Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Morkar Left

anybody tried Medieval Kingdom Wars?

iu

Ivan

Arcane
Did you blow a lot of dosh on expensive titles or just buy a ton of indies? I myself spend a good bit that should last me until the Xmas sale

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Dunno if I'm going to buy anything more as I'm reasonably stocked up but this is my list so far:

Lelith path of progress: I like Impressions style city builders and this seems in that vein.

Friday the 13th without any dlc: Apparently game is considered dead but eh I like the concept of these run away and hide from horror character games so hoping to find at least a few people when I give it a shot.

Earth Defence Force: The first game I've been playing a lot of lately. Really is Starship Troopers the game and I love every cheesy second of it. From my brief stint online people who play this seem a fun lot aswell , was playing with a bunch of redneck types all USA! USA! USA! and spouting starcraft terran-esque lines and it was amusing, even felt compelled to join in with my very british accent. Played 5 hours straight with those lads, a good time was had by all.
Also didn't this game used to be way more expensive? I swear they lowered the price on top of the sales discount.

Towers of time: The other game I've been playing. Wtf did I wait so long before buying this? Feared it might be some low budget rpg riding on the coat tails of pathfinder but I have been pleasantly surprised, not least because it's one of the few dungeon crawlers I've played where I was legit interested in exploring the dungeon and you do get the vibe serious shit went down and you're just piecing together the aftermatch. It's a bit like exploring ancient ruins in Age of Decadence if that makes sense (this comparison works on two levels since the setting in ToT is also about civilization being in a precarious situation and much of the technology of old is forgotten due to some disaster no one really remember the exact details of).

Hello,

I'm happy to address your capacity (now max points). It looks like you correctly received max points based on your previous purchases and event participation, and have earned and boosted points up to that maximum. Each day you participate in the event, you'll have 100 added to your max points, leaving you eligible to earn 100 more points and convert them into tokens through boosting.

Regarding your total tokens, I apologize if the word 'converted' caused any confusion here. The number of tokens currently in your Pit Stop balance is equivalent to the number of points you have earned and boosted throughout the Grand Prix only, not the total tokens you've earned for both events.

I hope that clarifies things, and I apologize for any confusion. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Steam Support
Anna
:hmmm:
Although on the bright side, they edited the pit stop (Yet again) to say "lol bruh those tokens we said you had? Naw dawg, those were points from the lunar new year sale and you spent them we're just fuckin' with ya lol". So sure enough, "Your max points increases by 100 every day" means it'll stay at 100 forever, and even though there's no mention of it resetting every day (Or there was no mention. Maybe they've since changed it but I'll be damned if I'm gonna go look) it does. I'll be damned. It also doesn't explain how it lists some buddies on my friends list are doing thousands a day without buying anything.

Modron

Arcane
:hmmm:
Although on the bright side, they edited the pit stop (Yet again) to say "lol bruh those tokens we said you had? Naw dawg, those were points from the lunar new year sale and you spent them we're just fuckin' with ya lol". So sure enough, "Your max points increases by 100 every day" means it'll stay at 100 forever, and even though there's no mention of it resetting every day (Or there was no mention. Maybe they've since changed it but I'll be damned if I'm gonna go look) it does. I'll be damned. It also doesn't explain how it lists some buddies on my friends list are doing thousands a day without buying anything.
It means exactly as it says you'll get 100 points max a day; it doesn't reset everyday, don't spend your points for 10 days you'll have a 1000 points total max, et cetera. The thousands a day buddies probably didn't just cash in all their points on the first day or just got the 1000 points bonus on the 3rd and 4th day from valve in regards to some weirdness on the first 2 days and then maybe did the 4 bonus quests on the 5th day or something (although I do wonder about the quests in highlighted games if they add up to your limit or onto it).

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It's a shitty event -- you basically have to spend $100+ to get a $5 coupon.
eh, I think that's why people are exploiting it like crazy atm.

anyway, I never mess with that event stuff. The sale prices are decent enough.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Looks pretty cool, actually. Let us know if you give it a shot and if it's worth it.

I got this one in a humble bundle many months ago. It's pretty decent, and the devs are still updating the game regularly.

It's somewhere between an AoE style RTS and Paradox/Total War world map. The world map is RTwP grand strategy like in Paradox games or Knights of Honor. You maneuver armies around and conquer enemy settlements and upgrade your own.

When two armies meet (or an army marches against a garrisoned town), it zooms into a battle map.
The battles play out with the armies that are already on the field and you can recruit new units like in an RTS. Besiegers will usually build up a couple of recruitment buildings and have their peasants gather resources. Defenders already have an established base with buildings and can train units right away. Besiegers get several siege weapons such as rams, ladders, ballistae, trebuchets. The last time I played (already some months ago) ballistae were overpowered, and easily cleaned all my archers off the walls when I defended against an enemy who had them in his ranks. Ballistae and catapults can also be constructed in towers and on some wall sections to aid the defense. Sieges are really fun and can become a huge mess of storming walls, ramming gates, and then the fighting will continue in the crowded streets. I really love that aspect of the sieges, it's not just "take the walls and win" like in most games with sieges, the fighting will go on even after taking the walls. Units are controlled in squads (like in a Total War game) and have morale, when they flee they return to the town center and rally there. The goal of battles is to take the enemy town center, or as a defender to defend until the enemy's gold runs out (rather than just an abstract timer like in Total War battles, here the attacker's gold drains away the longer the battle takes, to represent paying for the siege upkeep).

The AI is actually pretty decent and aggressive. You'll never see the AI just sitting there passively, they'll keep throwing units at you, sometimes they even try to exploit your weak spots and flank you.

If you like siege battles, this is really good.

Jinn

Arcane
Word on the street is that if you're going to put time into a Sea Dogs game, this the best one.

It's the only one I've played because of said recommendations and it's a lot of fun. Very deep and challenging.

Morkar Left

Word on the street is that if you're going to put time into a Sea Dogs game, this the best one.

It's the only one I've played because of said recommendations and it's a lot of fun. Very deep and challenging.

Depends on what you are looking for. If you are for total free roaming City of Abandoned Ships is probably better (or Pirates of the Carbbean with New Horizons mod).
To Each His Own has the best melee combat and a pretty long and extensive story with a fixed char. And it's tough btw. Lots of brickwalls right at the beginning of the story. You can rush right into it but sooner or later you will grab a walkthrough. Having quest timers isn't bad per se but in this game they would have better left it out.
But read at least the manual carefully. I mean the CoAS manual if you're not russian because there is no English one. But the games are for the most part very similar.
Or if someone is interested I have a draft ready of a Teho manual based on the CoAS (but expanded and altered to fit the game) as a torrent. It's not completely done but covers 90% of it.

Dexter

Arcane
Got few more games, I spent two 5$ off coupons to get Martyr for 14.99
If you just want some pure unadultered Space Mehreen action like that Astartes fan movie which game would be recommended? I played 40K: Space Marine by SEGA a few years back and it was kinda okay I guess, but got a bit boring after a while. Also Dawn of War II, but it felt a bit cartoony and forced. The last game I remember playing kinda scratching the itch was Star Craft II: Wings of Liberty.

I was thinking these maybe, but the reviews seem kinda concerning:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Got few more games, I spent two 5$ off coupons to get Martyr for 14.99
If you just want some pure unadultered Space Mehreen action like that Astartes fan movie which game would be recommended? I played 40K: Space Marine by SEGA a few years back and it was kinda okay I guess, but got a bit boring after a while. Also Dawn of War II, but it felt a bit cartoony and forced. The last game I remember playing kinda scratching the itch was Star Craft II: Wings of Liberty.

I was thinking these maybe, but the reviews seem kinda concerning:

Since I havent played much of any of those games I cant recommend them. I heard that Deathwing came out as a broken mess but the devs managed to make it into a decent game, I would have probably bought it if I had four friends willing to play it with me. Armada is is similar to Nexus Jupiter Incident, a good game but not for everyone. I bought Martyr since I heard some good things about it, it was made by Neocore and I like their games, also it looks like Diablo in Warhammer 40k universe which is a big plus for me.

I would recommend:

Although it price tag is a bit steep, since I bought it on fanatical for 12 euros.

In the end the game I would 100% recommend is Chaos Gate and Final Liberation on GoG.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The fourth game is a lot better. Third is a bit generic, but they upped their game big league in the fourth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom