Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Two Steamworks games (you get Steam keys) will be on sale at GetGamesGo on the 27th for a day:

Serious Sam 3 66% off ($10)
Deus Ex HR 75% off (didn't check what their base price is)

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Two Steamworks games (you get Steam keys) will be on sale at GetGamesGo on the 27th for a day:

Serious Sam 3 66% off ($10)
Deus Ex HR 75% off (didn't check what their base price is)
Is this site legitimate? It looks like those stereotypical scam sites.

Multi-headed Cow

I might do Serious Sam 3 for $10. Not sure yet, I know it'll inevitably get cheaper, but $10 seems ok. Hell, vaguely kicking around the idea of picking up $5 Medal of Honor on Steam today just to fuck around with the campaign. Probably won't though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I doubt SS3 will dip below $10 until the Summer. Even then it's a stretch.

Multi-headed Cow

Summer sale most likely. And I wouldn't be surprised if we get some big publisher sale or two before then.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Waiting for SS3 to be at 5$ before buying it. The SS1 and SS2 remakes plummeted in price real fast.

Keep in mind: 1) They were remakes; 2) They had a lower starting price point; and 3) the dramatic sales on those were meant to attract people to buy SS3. Eventually I'm sure it will hit $5 but I'd be somewhat surprised if it did so within a year.

Bruticis

GetGamesGo ran out of SS3 keys in December very quickly, before I could get on the deal. Thanks for the heads up, going to try to grab it ASAP this time.

The Ticktockman

Scholar
By the way, the Sonic Generations sale at Amazon ($10 with the $5 promo coupon) allows you to register Sonic in Steam, which was a pleasant surprise to me. That "list of game keys that register on Steam" is apparently out of date and unreliable.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
From Derp (Dust) is the midweek deal at $5. Warning: crappy and short.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Titan Quest Gold (Titan Quest and TQ: Inmortal Throne) for $4.99. Yay or nay?

Multi-headed Cow

Mostly yay. They did a great job with loot in the game, and the "Create a class" system with picking and choosing your skill trees is nicely done. The two biggest issues with Titan Quest for me was not enough functional enemy variety (You'll get varied enemy graphics in different areas but they mostly behave the same) and way way WAY too long. Too long might sound like a weird complaint, but in an action RPG where you want to replay on higher difficulties for phatter lewtz and more challenge, having a long campaign is a bit of a pain in the ass. Especially when the campaign drags ass quite often.

So yeah. If you like Diablo-style action RPGs it's worth checking out for $5. If you're mostly indifferent toward them probably skip it and get Torchlight 1 and/or 2. If you dislike them, friend computer says report to the food vats for reeducation immediately.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So in other words: interesting class system, completely let down by fighting the same enemies the whole game a la korean MMO grinder.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So in other words: interesting class system, completely let down by fighting the same enemies the whole game a la korean MMO grinder.

Yes. I've always described Titan Quest as 'soulless.' The class system is terrific as are the abilities and it allows for a lot of complimentary builds in co-op. Unfortunately, the game itself is bland and consists of little more than vast open spaces filled with dozens upon dozens of simplistic monsters. No atmosphere or much of a challenge at all. Save the $5 and put it towards Torchlight 2.

Angthoron

Arcane
I rather liked TQ, it's certainly more fun than Torchlight (for me), and it actually has multiplayer (co-op), so you can actually play it with friends. It does get repetitive, as pretty much any game of its kind, and the starting level of difficulty is a little too easy. Class mix/match system can be pretty neat, especially if you're into min/maxing.

As for From Dust, well... I expected more. Much more. Even from the little that I expected. It's just a collection of (console-level) pretty physics minigames. If it was bundled with an actual game, it'd be pretty cool, as it is, eh, meh.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah I've been debating whether or not to pick that up since I'm probably getting SS3 later this week. I probably will although I've heard there have been issues with retail versions having faulty/pre-used CD keys.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Forget that $10 on SS3 -- GetGamesGo raised the list price from $30 to $40 just today... probably in anticipation of that 66% off sale. Passing on that then~

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom