Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Haven't been looking super deep, but the semi-notable discounts are Fractured But Whole, Dark Souls Remastered (If you own Prepare to Die already you get an extra discount, making it $4), and that's mostly it other than the usual suspects. Not much catching my eye, thinking about picking up Project Warlock now since after trying it I was a little bit wishy washy, but he patched in a higher difficulty and with a discount, eh. Surprisingly enough the Blood remaster is only 25% off despite them throwing 50% coupons around like candy at launch. Might pick up some of those garbage CYOA games I like playing just because I can wait for them to enter the group bundle for another discount on top of everything which enters "Cheaper than buying CYOA books at a used bookstore" territory. Admittedly this isn't the kind of CYOA book I'd buy normally, but who knows. Maybe a text-based drag queen RPG adventure will be the next Fallout.

Curratum

Haven't been looking super deep, but the semi-notable discounts are Fractured But Whole, Dark Souls Remastered (If you own Prepare to Die already you get an extra discount, making it $4), and that's mostly it other than the usual suspects. Not much catching my eye, thinking about picking up Project Warlock now since after trying it I was a little bit wishy washy, but he patched in a higher difficulty and with a discount, eh. Surprisingly enough the Blood remaster is only 25% off despite them throwing 50% coupons around like candy at launch. Might pick up some of those garbage CYOA games I like playing just because I can wait for them to enter the group bundle for another discount on top of everything which enters "Cheaper than buying CYOA books at a used bookstore" territory. Admittedly this isn't the kind of CYOA book I'd buy normally, but who knows. Maybe a text-based drag queen RPG adventure will be the next Fallout.

If you're doing CYOA, at least do the good kind:

If you're doing CYOA, at least do the good kind:
I do both, I just have fun with the Choice Of/Hosted Games ones too. Even though a lot of them veer into "Having fun laughing at it" territory. The exception are the Kevin Gold games which actually do have pretty good C&C and relatively difficult skillchecks (Some of these are guilty of having really forgiving checks so you can just sorta bumble your way through. Kevin Gold's games you usually have to specialize and focus to pull off the good shit later)

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/763/Kevin_Gold_Bundle/

Curratum

Say what, Gaben? That's not how math works...

6jlUFP4.png

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Great, now I wait until the last few days of the sale if anything better pops up elsewhere or on Humble Monthly. I didn't even realize how past impulse buys I am these days.

mastroego

Arcane
It's like I woke up to find the Steam thread switched to a mysterious dead language or something.
Except I didn't even go to bed.

What the fuck guys.

Ivan

Arcane
Neither, wait for steeper sale. Here's my haul:

Dead Secret Double Feature - Homie Zombra recommended it
Slay the Spire - heard good shit
ATOM: RPG - the time has come and so have I
Downfall - recently played The Cat Lady and had a great time with it
Finding Paradise - follow up to To The Moon
Thronebreaker
- more witcher
The Room Three - had a great time w/previous 2 entries
Supraland - had a great time with the demo
Dusk/Amid Evil Bundle - give me some of that old time religion
Overload - pew pew pew
Celeste - highly recommended platformer
Yakuza Kiwami - Kyriuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Gorogoa - heard good shit
Okami - some unfinished business as I never did finish it on my ps2

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Surprisingly little on my wishlist that's on sale. Might get Quantum Break just because it's Remedy, and maybe try my hand at some cheap JRPGs since I always feel like flirting with that genre, but that's about it. I'm assuming Ryse isn't worth the $6 just for Crytek pretties?

Ivan

Arcane
Be forewarned that Quantum Break is Remedy's most cinematic game to date. I tried it for a few hours and couldn't handle it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Be forewarned that Quantum Break is Remedy's most cinematic game to date. I tried it for a few hours and couldn't handle it.

Yeah that's why I haven't gotten it before, but their redhead in skinny jeans game coming soon has me kind of wanting to give it a go and $10 is a decent price. I'm not sure though, we'll see. The TV show sections would probably drive me nuts.

Wild Slop

Arcane
WTF Devil May Cry V has a 34% dscount but the older DMC HD collection isn't even on sale?

BTW South Park Fractured but Whole has a 90% discount,biggest one so far,is this one worth it?Played the first and liked it but I thought it was a bit short and without any replayability so wasn't worth the full price.What's the Kodex Kritical Konsensus on the second one?

PS. Who the fuck made that stupid Summer Sale Race metagame,this thing is more complicated than half the games on sale

This had my eye too but I see it requires going through UPlay, also the game is said to have more of the terrible timed button mashing sequences that I hated from the 1st.

Yosharian

Arcane
Surprisingly little on my wishlist that's on sale. Might get Quantum Break just because it's Remedy, and maybe try my hand at some cheap JRPGs since I always feel like flirting with that genre, but that's about it. I'm assuming Ryse isn't worth the $6 just for Crytek pretties?
Do NOT buy Quantum Break, it's fucking awful. Thank god I was able to refund that piece of shit.

If you need more convincing than that, my biggest issues with the game were:

1) Story is dogshit
2) Gunplay is fucking horrendous and basically just filler that doesn't fit this game type at all
3) Cutscenes are boring as fuck and way too long
4) Exploration/traversal gameplay is really tiresome and boring, designed to be easy enough for a braindead monkey to solve

And this is coming from someone who actually likes this kind of game, for example I liked Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls (Detroit: Become Human was trash though). Oh and I love science-fiction.

I repeat do not waste your money on this garbage game

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Pathfinder and Elex are $20... which should I buy?
I think Kingmaker is the better game but there's no denying that Elex has a certain janky charm to it.

If it helps, Kingmaker is in a much better state than it was on release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom