Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

kazgar

Arcane
I got King's bounty: Darkside and postal 2 (when it was 99c)

Looked at a few other things, but i got enough to play through first and I assume the things i ummed and ahhed about will probably just be cheaper next sale or end up in a bundle in the meantime.
(heresy I know)

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I got Grim Dawn to try and relive the glory days of Diablo 2 with my brother, and Ultimate General: Gettysburg, to try and relive the glory days of Sid Meier's: Gettysburg.

Oof. :negative:

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
was there ever a good sale?
i mean i dont know, but it feels like its always the same in some way.
indie and old games get high discounts, while enw stuff doesnt or just in the 10-33% range.
than again, i ma newfag, so what do i know, but can someone explain what they honestly expected (based on experience or whatnot)?

seems like people just use steam sales to bitch (which is cool), but it gets confusing for potatoeheads like me

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
indie and old games get high discounts, while new stuff doesn't or just in the 10-33% range.
Audiences are generally much more likely to buy a video game (or movie ticket or music album for that matter) while it's still new, so if the developers offer a discount soon after release, they might be throwing away their only chance on being able to charge full price for a significant number of copies.

Nobody but hardcore fans would probably pay full price if they knew they could get it for +33% off during the next few months. Of course, savvy developers could choose to overprice the game and then offer an immediate "discount", but I think that it would set a bad precedent in the long run. With indies it's a little different, since they often need the additional exposure from a front-page sale.

Jeff Vogel wrote an article on video game pricing you can read here.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
indie and old games get high discounts, while enw stuff doesnt or just in the 10-33% range.
than again, i ma newfag, so what do i know, but can someone explain what they honestly expected (based on experience or whatnot)?

seems like people just use steam sales to bitch (which is cool), but it gets confusing for potatoeheads like me
some people just have some mental limitations and are not able to grasp the fact that not all games will get -95% discounts, because developers and publishers do not want to commit financial suicide, or the fact that if they already have all games they are interested in, then they might not find anything more on sale.

Explorerbc

Arcane
2-3 years ago the sales were much better.

Higher discounts, more deals, developer packs from every big publisher, even the shitty activities were better: xmas '11 for example sometimes dropped games instead of coal in your inventory. Plus you could trade with other regions etc.

A lot has changed since then. All that remains is a sadness of bundle fodder and undiscounted season passes.

Last edited:

Gozma

Arcane
Got Dead State only.

Put Morrowind in the cart and then took it out 'cuz I know I would work on mods for 5 hours and then quit playing + uninstall it after 30 minutes

Considered shit like Dishonored but I'd never end up playing it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Sales were really good about four or five years ago but slowly started to dry up. Now you have featured deals that don't even get additional discounts, bundle trash that's 90% off, or moronic discounts that lower the prices of a game from $0.75 to $0.50.

Let's breakdown what filthy beggar Kony bought since he claimed it was a 'good sale.'

Antichamber
Shit indie puzzle game that's been in at least two bundles that I know of... surprised he didn't get it from the beg thread.

Shit indie I have no idea what with a base price of $3... was probably like fifty cents during the sale. Has been in a few bundles and was released six years ago.

Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Crusader Kings II: Iberian Unit Pack
Crusader Kings II: Iberian Portraits
CK2 DLC that's been in bundles and discounted 75% numerous times.

Day of Defeat: Source
WTF? 2010 Source version of Day of Defeat... does anyone even play this anymore?

Dead Space 2
Released in 2011, Origin version was in a Humble Bundle, been $5 or less numerous times the last several years.

Trash indie game with a base price of $2. He probably got it for a nickel.

Empire: Total War
Empire: Total War: Elite Units of the East
2009 game that's been 75% off a bajillion times.

Imperial Glory
2005 game with a $5 base price. He probably got it for a buck or less.

Revolution Ace
$5 base price, cost him a potato during the sale.

Some trash indie game that's currently TWENTY CENTS on sale.

Tales of Maj'Eyal
Tales of Maj'Eyal - Ashes of Urh'Rok
Tales of Maj'Eyal - Steam UI
Bundled numerous times. He must have been sick that day from the beg thread.

Temper Tantrum
Some shit indie game that's $1 retail. Probably got it for potato scrapings.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Elite Soldier Pack
XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Slingshot DLC
XCOM: Enemy Within
He probably begged base X-Com from the beg thread since it was in a 2K humble. Enemy Within was released three years ago.

Why So Evil
$5 shit indie game that was probably $1 or less during the sale.

So, there you have it. You see a long list like Konny posts and think 'Wow, lots of guuuuuud dealz.' But, nah, it's just a bunch of shit he bought with card money from all the indie games he's begged. My one purchase of Risen 3 probably cost more than all of this shit combined.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Medieval is awesome as usual.Campaign map is best in all of the series.Battles are fun if you can tolerate the graphics and OP stacks of 16 royal knights.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
YES.
Biggest flaw is the endless conveyor of top of the line units you pump from regions into faceless stacks.First mods I ever download in new total war games is unit recruitment ones.Only in Medieval 2 they restricted the best units ,but since then it's getting worse and worse.(Empire and Napoleon had the historical excuse for that at least)
Other that that all Total War shitty parts are presented- Dumbed down,unhistorical,most broken diplomacy,passive campaign AI,shitty battle engine...

edit: atrocious UI

Also this is good watch on Rome2's battles state:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom