branches of the world tree, waltz into the glass castle of the underworld and raid the tomb of Attila the Hun.

I like it a bit more than MMX even, both flawed experiences but with definitive strengths in some areas which make up for the flaws in my book.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

It's good,it's on the difficult side but good.Definitely worth the money.Bastard and Road to Iron Forrest were also good

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
the dungeons get a LOT more whimsical and interesting. You enter the mechanical forest of a dwarven king, climb the branches of the world tree, waltz into the glass castle of the underworld and raid the tomb of Attila the Hun.
You should play Anvil of Dawn then. That one has both creative dungeons and proper, unspoiled puzzles.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
the dungeons get a LOT more whimsical and interesting. You enter the mechanical forest of a dwarven king, climb the branches of the world tree, waltz into the glass castle of the underworld and raid the tomb of Attila the Hun.
You should play Anvil of Dawn then. That one has both creative dungeons and proper, unspoiled puzzles.

No worries, I plan to, eventually.
I havn't gotten into any of ye olde real time blobbers properly yet, Lands of Lore, Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master, Anvil of Dawn are all still in my backlog for rainy days.

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeah, game is great. The idea to not give a player any weapon (besides weak knife) is awesome and builds great feel of danger. It has lovecraftian vibe in some places and is actually quite stressful when youhave look for O2 during exporation. Also nice - if simplistic - base building. And visuals are incredible.
Yep, all that too. Couldn't agree more.

Machocruz

Arcane
Too bad the developers are leftist cucks that fired their sound designer because he posted mildly conservative remarks via his private account.

Nothing worse than giving money to scum.
Didn't know. I didn't buy Caves of Qud because of the developers' leftist lunacy. Can't refund now. Unfortunately, leftists seem to produce the bulk of the "good" entertainment.

Last edited:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Can't refund now.
If it's any consolation, the game itself is fun for what it is, in large part because of the sound design too.

Unfortunately, leftists seem to produce the bulk of the "good" entertainment.
Of course they do, since anyone that goes against Marxist dogma is unpersoned - the whole of leftist entertainment is made up of leftist commissars rooting out heretics and people too afraid to speak against the propaganda push, so you end up with an industry where nearly all games are made by a large mass of downtrodden wage slaves under orders from a small minority of vocal lunatics.

Not everyone is like the Factorio dev with enough "fuck you" money to ignore the screeching of the communist filth.

Codex Year of the Donut
qud just gets worse with every update, it probably won't ever be finished.
It's sad because there's clearly a kernel of a good game there before the brain parasite infected the developers

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
xytlrswqvg771.jpg

Latelistener

Arcane
Axiom Verge is having a historical low:

Also, Hand of Fate + DLC bundle is historical low again:

These two are also getting their historical lows both on the second time:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

This game looks really good, and has entertainment gameplay mechanics, but the problem with it is that it's all about the grind. Build, expand and upgrade your stuff, and then grind for hours on end for miniscule upgrades.

Harthwain

Magister
There is 60% price cut on Carcassonne (and its expansions):

I picked it up. The base game as I remember it - great. I am also impressed with the AI. It's really efficient when it comes to placing the tiles, so winning isn't quite walk in the park it usually is when AI is concerned.

If you wonder what expansions to buy I can wholeheartedly recommend "The River", "Inns & Cathedrals" and "Traders & Builders". I didn't touch "The Princess & the Dragon" yet (only did the tutorial to get the general idea for it).

Latelistener

Arcane
A bit late to the party but I'm still playing the demos (only a handful of them aren't playable anymore).

NORCO is nice. Although I enjoyed the first half more, the writing is really good: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1221250/NORCO/

Unpacking has a simple idea, but it does it well: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135690/Unpacking/

Greak has a potential to be really great. I'm surprised that almost no one nowadays is trying to do something in the vein of Lost Vikings: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1311070/Greak_Memories_of_Azur/

Little Witch is a lot better than I expected. You can tell that the game is made by koreans just by checking the screenshots and as usual with indie games from these countries the translation is not really good (maybe they should reduce the amount of dialogues): https://store.steampowered.com/app/1594940/Little_Witch_in_the_Woods/

Glyph is another game I expected to be worse, but it's actually a competently designed physics puzzle game. Used to be a Switch exclusive: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1569150/Glyph/

Grotto reminds of games by Ice-Pick Lodge, especially The Void. It's an art house CYOA, but towards the end the decisions became binary which I disliked, but it's still something unique: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1538850/Grotto/

Omno is looking good, but the demo was short so it's hard to say how the full game will fare: https://store.steampowered.com/app/969760/Omno/

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox. Well it's Nihon Falcom and they're doing it again. Judging by the amount of settings the game has, they put a lot of effort into the PC version (maybe they're keeping Durante on board after he patched YS VIII?). 3D environments are still kind of bland though, but everything else is good: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1351630/Ys_IX_Monstrum_Nox/

UnMetal is a MGS parody, but it has some good writing and it doesn't take itself too seriously: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1203710/UnMetal/

Latelistener

Arcane
Only five can be embed in one post so I decided not to use them in this case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom